RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: CMP Loads

CMP Loads

I have just started shooting CMP 200 yard matches. and I am looking for a good load with a 155 grain Lee bullet. This is in 30/06. This is going to shot out of a 03. I am PC the bullets the load that I am going to try is 38grs of H4895. I also have a 180gr mold. Thanks

Boolit Master

I would recommend developing a load for your 180 grain boolit as it should have less drop and wind deflection for any given velocity compared to your 150 grain boolit.

I use Lyman moulds with boolits from 193 to 208 grains (with lube and GC) for my 200 yard shooting with the 1903. My most accurate loads always seem to be in the neighborhood of 1850 fps. While I prefer SR 4759, your H4895 should work a treat also at that velocity level. I often use 33 grains of 4895 under a 208 grain 311299 boolit out of my M1 Garand for accuracy and reliable function.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    For my M1903A3 I use the TL (Tumble lube) version cast of WW+Tin. They are tumbled in 45:45:10 Alox/JPW/MS. I add the Gator gas check and size in a Lee 0.314 Push thru die. They get a second coat of lube. I use either F/L or N/S cases, whichever is available. I use a Lyman M die with a custom 0.314 expander button. The primers are WLR and I use 1.3 cc of Alliant 2400 (about 17.5 grains) with a home made dipper. I seat to the last grove and do not crimp. With the sight on 650 and a sliver of white over a standard skinny front post, I can usually stay in the high 90's prone and prone rapid at 100 yards. Offhand is my nemesis. Every once in a while, I brain cramp and forget a good sight picture or don't move the bolt the same way in rapid and end up with an 8. Once my sleeve caught the rear sight in the rapid reload and I had a 50-2X and five in 1.5" on the bottom of the target backer at 6:00. This load is very mild but it makes quite a thwap when the bullet hits the berm. I tried heavier bullets and slower powders and at 100 I did not think the added recoil was justified as my scores were the same. At 200 it would probably be worth it. I don't think I have enough rear sight left for my load at 200, I need a shorter front post. Need to lower it 0.16" and get the slider back to the smaller numbers.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Wineman, one other benifit of lowering the front sight will result in a better cheek weld on the stock when in position. Lowering the sights lowers the head position which is a plus when shooting from postions. One of the reasons the adjustable sheek piece is so popular.

Boolit Master
    tbierley,

My favorite Garand load is the Lee 185 .312 RN gas checked boolit sized 309" ahead of 36 grains of IMR4895. The load cycles all my Garands 100% and hits to the same point of aim at 100 yards as the 150 grain spitzer jacketed bullet and 49 grains of IMR4895.

Adam