Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranch Dog XCB

Boolit Master

Ranch Dog XCB

Tom at accuratemolds.com is building this for me. I ordered a single cavity iron mold. The body at .310" and the nose at .300". I will load this primarily in .308 Win but also .30-06.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-180Q-D.png
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-02-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added link.
    USMC 6638

Now that's a great looking bullet! Should be awesome for hunting! This is an exciting time for bullet mold design!

Please report back once you get the mold and get a few loaded.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Grand Master

I keep saying my 30-06's are J-word only rifles but someday that may change. This boolit may be the one that gets me there.
    Good job, please keep us posted.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I will. However, I am on the road and the mold may get home before I do. Can't wait!!!
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    My wife reports that the mold arrived yesterday. That is seven days from order to arrival! On a mold that had never been made before!!! And I won't be home until the 25th...
    USMC 6638

Looks to heavy for my 30 Herrett
    Charlie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    My wife reports that the mold arrived yesterday. That is seven days from order to arrival! On a mold that had never been made before!!! And I won't be home until the 25th...
    You'll find that is typical service from Accurate Molds. Tom is like superman. For the quality he delivers (you'll see it in person soon enough) I would expect no less than a month delivery and about 20% more than he charges, but with Accurate Molds, you get reasonable price, superb quality and blazing fast shipping. I love it!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Looks to heavy for my 30 Herrett
    Charlie
    Try this one: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-160G-D.png

it is the 30 XCB (as made by Tom).
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Try this one: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-160G-D.png

it is the 30 XCB (as made by Tom).
    Not to sidetrack from the OP, but this bullet (the Accurate version of the XCB) is fast becoming a favorite of mine. I've been working on developing a hunting load for my XCB rifle "Carmen", which has a 19 1/2" barrel installed in an SR Mauser action, and an inexpensive Boyds laminate stock:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3895.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	144479
    I recently did some experimenting with duplex loading after coming into a quantity of WC860 ball powder, and found that this rifle likes 5 grains IMR4227 under a compressed load of the milsurp stuff. Bullet is lubed with Lars 2700+, and jammed into the lands. Having just installed a new scope (nothing fancy, Bushnell Banner), it took 3 shots to get her sighted in:

Name:	IMG_3898.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	144480
    Note the chronograph data, that's 2350 fps from a less than 20 inch barrel! ES and SD were also good.

Yesterday I loaded up another 20 rounds of the same, just to see that it wasn't a fluke. I didn't set up the chronograph, but I was again pleased with the results:

Name:	IMG_3910.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	144481

Definitely minute of wild boar. Got a hog hunting trip set up for early August, as I'm anxious to see what kind of terminal performance I get out of this bullet at 100+ yards. Alloy in these groups was Lyman#2.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    I've been working on developing a hunting load for my XCB rifle "Carmen", which has a 19 1/2" barrel installed in an SR Mauser action, and an inexpensive Boyds laminate stock:

Name:	IMG_3895.jpg 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	144479
    What is the chamber?

I have several .308 Win and .30-06 rifles but the one I have in mind for this boolit is a Rem 700 in .308 with the factory barrel cut and recrowned at 20".
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Chambered in 30x57 XCB, Lothar Walther barrel 1:14 twist.

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=goodsteel;3309776]You'll find that is typical service from Accurate Molds. Tom is like superman. For the quality he delivers (you'll see it in person soon enough) I would expect no less than a month delivery and about 20% more than he charges, but with Accurate Molds, you get reasonable price, superb quality and blazing fast shipping. I love it![/ QUOTE]
    Every word the truth! I ordered a mold for my .348--in my hands in 6 days--OVER THE WEEKEND!!! And what a beauty it is, almost too pretty to cast with.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I'm getting ready to order Tom's 35 XCB version. I'm confident it'll go moose hunting with me in September.

I did some experimenting with the Accurate XCB bullet today, to see if it would do as well in a 308 Winchester as it does in the somewhat less common 30 XCB

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle that Goodsteel re-barreled with an FN barrel in 1:12 twist. It's been a great shooter with jacketed, and I wanted to see if I could get it to shoot duplex loads with the Accurate bullet.

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	144569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	144570

It didn't do as well as I had hoped, but the velocity was getting close to the RPM threshold. The load was the "same" as with the 30 XCB, but since the case is smaller and I used the same charge of kicker (5 grs. IMR4227) I suspect the load was a little on the hot side. I'll back off on the kicker and try for better accuracy.

Name:	IMG_3939.jpg 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	144572

ES and SD continued to be surprisingly good.

Boolit Master
    I wonder how an XCB boolit will fly launched from a .30BR case?
    .308x1.5 XCB???

Boolit Master
    If "they" are smart "they" will try it over there at the CBA I think.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I wonder how an XCB boolit will fly launched from a .30BR case?
    .308x1.5 XCB???
    I believe member dtknowles (Tim Knowles) tried it with fairly good success. I sent him some bullets. Goodsteel will be building such a rifle for me, using a Krieger barrel (1:14 twist) and a Savage Target Action. Estimate early 2016. The guy is busy.

Boolit Master
    If "they" are smart "they" will try it over there at the CBA I think.
    You would think so, wouldn't you? Maybe the bullet wasn't designed by the "right" guy.

Boolit Master
    Got in about Noon today on Southwest. Glad to finally be home! Had a stack of mail to go through and then got to the box with the Ranch Dog XCB. It is beautiful and perfect!!! So I got some boolits cast and pictures made. Will have to see how it shoots later but here it is:

In the second pic, from left: Lyman 311672 (160 gr.), Accurate 310180Q (Ranch Dog XCB), NOE 30-188-FN (30 Hunter), NOE 30-195-FN, and Lyman 33889.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-25-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome home! Nice weather we're having this weekend, huh? Should see our first official triple digit heat but quite honestly we're overdue. Boolit & mould look good. Looking forward to hearing how it fits your chamber and of course, a range report.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast