Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Store Front Gun Stores are ripping off the shooting public!!

Boolit Master
    I think oldred has it right! Personally, I would rather pay the high price to my LGS than to see some slimy opportunist buy cheap and then x-10 the price. If there is profit to be made, let the LGS get it! I do not consider a legitimate business (LGS) as a "gouger" at all. That said, several years ago when the idiot Liberals were making noises about legislation to make me sign for every box of ammo I bought, I stocked up, so I do not have to decide if I want to pay inflated prices.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess it's a shame, that experience is the privilege, of only us older guys.
    I still have primers in wooden trays with paper board sieves.
    I have powder in metal cans that are square with pop top lids.
    There are ammo cans of loaded rounds from the "80s.
    When things get tight, you learn to conserve and replenish.
    When things are normal you put aside for short times.
    I really feel sorry for those starting out now, without the experience that we use to weather hard times.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

It's easy for you guys that live in towns big enough to have 2 or 3 decent size sporting goods stores to say supplies are decent but I live 45 miles from a town big enough to be getting any .22 cartridges at all. Every small town in my area had at least a gas station that carried ammo. None, including my own have seen a box of .22 in at least 5 years. If I went to the larger community every day I could probably get a box here and there but on the few occasions I do go I have usually missed it by a day or 2 and my fuel cost can be added to the scalper price asked by the store.

Boolit Master
    That's why mail ordering ammo is so convenient. Just buy a couple of bricks (or cases) and be done with it. Even though I live in a fair sized city all my rimfire ammo was ordered. I find this to be less stressful and more time productive than to visit all the stores.
    I do believe the last time I ordered 2 bricks of CCI SV from PSA the shipping charge was only about $11, plus no sales tax.
    East Tennessee

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    DAKOTA
    you got it easy . I have a local guy he has some of this and that but there are a lot of folks that are scared to leave town . I get out twice a month whether I need to or not . It's 75 miles 1 way to Walmart 80 to a real Sporting goods store that may or may not have anything I need. If I go on another 60 miles (about every 6 weeks) in 3 stops I've found what I needed or its not available. Like that 2 yr w/o a small pistol primer on the shelf seems like it's large pistol now but they aren't impossible to get just inconvenient.

If the 22 RF bothers you that much go into business converting RF to a 22x25 auto and drilling RF bolts for CF then you and all your buddies have no need for RF ammo and at $89per 500 or 1000 (I don't know what a brick is anymore ) the $150 reamer and HF lathe to make dies pays of pretty fast .

Don't whine fix it .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    So if you were running the store you would just keep prices where they were, plus any increase in wholesale costs, and let the 22 go out the door only to be sold down the street at ten times what you just sold it for? Don't blame the retailer! They would be just plain stupid to sell for ten times less than the going rate, that rate is determined by the buyer NOT the seller. Honestly if it were you would you just say "well I'm going to be a good guy and help everyone out until my inventory is gone"? It's simple supply and demand and the prices are high because people are willing to pay that for it, THAT'S why the prices are where they are. There are hundreds of thousands (and that's being conservative, it's probably more like a few million) shooters that would grab up a brick or two at bargain prices even with thousands of rounds stashed away, "better git-it-while-can", and until that attitude subsides nothing is going to change. No retailer can get more than a small supply and if they sell cheap they make nothing since they don't have the volume they did before, selling at the market price is just business whether we like it or not and those high prices is what will eventually bring this nonsense to an end.
    That's exactly my stance . And I have done it...... And If all businesses would conduct business exactly like you are describing , then the manufacturer is a fool to let that product go down the line and let the retailer make 10 x the money on the product , than the manufacturer is making by selling to the distributor.. All the manufacturer needs to do is take on line orders and ship from the factory warehouse and voila, 10 fold profit and no middlemen to deal with. You said it's plain stupid to sell for 10 x less than the going rate , so why are the manufacturers doing it ? And 1 more question for you, How many of these dealers are wanting to make money so bad, that they have 100 bricks setting in the back room on a pallet , and throw a couple boxes out on the shelf every 3- 4 weeks , and say yea buddy we just got a few boxes in , that's all they sent us, but hey, it's still 69.99 a brick , if ya want it. And do a repeat in a couple weeks to keep the prices sky high??
    Last edited by butch2570; 06-30-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Master

I think a pretty good example of the situation is the local WalMart and a small (and I mean small, about a 10x12 room) gun shop. The WalMart holds prices to pretty much what they were plus their wholesale increase, inflation, etc but the catch is you will rarely find any because what they do get sells out as soon as it arrives. The small gunshop gets over $8 for a box of 50 but he has them! He told me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that his cost from his supplier is way higher than WalMart's retail price so he really isn't making a lot on them.

The bottom line is that the value of ANYTHING is only what folks are willing to pay for it and how well it will sell. Anytime there are more people waiting to buy than there is a supply of any kind of goods then the price will go up just as it does at an auction, in fact the supply and demand price setting at the retail level is little different than an auction and if anything is in short supply the price will keep going up until sales level off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch2570 View Post
    That's exactly my stance . And I have done it...... And If all businesses would conduct business exactly like you are describing , then the manufacturer is a fool to let that product go down the line and let the retailer make 10 x the money on the product , than the manufacturer is making by selling to the distributor.. All the manufacturer needs to do is take on line orders and ship from the factory warehouse and voila, 10 fold profit and no middlemen to deal with. You said it's plain stupid to sell for 10 x less than the going rate , so why are the manufacturers doing it ? And 1 more question for you, How many of these dealers are wanting to make money so bad, that they have 100 bricks setting in the back room on a pallet , and throw a couple boxes out on the shelf every 3- 4 weeks , and say yea buddy we just got a few boxes in , that's all they sent us, but hey, it's still 69.99 a brick , if ya want it. And do a repeat in a couple weeks to keep the prices sky high??

The manufacturers are looking at the long term, and in that respect I think they may indeed have done things differently had they known this was going to last so long, but the retailer is looking at making a profit. And yes indeed it is kind of stupid to sell anything at the retail level at a low price when people are waiting in line to pay far more for it! What you are saying just makes no sense, if you have something, anything, and know what the price was two years ago and you have customers wanting to still buy it for that but other customers are now lining up to pay 4 or 5 times that who do you sell to? Especially when you know that most of what you do sell is going to go to people who will use your good gesture to profit for themselves! You can say what you like and point fingers at the merchants all you want but the problem is still the customer! What's so hard to understand? When something, anything, is in short supply it will go to those willling to pay the most it's always been that way and it always will.

A store knows what something will sell for, THAT'S what it's worth and it's just plain ridiculous to expect a store manager to say we need to be nice to people and suppress prices so that more people can afford these 22 rounds, never mind we lose our profit and our stock will get depleted in minutes then we won't have any to sell! Then when you consider that they know just as well as we do that most of what they sell at that price is going to end up at a gunshow or somewhere else at many times the price! If someone has something to sell and one customer is willing to pay far more than another one who do you sell to? It's as simple as that! Put the blame where it belongs and be realistic don't expect store management to try and suppress prices, that's just plain nonsense.

I think a pretty good example of the situation is the local WalMart and a small (and I mean small, about a 10x12 room) gun shop. The WalMart holds prices to pretty much what they were plus their wholesale increase, inflation, etc but the catch is you will rarely find any because what they do get sells out as soon as it arrives. The small gunshop gets over $8 for a box of 50 but he has them! He told me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that his cost from his supplier is way higher than WalMart's retail price so he really isn't making a lot on them.

The bottom line is that the value of ANYTHING is only what folks are willing to pay for it and how well it will sell. Anytime there are more people waiting to buy than there is a supply of any kind of goods then the price will go up just as it does at an auction, in fact the supply and demand price setting at the retail level is little different than an auction and if anything is in short supply the price will keep going up until sales level off.
    Why would Wal Marts prices be cheaper in your opinion? Because they are buying manufacturer direct and you actually have 2 companies involved that are not concerned about raping their customers . Or is there another reason. And do you think your gunshops' supplier is smiling.
    Last edited by butch2570; 06-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

You have a choice be whiny or do something about the cause.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Sure is nice to have a supply of .22 rimfire, small pistol primers, lg pistol primers, small rifle primers, large rifle primers, and powders for every need. All purchased long before zero was even a Senator.

More than I'll ever use up I suppose.

Problem being is it hurts the sport for the youngsters coming on. Sure is nice for them to get a .22 for Christmas and never have any ammo to shoot. Oh Ya, I forgot, a 14 year old kid can easily afford a brick of ammo at $100 no matter where it comes from.

Yup this shortage is sure helping our sport in the long run. Great days are here again!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

The manufacturers are looking at the long term, and in that respect I think they may indeed have done things differently had they known this was going to last so long, but the retailer is looking at making a profit. And yes indeed it is kind of stupid to sell anything at the retail level at a low price when people are waiting in line to pay far more for it! What you are saying just makes no sense, if you have something, anything, and know what the price was two years ago and you have customers wanting to still buy it for that but other customers are now lining up to pay 4 or 5 times that who do you sell to? Especially when you know that most of what you do sell is going to go to people who will use your good gesture to profit for themselves! You can say what you like and point fingers at the merchants all you want but the problem is still the customer! What's so hard to understand? When something, anything, is in short supply it will go to those willling to pay the most it's always been that way and it always will.

A store knows what something will sell for, THAT'S what it's worth and it's just plain ridiculous to expect a store manager to say we need to be nice to people and suppress prices so that more people can afford these 22 rounds, never mind we lose our profit and our stock will get depleted in minutes then we won't have any to sell! Then when you consider that they know just as well as we do that most of what they sell at that price is going to end up at a gunshow or somewhere else at many times the price! If someone has something to sell and one customer is willing to pay far more than another one who do you sell to? It's as simple as that! Put the blame where it belongs and be realistic don't expect store management to try and suppress prices, that's just plain nonsense.
    You are correct in regards to , ( That's how it works in the real world , when businesses don't mind taking advantage of their customers). But I'm saying not every business is concerned with taking every last dollar from their customers.... And Wal Mart is a prime example , albeit they may not have it on a regular basis , it still is at respectable pricing when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    You have a choice be whiny or do something about the cause.
    Your're right and I have, I don't buy at those prices. You can call it whiny or whatever. I have a PLENTY of rimfire bought before any of this ever happened . I've only bought 2 bricks since the shortage began ,both for 24.99 a brick. I just plain don't care for greedy business.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoplan View Post
    mabe you should distribute your own stock you paid for in good times to covder folly of others with short sight?
    Likely have and likely a lot more than you have!

mabe you should distribute your own stock you paid for in good times to covder folly of others with short sight?
    Teach me how it is "folly" when a youngster gets his/her first firearm for Christmas and he/she can't get ammo. Please explain in full. Just where does their "short sight" come in?

I absolutely have given some away to people that were not as fortunate... I personally don't mind to help people ,as long as I see it's legit.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been observing the 22 shortage as a spectator and my detached viewpoint has led to a bit of enlightenment. Personally, I shoot very little 22 so the bricks I have put away accidentally will last me quite some time. I love the premise of this thread. If you think about it some retailers have been hurt more by this "shortage" than most people realize. We have all seen empty shelves for long periods of time in retail stores, quite frankly that is a very bad thing for retailers. Retail shelf space is very expensive real estate, an empty shelf generates no revenue but plenty of ill-will from customers. I spoke to a LGS proprietor this past week and he said he spends at least a few hours a day trying to locate powder, primers and ammo. That's not the first time I heard that, been hearing it since Sandy Hook. I don't begrudge the retailers a bit higher markup these days, I'd rather support a retailer that pays taxes and employs people than an opportunist that works out of his garage and may or may not pay taxes on his profits. I even saw a "reseller" working the rimfire ammo area at Cabelas last weekend. He told another customer that he had plenty of 22LR ammo out in his car for sale. He didn't make a sale, but he picked up a few boxes to add to his inventory.
    Personally I'm seeing plenty of 22LR on the shelves, just not anything I need. I'll leave it for the next guy and hope he and his kids (or grandkids) have a ball with it. I would like to see some 22WMR ammo on the shelf, my 597 will be back from Remington in a few months and I'd like to be able to feed it.
    BTW I was looking at my 17HMR ammo dump the other day. May have to buy a rifle that shoots this wonderful little round. Plenty of it on the retail shelf, otherwise I might be an opportunist as well, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

www.gunbot.net leave it running in a browser tab and set your price points. It will alert you to in stock and you can jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    It's easy for you guys that live in towns big enough to have 2 or 3 decent size sporting goods stores to say supplies are decent but I live 45 miles from a town big enough to be getting any .22 cartridges at all. Every small town in my area had at least a gas station that carried ammo. None, including my own have seen a box of .22 in at least 5 years. If I went to the larger community every day I could probably get a box here and there but on the few occasions I do go I have usually missed it by a day or 2 and my fuel cost can be added to the scalper price asked by the store.

Moderator Emeritus

I have sold(at what I paid) 22lr to a friend who was out, I have taken a gift of 500 rounds in a drawing and given it to a kid(with parents permission of course)... I have enough to last into fall then I will search for more target ammo. I do not need thousands of rounds of 22lr sitting around in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I do not need thousands of rounds of 22lr sitting around in the way.
    Nor do I, but it beats being out, or paying outlandish prices. My plinking ammo was purchased at, $8 to $12 bucks a brick, match ammo at $80 to $160 bucks a brick and is selling today at those same price points, and readily available I might add.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast