RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice: to sell or not to sell ?

Boolit Master
    I am a keep it simple type of guy. If you haven't used something in 2 years, that thing is not worth keeping around. The idea that the things you own wind up owning you is all to true.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

its paid for I assume, if you have the space to store it and don't need the money, leave it sit, its better than money in the bank and you can always sell it later when you need the money. if you owe on something or pay to store something then it would be better to sell and eliminate the expenses

Boolit Master
    If you admit that you are an addict (gun, Reloader, caster), then you may as well hang on to it. Because you will end up with it all again, maybe at higher prices and poor quality.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

In Remembrance

I have sold few guns/related items that I didn't later regret selling. If you aren't in need of money keep it and log the items with their approx. value and maybe where you think they can be sold for the most money so that your family can have good advice if they should choose to sell. If things go bad as some predict, you may be sitting on a gold mine.

Moderator Emeritus

I got down to 4 rifle calibers a while back and sold off the other molds and cases. [22. 7, 30 and 35] It lasted a couple of years and I got back into the 243 on a screaming deal. I have not shot cast in it but would if I had the stuff. That lets you know my opinion on selling off the accessories. 2nd point is you rarely get what you paid for in value.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom

Jon
    Jon I'm willing to store it for you. You can recall it at any time. Your welcome.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy

While its fine to seek advice on this, in the end, you are the one who will have to live with the decision. Those of us giving advice, do not.

All I can really tell you is that a few years ago, I was forced to sell everything just to survive after being injured. At the time, there were some of the guns, reloading equipment, etc., that I thought I would never miss all that much and others that really HURT to let go of.

Now...........I REALLY miss some of those things that I didn't think would really matter to me. I"ve been fortunate in that I have been able to buy/trade back for a small part of it.

If you change your mind later, how much will it bother you that it is gone?????????

Rick

Boolit Buddy

Well, it seems you have been given plenty advice so I won't offer anymore.
    I will tell you of my experience.
    Many years ago I had accumulated all the reloading and casting equipment I needed.
    About twenty five years ago I moved to a different state and took it all with me.
    My new location and job didn't leave me with much time for shooting much less for reloading. When I moved four years later, I decided to sell the majority of the stuff. I didn't think I'd really have the time to use it.
    BIG MISTAKE!
    Jump forward 10 years and I found I had the time and yearning to starting shooting again.
    Talk about sticker shock when I started to replace all the equipment I sold!

I for one will keep all of it and let my heirs deal with it when I leave!
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Jon I'm willing to store it for you. You can recall it at any time. Your welcome.
    Nice Offer, And in Arizona it would have a nice Dry storeage location - So I'll extend the same offer
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Keep it all. I got molds, dies and brass for calibers I've never owned, and some I really am not even pursuing owning. It only gets more valuable! Oil it up and store it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I think it would depend on how old you are, if relatively young I would keep it. I'm 64 and I decided to reduce calibers and unload the stuff no longer needed.

Boolit Master

unless you have kids or others important to you that share your interest, sell it. It will save you from rolling over in your grave when it's sold on ebay or yard sale after you're gone. Don' me to sound trite but you 've prolly bought enough "estate sale" stuff to know it's true. "Item #38: a box of lead bullet molds. $30"

Boolit Buddy

keep it

Moderator Emeritus

Sell molds for 2/3 what you paid only to replace them at 5/4 the price down the road when you change your mind... keep them!

Moderator Emeritus

thanks for all the advice so far...it's helping.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Jon,

If you have to ask that question of your self, let alone us, the answer is NO!

that is an irreversable decision. It reduces your future options. You should never do that unless you are sure.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly! You're not ready to get rid of it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Mold
    I thought we both agreed the other day, you were to get all this stuff together and I'd come down and pay you one third of what it's worth, that way we both would be HAPPY. KUDOO

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kudoo View Post
    I thought we both agreed the other day, you were to get all this stuff together and I'd come down and pay you one third of what it's worth, that way we both would be HAPPY. KUDOO
    Attachment 143333
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I would sell what you don't want and use the money to buy what you want. the price of both goes up about the same rate.

Well you did ask for input and experiences, so here you are....

You are way overthinking life in general and gun ownership in particular. Buy, own and posses guns you want and don't buy, own or posses guns you don't want. The only limit to owning the guns you want is your ability to purchase them. Guns are a decent investment and will increase in value as well as most stock portfolios. When you get old sell some to pay for your funeral and leave the rest to your heirs to deal with except a few you give to certain kids, grandkids and friends.

There are some very serious decisions to make in this life, but yours isn't one of them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast