RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: wads and BH 209

wads and BH 209

Anyone use a wad stack to fill up space on BH 209? Ive used pufflon but only a thin wad before. just wondering about a couple thick wads from a safety standpoint.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about hard wads with BH 209. Several on the local shillouette leagues here use a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper in 45-70 and 40-65 with it. If using a solid card wad I would do several things first and during loading. 1) contact powder manufacturer for thier recomendation and check their web site for information, 2) start low and rework the load up as adding wads fillers or other materials increase protectile wieght and reduuse air space possibly increasing pressures. 3) Make very sure there is no airspace in the load to allow wads to seperate from bullet as this effect has been known to ring chambers under certain conditions. Be very carefull and find out all you can before going foreward.

Got the word back that the wad stack was fine. 5 shot group looked fine too.

In the data sheet at the Blackhorn site they recommend an over powder wad in both the 40-65 and the 45-70. I've tried the powder in both cartridges with some success. In the 40-65 I used a single wad punched from a margarine tub lid with the RCBS 40-400 cast 20-1 and SPG. These shot okay and I plan to play around with charge weight some more. In the 45-70 I used a 2mm thick ABS wad that I printed on a 3D printer. These shot fine in my Rossi Wizard SS. I currently have another series loaded using a 4mm thick wad tat I need to get out to the range and run over the chronograph. The 45-70 was loaded using a local commercial caster's 405 gr bullet. I'd like to know more about the reason for the wad recommendation. I wonder if it more to keep the charge in contact with the flash hole to make sure you get uniform ignition. By the way they use Federal 215's in their data, don't have and can't find any so I'm using Winchester LRP and am getting good ignition and pretty complete burn in both guns.

Curt

I use 215's with good results. I accidently used a box of GM155M pistol primers in my last batch. Won't make that mistake again !

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Federal magnum rifle match primers, with a .060 fiber wad, powder and wad in firm contact with the bullet base works very well in the one 45-70 we use it in around here.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

thats the same load I use in my 45-70 except a .030 wad. 37 gr brings it to that point in the WW brass.
    I'm using the same in my 42 Wesson but it takes two thick 1/8 wads to fill the gap. gonna use that a while til I get time to develop a good BP load for it.