Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Nitro card size for Lee slug?

Boolit Bub

Nitro card size for Lee slug?

Hey guys. Making my shopping list. What size nitro card would I get to put in the wad under my Lee 7/8oz slug? 16 gauge or 20 gauge?

Boolit Bub
    I have tried both but prefer the 16 Ga as it is a bit wider to give a better base for the slug to sit on.
    However, I find the 16 Ga causes some wads to bulge slightly resulting in the wad/slug combo to seat tight in the hull. More so for tapered hulls as compared to straight walled.

Boolit Man
    As CANUCK has stated the 16ga will bulge some, I use a 20ga wad in all my lee slug loads no matter which shotcup I use.

Boolit Buddy
    Since BPI sells them in virtually every gauge size, I got 18 gauge cards, which are almost exactly the same size as the slug base. They work very well and fit in nearly all shot cups. 20 gauge will always fit, but it's a little smaller than the slug base, so might not support it evenly in some cases.

Boolit Bub
    Thanx guys. I could not find any 18 gauge ones. So I'll just order a bag of each : 20 gauge and 16 gauge.
    It's for straight walled Fiocchi hulls, Lee 7/8oz, and wad is unknown right now. But I will likely use the Federal 12S0 wads. I need to read up when my reloading books get here before I decide on the wad.

Boolit Bub
    2nd the BPI company for stuff you need or will want for shot shell reloading, LEE 12ga Drive-Key Slug loads 1oz. & 7/8 oz. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm here is the load of the week for the Lee key drives.

Boolit Bub
    glenr1, have you miked the diameter of the Lee Drive Key molds yet?

I'm curious how they compare to my Lyman Foster slug/

Boolit Bub
    No I Haven't been able to do much of anything other than the moving and probate court papers and will be moving Mom from rehab to the memory care place tomorrow hopefully this week I will get a chance to look at all the new toys I have collected over the last couple of weeks. will see if I can do both the 7/8 and 1 oz ones.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus62 View Post
    glenr1, have you miked the diameter of the Lee Drive Key molds yet?

I'm curious how they compare to my Lyman Foster slug/
    Well factory specs list the dia as 7/8 OZ diameter = .681 inches length= .545 inches, 1 oz diameter .681 inches length= .640 inches
    Both of mine appear to have a wire edge on the mold half edges and have to find the smaller calipers as the only ones handy this morning were the 8" pair which the fingers are an awkward shape to get by the drive part of the mold. But one was .662 and the other was .659

Boolit Master

I have used the Red AA wad with the petals cut off for 12 gauge wad
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by glenr1 View Post
    No I Haven't been able to do much of anything other than the moving and probate court papers and will be moving Mom from rehab to the memory care place tomorrow hopefully this week I will get a chance to look at all the new toys I have collected over the last couple of weeks. will see if I can do both the 7/8 and 1 oz ones.
    Make sure you Lee-mend your molds. Open them up, make sure all the burrs are removed. And use 2-cycle synthetic oil to lube the sprue plate and the grooves. I have only the 7/8oz mold as I read it is more accurate than tje 1oz ones. Good luck.