RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: touch hole size?

Boolit Master

touch hole size?

I bought a Lyman GP Flint lock, used. It's been well treated too. The touch hole liner still screws out easily so I tried to measure the hole size. With my number drills, an .052 goes through easily and the .055 won't go. Is this good? or should I open it up?

Boolit Grand Master

Try it first and see. If it works good, leave it the way it is.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    OK I will

Boolit Grand Master

The #52 is where i usually start for a new gun. I reline at #45 or so. How is it that the smaller #55 won't go in the bigger #52 hole ????

Boolit Master
    not #55, .055

Boolit Man
    Mr. Peabody, why do you want to drill it out, does it miss fire? My opinion , for what it is worth is if it ain' t broke don't fix it. You could end up with more problems than it's worth. Ask me how I know. Wildthing

Boolit Master
    I was only trying to gain a little knowledge on the size of the things, that's all.

Perm-Banned
    what is the ideal hole size? waksupi jump in here, i want that info put in my brain for later use. got a customer interested in a custom rocklock build.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    # 49 drill bit!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Perm-Banned
    thanks

Boolit Master

#49? That's way too big maybe OK for Trade guns- smooth bores? I start with a #53 and replace at #51

RB

Boolit Master
    Guess I no nothing about building Flintlocks
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Perm-Banned
    you really made me laugh, thanks, i guess i know nothing about nothing also. so i have been told many time. told a guy my birthday is tommorow and i turn 73. he looked at me with the look of why arent you dead. i get that alot, dont know anything and why am takeing up space by being alive. its probably best to keep quiet and never say anything.

Boolit Master
    johnson1942,
    been here about 3 1/2 years; When I got here I promised myself this place would only be to discuss my new passion of Cast boolits and to never ever discuss Firelocks on this site.
    Guess I just slipped up!

Banned

yep, as already mentioned, shoot and see. larger touch holes will better insure ignition, but will increase the flare (volcano) out the vent and decrease performance to some measure. start small, drill out in small increments ONLY if need be - ignition issues that point to a too small vent, and not due to poor fouling control of the chamber, vent, pan, frizzen and hammer cock ... or to a load issue of the pan or chamber.

Perm-Banned
    so what is the most used common size for a vent hole?

Banned

whatever the barrel and lock like best, is the correct answer.

Boolit Master

I like the Chambers White Lightning touch hole liner the touch hole is a bit small at about .050 or so but works I seem to get a few pan flashes with that so I open it up with the #53 bit .0595 then chamfer the outside just a bit by hand fast and positive ignition what's not to like about that? Not a expert but I have won a few rifle matches in my time and I did stay at a Howard Johnsons one time but that was a while back

RB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    I like the Chambers White Lightning touch hole liner the touch hole is a bit small at about .050 or so but works I seem to get a few pan flashes with that so I open it up with the #53 bit .0595 then chamfer the outside just a bit by hand fast and positive ignition what's not to like about that? Not a expert but I have won a few rifle matches in my time and I did stay at a Howard Johnsons one time but that was a while back

RB
    I've never had problems with they standard size hole in the White Lightning. That being said, I doubt I ever install them on another gun. They do nothing that other vent liners don't do, and they are a non-standard vent thread size. If they go out of business, I don't know where you would find a replacement of the right size without having a machinist make one for you.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Ahhh . . . if anyone has ever stood in line with a flash hole that was way too big on another fella's gun . . . you know you need burn ointment as a necessary item in your hunting pouch. LOL Of course I guess if you smoke a pipe, you could light it easily . . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast