RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight solar Kit

Moderator Emeritus

Actually mine are powering the freezer to fridge conversion, my ham gear, living room lighting 24/7. On the rare occasion I fall below 60% SOC the inverter shuts down for the fridge and drops it back on grid. They typically hit 80% SOC most days in summer and 65% winter. When I add more panels(sitting in my storage room, neck stuff put that on hold) and double my array to 2400 watts I will run even more via solar during daylight hours and use the voltage controlled relay Morningstar sells to shut things down as needed after the sun goes down. I run small 30 amp transfer switches at the output of each inverter so when they drop it goes back to grid or just off if grid is not available. I try to automate as much as possibe and have a low voltage alarm setup in case of failures so I can manually switch inverters off if needed.

Wish these inverters had a simple high/low on off terminal on the back for power control! I use this for the power control http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/relay-driver/ and each port can sink about 200ma if memory is right. Would work well that way as inverter on/off.

I might upgrade to L16's next time around when this set of bats fails. I will be adding more and more solar as I can afford it too. I use a smaller 140 watt 12 volt panel that is light enough for me to lift with my messed up back and shoulders and a pair can usually be had for around $300 +- when they are on sale. Little higher price per watt but shipping is fedex ground instead of freight so it balances out unless I would buy a pallet of panels at once. https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2668

Boolit Buddy
    I think it was around 2003 my son did a science fair project for school where he did research and built 2 spreadsheets on home solar power. From his research we found that if charges per KW/HR remained the same it would take about 12 years to break even on a whole house solar system. That didn't figure in raising power costs, or repair costs to the system.

It would be wise to pickup a normal 12v inverter either way. You could then use it to do your own testing, as well as have an option to use something like a car running to produce power as a last resort. I was amazed at how long a normal marine cell battery would run a room window A/C unit without any help from alternative power. At end of an 8 hour work day, I stopped testing, but battery still had plenty of juice.

During some tropical storm power outages that lasted a few days, the inverter and car system worked great. Run vehicle at idle for 20 minutes ever hour was enough to keep battery charged enough to power side by side fridge, cell phone chargers, laptop, small TV and room fan when vehicle was turned off. While running, also charged other batteries just in case.

I have been using the HF kit for a few years, and it works well for what it is. Mostly use it to power a 16" attic fan during daylight hours, plus a Foscam wireless IP camera 24/7, and battery never breaks a sweat. Combined with using something gas powered to charge batteries might stretch the gas motor off time a little longer (very little). It is nice to have quiet power time instead of cars and generators running. Goal is to have room a/c unit last most of the night on a just a battery, and looks like it could be possible. But not if only relying on HF panels.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 07-02-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I started out with a HF kit on my motorhome. It is expensive for the little power it produces. It is easy to setup in an emergency plus it comes with a couple 12v florescent lights that plug into the controller. Controller also has outlets for different voltages plus a USB port.

I bought additional panels and a charge controller off E-bay from Renogy Solar. Good prices and seems to be good stuff. My motorhome has LED lights that only draw .5 watts for 4 lights. Fridge is a 3 way, propane, 12v, and 110v. Can boondock now with no need to run the on-board generator indefinitely. I can even charge the boat trolling motor battery off the solar.
    To run a fridge and freezer during a power outage a small generator does work fine for a house. Use StaBil in the gas and run it couple of months and run the carb out of fuel and it stores fine.
    I have an inexpensive Champion 1200 watt that runs mine in a power outage. Only need to power one at a time since they stay cold for a long time normally. Easy on gas also. For long term outage we can move to the motorhome or if it is too hot.

Boolit Master

As an emergency bkup, by a generator. I am NOT anti solar, but truth is you can live a day or more before the freezer starts to turn. Same with fridge. Canned goods, dry goods, and propane stove (cast boolit rig) and a reserve of bottled water will get you through a couple days. Plan enough extra "B" grade water to flush toilet a couple times a day, and wash up. Also, store some water in frozen form, i.e keep freezer and fridge full up as much as practical. Use milk jugs full of water to help. Thermal mass helps a lot. Locate freezer (and fridge) in places where it is naturally cool anyway. That can buy you many hours. And you can throw a few blankets over it too. That will buy a few hours. Practice the drill sometime when you have power. full on off grid takes some planning and maybe a few lifestyle changes. I think the HF kit will leave you disappointed.
    good luck

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I run a fireworks stand for the fourth. We are using a 200 watt kit from Amazon. 2 panels, a Renology charge controller, cables, and connectors, with tax $400 delivered.(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00). We already had a deep cycle battery, and were given a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. Runs our LED lighting (both white light to see, and flashing strobes to attract attention) and fans, credit card reader, and a mobile wifi hotspot. Very happy, yes it's more than the HF Kit, but we are expandable, and have enough power to run all day, and into the night. This week we already saw 110 degrees, so the fans are a must!

Boolit Buddy

My wife and I have been considering taking out a home equity loan to put in a complete solar system so that we can live completely off the grid and as Grumpa said, it is a learning curve and we have been talking with a company who does these systems. We were actually surprised that the cost was far less than what we thought it would be, we are just mulling over the cost of the loan versus the savings on the electric.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Moderator Emeritus

First step in going off grid is deciding what you can change to save electricity. LED lights, motion sensing switches, clothes line instead of a dryer... sure you can power that stuff with solar, if you have deep pockets! Gas water heater instead of electric, go to LED TV instead of CFL backlit, low power computer and monitors...

In Remembrance
    Another thing to be aware of. Something they call Ghost Loads and Vampire drains. Most folks think that when they turn off the TV it doesn't use any power.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Regular Deep Cycle batteries like L-16s will last 6+ years if kept charged but won't last 2 discharged. If you don't permanently mount the panels to charge the batteries automatically every day you will need a maintenance charger. Charging Flooded Lead Acid batteries means water loss and distilled water needs to be added every month or so. Gel and AGM batteries are Not Good for solar despite what The Salesman says. I've taken $12,000 worth to recycling so far.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I'm a Solar "junkie"......My reloading trailer has solar ( www.rvbprecision.com)....My Pick-Up Truck camper has solar ( http://rvbprecision.com/palomino-bro...ck-camper.html ) , my motorcycle has Solar ( http://rvbprecision.com/motorcycles/...le-office.html ) and I have 10,500 Kwh on my house. My house has no storage (yet!), I just backfeed the meter and get credits from the utility and use the "grid" at night. Last year my total electric bill for the whole year was $390......I went with SolarCity with their zero money out of pocket and leased the system for 20 years. SolarCity is now offering the Tesla (same owners) battery back for house use. Mine is getting installed in the fall. This will let me get rid of the generator as the battery pack can easily get me through the night and back on the panels during the day. But this will be a huge battery pack fed from a 10K plus grid. In the RV world, folks don't realize how much solar and battery they need just to run their campers on a day by day basis. They think they can buy a 60 watt system and run everything like they do on a 6K generator.....NOPE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030888-vi.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	143813

Harbor Freight is where I wasted good money when I started to get involved with solar. Their systems are very expensive "Per Watt" and the charge controllers are extremely poor. I now buy all my solar equipment from AltE Store ( http://www.altestore.com/store/ )...Great folks and they are local to me so no shipping. But AMAZON has some of the best deals going on solar and if you are a PRIME member, no shipping charges.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Get a tri power fridge if your going to do this right. I bought a small fridge and on propane alone its less than 20gal/mth.

Change every light you have to led. Hot water tank on a timer etc. You just have to be mindful of what you are doing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

My current L16s are in great shape at 10 years, kept floated by the panels when I am away.

Can't imagine solar panels, batteries and inverter working out economically for anyone who
    can get mains power. If you do the same things to switch stuff from electricity to propane
    as you need to do for solar (refrigerator, freezer, hot water, NO AC, NO electric heaters,
    etc), yet stay on mains power your electric bill will be negligable, like $25 a month.

If you have high electric bills because of AC, baseboard heat, electric hot water, big refrig
    and freezer, or three and try to purchase a solar system large enough to carry these loads, you will be
    spending a huge amount of money, and in many parts of the country will never come anywhere near
    breaking even on your solar system.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 07-06-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

We have a couple of window AC units and 2 freezers. Even so our electric bill is about $60/mth avg. We put the hot water tank on a timer, outside lights on timer, changed all bulbs to led, pulled out the central furnace and put in room wall mount gas heaters, etc. It would take a long time to recoup a solar set up at that rate but cost is rarely the reason people go full solar.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Sure sounds like an awful expensive hobby/novelty. I guess you can't compete with coal or nuclear.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    HF solar is WAYYYYY over priced! But to run a fridge alone that will use 3kwh a day needs some serious battery! My fridge is a converted chest freezer that draws 400wh in a day! But it is a trade off with a lot less space. I have 1200 watts of panels installed, a 928AH battery bank(16 6 volt batteries)...

Good inverters approach 90++% efficiency so that is not a big issue anymore, charge controllers are in the same ballpark for quality MPPT. But you are talking a minimum of $3-4k to duplicate my system! I run the fridge 24/7 unless it is really cloudy for days on end. Runs living room lighting(soon to be all house lighting), and my ham radio gear 24/7. Also runs my computer until battery drops to 80% then the transfer switch drops me back on grid.

Battery box with lids removed and before I got venting and some of the wiring done. Had just built it...

Inverters, charge controllers(adding 1200 more watts of panels), comm controller junction box...

First set of 8 panels for 1200 watts, takes up a 10x10' square of space!

Then you need lightning protectors, wiring, junction boxes and disconnects outside... it is not cheap but I get frequent short power outages that meant starting a generator for 5-6 hours at least 4 times a month. Got tired of it so now I flip a switch!
    Question. Why are you using 6 volt battery's? Seems to me that 8 12 volt battery's would take a lot less space.

Ed

Banned

"Why are you using 6 volt battery's?"

They hold a lot of juice, aka amp hours.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup they are 232 amp hours and 4 in series gives me 24v for the inverters then 4 sets of 4 to give me 24 volts at 928 amp hours.

Banned

what type of fridge and freezer do you have that draws so little
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Take it from someone that lives on solar 24/7.....Your wasting your money and efforts on that project. Most domestic fridges use somewhere around 600wts, freezers even more. My freezer uses less power in a day than most use in an hour, almost the same for my fridge. I have a 1700 Watt hours worth of batteries (12-6v) for power after the sun goes down.

It's a very involved learning curve, I've been living off of solar now for 10yrs and I'm still learning details.

Click this link and look at the bottom of the first thread, there's a couple of pictures of my solar system..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hange)-6-19-14

Boolit Grand Master

Propane refrigerator. Zero electricity and near zero propane.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast