RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Charts from Small Arms Design and Ballistics, vol 2 (Whelen)

Exclamation Charts from Small Arms Design and Ballistics, vol 2 (Whelen)

In '46, some charts for determining BC were included with this book..

Attachment 143404

More specifically, chart 1:
    Attachment 143405

Would this chart be useful for determining BC? I've seen it referenced a few times, and I believed even used in a recent magazine.

Talk to me...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Those are the Coxe and Bugless charts (and great fun schooldays must have been for him), compiled for Dupont in, I think, the 30s. They are drawn on by General Hatcher among others, and are fine as far as they go. I've got a set in my white elephant collection, but it only does what the basic ballistics programs were doing when they first reached the amateur market. They don't, for example, adapt to models of how different bullet types change their ballistic coefficient, and change it differently one from another, at different velocities. The version of Barnes Ballistics I bought somewhere around 1992 (5.25in. floppy discs!) would do that quite well.

They are, nonetheless, a fascinating piece of firearms history, and the results they generate, with a bit more trouble than software, will be valid at sporting ranges.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Interesting. They look almost identical to the charts in my Ackley books. Never could figure them out so when I got my Sierra 3 program on my old HP Pavillion I was in hog heaven.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!