Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranch Dog XCB

Boolit Master
    I had read that before and also all of the testing you did on the XCB. I have in mind to test IMR 4831, which I have on hand, and also 414/760, which is available but not yet purchased. Which of the two (H414 or W760) was your preference in your testing of the XCB?

Also, I briefly tested the IMR 4831 in .30-06 with the 30 Hunter with some success. Seems like the group was about 3".
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Here's the condensed version. 10 twist = 1944FPS with accuracy if everything is just right.
    This is of course linear (100-200-300 yards), consistent, repeatable, dependable, accuracy. Not just a lucky group.
    Here's the cheat sheet:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...velocity-chart

You're doing great! Keep on pushing!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I used 760 initially, then ran out and could only find 414. Called Hodgdon and the guy I spoke to confirmed that they are one and the same.

Boolit Master
    Yup! Read that one too. Actually ran out of stuff to read. Where is everybody? Too hot for y'all too?
    USMC 6638

For 1900 FPS, I'd load that back to 21-22gr SR4759.

For 2300FPS, about 36-38gr Varget, if that's what you have. The boolits will need some sort of heat treat/quench to reach that velocity with accuracy.

Are you running your loads over a chrony?

Boolit Master
    I don't have a chronograph, unfortunately. Since I am just guessing at the fps, going by the load data from Lyman #4, 23.5 gr of SR 4759 gave them 1827 fps with a 311332. It would be nice to see what I am really getting but that will have to wait for another day.

39.5 is probably about max for Varget. I intend to see if it is, but it may not allow the accuracy necessary for a hunting load.

The alloy is hardball mixed with 30-1 for about 95.6-2.4-2 and water dropped.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-14-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,762.0.html
    See the target notes in fourth post.
    USMC 6638

Have you seen Ranch Dog's info...

http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC3..._LoadNotes.pdf

Boolit Master
    I had not seen that data. However, it is similar to other data that is available. In the link above there is a target matched to actual load data.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I had not seen that data. However, it is similar to other data that is available. In the link above there is a target matched to actual load data.
    A 25 yard group means absolatootly nothing, unless sighting the scope to hit paper.

Boolit Master
    Made another range trip this afternoon. Temperature is/was 99F. Wind wasn't bad, light and variable. This group is 43 gr of IMR 4831 for about 2250 fps (est.) and comes right to the base of the neck without being compressed. I fired this fairly rapidly but it turned out to be pretty good anyway. The one flier could be from an imperfection in the boolit, the gas check coming off, or just my inattention behind the trigger. Without the flier it is 1.25". Same group two ways. I can't figure what is happening with attached images. Taken with an iPhone. They look weird on my iPad when I click on them to enlarge.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-15-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    A 25 yard group means absolatootly nothing, unless sighting the scope to hit paper.
    I can't agree that it means nothing but I also don't mean to imply that it says as much as a 100 yd group or a group with ten shots instead of five. If you know your rifle, you can read a group like that.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    I can't agree that it means nothing but I also don't mean to imply that it says as much as a 100 yd group or a group with ten shots instead of five. If you know your rifle, you can read a group like that.
    Yodogsandman is 100% correct. Every rifle that I post results with on this board will shoot ONE HOLE groups at 25 yards on demand, and most also at 50. Over and over again. I'll be happy to demonstrate with witnesses. At 100 yards the true quality of both load and rifle starts to show. I just posted about going out to 200 yards with some cast bullets for hunting in another thread, and how all of a sudden my 2 MOA 100 yard groups spread out to the point of being useless for their intended purpose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	146720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	146721
    Picture on left is 5 shots at 50 yards, shot in November last year with my 30XCB rifle. Picture on right is same load at 100 yards.

You're doing great, but please try to keep things comparable. 100 yards is the norm.

Looking at your notes on the target, your C.O.A.L seems very short. Is the base below the neck junction? How did you arrive at that length? I would have expected somewhere around 2.650"+.

Boolit Master
    That 25 yd group is not mine. It was shot by Ranch Dog and posted on the NOE forum. I was pointing to the powder choice which is documented in the notes with it. As a preliminary a 25 or 50 yd group can point the direction one needs to go. People don't always have the best access to longer ranges and need to make the most of when they do have access.

All of the groups with the Ranch Dog XCB that I have posted in this thread are at 100 yds.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Looking at your notes on the target, your C.O.A.L seems very short. Is the base below the neck junction? How did you arrive at that length? I would have expected somewhere around 2.650"+.
    The boolit is loaded to the base of the neck with all of the lube grooves just covered.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-15-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Took out the uncalled for smart assed remark.
    USMC 6638

The reason I ask is because that IMR4831 load doesn't look too bad. When I look at it, I see a barrel harmonics problem that can be greatly influenced by the cartridge overall length and distance of the jump of the boolit to the lands. I'd load up some dummy rounds out to engrave the lands lightly and check for any feed issues. Then try that same load again at that length. Try different lengths, backing off and away from the lands to tighten the groups up. Try increments of ten thousands of an inch, backing away from the lands. Find the "sweet spot" by tuning the boolit jump to where the boolit leaves the barrel the same, each shot.

Powder burn rates, amounts and pressures also effect barrel harmonics. You can then "super tune" those powders that seem to or should give good results by varying those amounts while watching for pressure signs. Start at starting loads, at first going up in increments of one grain at a time. When your groups tighten, try half grain charges on either side of the best load. I say to start at starting loads first, for your safety and second because a lot can be learned about your powder as your charges progress. You'll often times find "accuracy nodes" every few grains of powder difference. There's no cheating here because you might miss it. Many times I find my smallest extreme spreads and average velocities when the powder fills the case to the boolit base at the right pressures for the speed (or RPM). Sometimes that's not possible.

Old winchester range? Your load looks good, 99f is no fun to shoot. I tried the RD in my 30/30 with leverE, got good results, use H4895 in the 308 with good results. I didn't get good results with varget or other 'stick' type powders & cast, IMHO it peens the base too much. I get 2400 in a 16" and 2600 in 24" for 170 gr. boolit over ~40 gr of powder. Your fps guess seems about right.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I got good results with Varget and the 30 Hunter so it was one I wanted to try.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...get-in-308-Win
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-17-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    OBD I must have missed it. What alloy are you using?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast