MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice: to sell or not to sell ?

Moderator Emeritus

Seeking advice: to sell or not to sell ?

Disclaimer: I am not seeking buyers, do not respond here or PM me, about WHAT or HOW MUCH $$$. I am just looking for opinions, as I am struggling to come to a decision.

=======================

OK, back in early April I had an auction and sold a major portion of my gun collection with the plan of reducing the number of calibers I cast and load for. Obviously, I also planned on selling all the molds/brass/dies/tooling for each of those (nine) calibers. The Plan was to raise funds for buying a different house, I have since changed my mind on a real estate change.

I am fine with the selling of the Guns. But, as to all the accessories, many items are custom to cast boolit loading, they took a long time to search out and/or have custom made. The money generated isn't really needed now, it'd just go into a investment fund.

ALSO, I don't plan on buying any guns in those calibers, but I tend to change my mind...stumble onto a "too good to be true" deal and such. Maybe I could keep some ? but which calibers? How much of this "Material" do I keep ? Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom, and just plan on re-buying it at higher prices, if/when I stumble onto the gun I hadn't planned on buying ?

Thanks for any input or personal experiences you can share.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Well you don't have to feed it and it's all paid for I would keep it myself. Only going to get more valuable in the future.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

In Remembrance
    Seeing as I have severalsets of dies, brass and components for calibers I have never owned, I'm probably the wrong one to give advice on this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not seeking buyers, do not respond here or PM me, about WHAT or HOW MUCH $$$. I am just looking for opinions, as I am struggling to come to a decision.

=======================

OK, back in early April I had an auction and sold a major portion of my gun collection with the plan of reducing the number of calibers I cast and load for. Obviously, I also planned on selling all the molds/brass/dies/tooling for each of those (nine) calibers. The Plan was to raise funds for buying a different house, I have since changed my mind on a real estate change.

I am fine with the selling of the Guns. But, as to all the accessories, many items are custom to cast boolit loading, they took a long time to search out and/or have custom made. The money generated isn't really needed now, it'd just go into a investment fund.

ALSO, I don't plan on buying any guns in those calibers, but I tend to change my mind...stumble onto a "too good to be true" deal and such. Maybe I could keep some ? but which calibers? How much of this "Material" do I keep ? Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom, and just plan on re-buying it at higher prices, if/when I stumble onto the gun I hadn't planned on buying ?

Thanks for any input or personal experiences you can share.
    Jon
    If that investment fund, as cited above, involves stuffing the money into your Mattress, I would say yes. If it's "invested" with the Money Changers on Wall Street, I'd say keep the supplies.
    S45

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Well you don't have to feed it and it's all paid for I would keep it myself. Only going to get more valuable in the future.
    Ditto for me.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Jon,

If you have to ask that question of your self, let alone us, the answer is NO!

that is an irreversable decision. It reduces your future options. You should never do that unless you are sure.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Depends on a lot of things. If you just hang onto it until you die, then your wife or other heir has to figure out how to sell equipment she doesn't know, care about or understand. You might be better off selling it now in that way. You could always just buy silver with the money and then it will increase in value probably more than the reloading stuff, be easier to store, easier to inherit, and not have hardly any risk.

Make a decision and develop your strength of *sticktoitofness* as Grandpa used to say...haha.

I'm a *keep it simple and streamlined* kind of guy, but I'm not like everybody else -{----< Grandpa used to say that too!
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Like said right off is you don't have to feed them and they are paid for. I personally would hold on to them but then again would have done the same with the firearms. I buy things because I want them and for their value if it becomes a have too or a need in the future. I am sure it will all go up in value as well if you truely decide they are not needed or wanted.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Another vote to keep the items.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Grand Master

I have only sold a few guns and equipment over all the years Ive been shooting. Almost all Ive regreated at some point. The gifts to friends and others no. but the ones Ive sold just to raise funds I have regreated. Be very sure of what YOU want and want to accomplish before proceeding on. Even though you no longer have firearms in these calibers the equipment dosnt require alot of up keep. Alot as you stated is custommade or special use so selling it may behard and require some time to do. ( Just finding a buyer for a custom built rifle can be hard let alone the specialty equipment for one with out the rifle.) Another issue what you want to accomplish with this and How you want to do this.

Boolit Master

my $0.02 reloading equipment does not increase in value over time. Then exception is old stuff that was maybe collectable years ago. I would turn it in to cash to support current addiction needs.

Boolit Buddy
    If you'll never use it again and there's people out there who need it, it's time to let it go. Use the money to buy a surprise for your wife or grandchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    my $0.02 reloading equipment does not increase in value over time. Then exception is old stuff that was maybe collectable years ago. I would turn it in to cash to support current addiction needs.
    But replacement cost does go up. And who knows what the future holds.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A recent meeting of financial experts last week issued a statement about the US$ and our stability.

The conclusions were:
    1) We could easily follow in the path of Greece.
    2) All investments (stocks, bonds, IRA's) could be potentially worthless or near it
    3) Nobody will want gold, so sell it now
    4) The new "gold standard" will be................wait for it...............AMMO & GUNS!

I would NOT sell anything right now.

banger

I can't imagine selling something if I didn't need the money for something else (even then I am known to work more instead of selling). Wait till something comes up that you want more than what you have. Should that not happen let your kids/grandkids worry about it. You never know, you or they could develop a need for them. As stated a few times already, they don't eat anything. My vote: keep em.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Plug this search string into your favorite search engine:
    Opportunity Cost
    And do some reading.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    Hold on to everything for at least 5 years if not 10. If you haven't got guns to use them by that time you may want to sell some of your stuff. You sold guns to raise fund and the reason changed. I would guess that you will purchase some of those calibers back in the next 5-10 years and need these tools.

Moderator Emeritus

Your whole idea was to reduce the number of calibers you were loading for....If you are serious about that approach then I would take my time and sell those items that do not lend themselves to keeping you loading only for those few calibers you decided you wanted.....I know you said you tend to walk into great deals but when you no longer have the other part of the equasion then you will be less tempted plus the $'s you realize from the sale will allow you to do more reloading and casting in those calibers you chose....that is my 2 cents worth.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have often gotten rid of something I did not expect to need and shortly wish I still had it. The quality of molds and dies that you have may never again be available. As others have said wait a bit you can always sell later.
    jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast