Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Grab your hats! Some Notions About Rifle Bullets (American Rifleman, March 1906)

Post Grab your hats! Some Notions About Rifle Bullets (American Rifleman, March 1906)

So... whatcha doin? Ever have a hankerin for REAL adventure? I've seen boat tailed grease groove boolits, but NEVER paper patched.

Some Notions About Rifle Bullets

American Rifleman, vol 39, No. 23, Mar 15, 1906 - page 472

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z5...page&q&f=false

Some Notions About Rifle Bullets.

When a bullet leaves the muzzle of a high power rifle, at a velocity of about 2000 feet per second, it encounters two forces of nature which will bring it to the ground, unless stopped by striking some object other than the air. These forces are the attraction of gravity and the resistance of the air. The former acts the same at all velocities, but the resistance of the air is greatly increased at higher velocities.

The amount of resistance or friction of the air, at different velocities, is probably known by those who have given the subject of ballistics much study. Of that ratio I will not attempt to speak, but will assume that the resistance increases as the square of the velocity.

It seems reasonable to suppose that the shape or contour of the projectile has much to do with the amount of friction it meets. A very smooth and symmetrical bullet, having the least roughness of surface, will not only meet with less friction. but its flight will be more steady.

In the rifle bullet of the ordinary shape, there are several annular grooves encircling it, and its base is cut off square with the body. The grooves are intended to carry the lubricant and to take the imprint of the rifling in the barrel, whereby it is given a rotary motion on its own axis. The rotary motion is indispensable, for it serves to correct, in a large degree, any tendency to wobble or to drift to one side or the other.

Unfortunately the grooves in the bullet and the indentations made by the rifling in the barrel makes the surface of the bullet more or less rough, and the great velocity of its flight through the air must sensibly diminish, by increased friction, its striking force.

It is also probable that a roughness or inequality on one side, too slight to attract attention, may serve, by increased friction at that side, to deflect its flight out of a true line.

The rotation of the bullet on its own axis serves to correct such deflections, but is not always entirely effective. We find that bullets will some times tumble, or keyhole, and swerve in an unaccountable manner, possibly due to the causes mentioned. The contact of the naked lead and the steel barrel rubs off more or less of the Softer metal, fouling the rifling, and the hard jacketed bullets soon spoil the barrel for accurate work.

If we examine an instantaneous photograph of a rifle bullet, in its flight through the air, we see that it pushes a visible wave of air before it, and the wave streams along its sides and closes in behind it, to fill the vacuum created there. This motion of the air is precisely like the movement of water, when an object is drawn through it end Wise.

'The square base of the bullet, like the square stern of a scow, must serve to retard its speed in some degree, and for that reason all the fast yachts have a fine run in their afterbody, so that the water displaced may close in at the stern with the least friction

Attachment 147893

In consideration of these ideas the writer suggests a bullet which, he believes, will prove more accurate at long range and will do no harm to the barrel. In the sketch, A shows the bullet as a smooth, cylindrical body, with the ordinary point, but having a sort of tail at its rear. B shows the patch, which should be of some close, tough cotton fabric, saturated with a lubricant and cut to the proper size with a steel die. The tail of the bullet passes through the central hole in the patch and is forced home in the shell C, as shown. '

The four wings of the patch just close around the bullet, with none in excess. The diameter of the bullet, with the thickness of the patch, should be just such as to give the proper fit inside the bore, to take a good hold of the rifling, but not to mar the bullet. Either soft lead or lead hardened with antimony may be used. If desired a soft nose with a hard body can be made.

It seems to me that such ammunition would be an improvement, especially for long range, while the barrel would suffer no harm whatever. The patch, of course, will fall to the ground, a few feet from the muzzle, as with the old muzzleloader, while the bullet should move faster and strike harder, for the reasons stated.

Arranged as described the cartridge case covers all of the patch and would not look different from the ordinary ammunition. With a proper mold and die to cut the patching the rifleman could load his own shells.

THOMAS CLARKE HARRIS.
    Baltimore, Md.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

ohland

I walked down that path once. I cut some punches for the swage die and swaged some cup base rebated boat tail PP bullets thinking that it would be a plus for the long range shooting. For my purpose it was using Black Powder. The first problem I ran into was protecting the fragile bullet base keeping the black powder fast acceleration from damaging the soft lead base. A charge of smokeless will also damage the base with the unburned granules.
    When I got the base protection worked out I went to testing this bullet out to 805 yards to see if any benefits could be seen with elevation drops between the flat based and the rebated based bullets of the same weight and diameter. The results where not great enough to warrant the afford making these bullets and the hassle loading them.
    LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    ohland

I walked down that path once. LP.

Was that a walk on the wild side?

What was the velocity? IIRC, the big honkin cast boolit does best sub-sonic. If these were staying either supersonic all the way out, or subsonic, there would be less turbulence.

Something that has interested me is weakening the shock wave.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

About 1340 fps

If nothing else, that boolit design would eliminate trailing edge distortion. I wonder how well the split patch would transit into the throat. I have done something similar with jacketeds in my hornet. My objective was very different though. Mine was to hold the bullet in an unsized neck and it worked real well but then the bullet was already over groove diameter.

I would try normal patches on that boolit to see what happens. A patch of that design might work well in a muzzle loader.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I like these articles it's like Deja vu all over again .

Lead pot
    That looks a lot like the 301618 (bigger of course) with more body taper and a longer base than the check base . I really need to shoot some more of those soon......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .