Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allstate patents spying on driver's physio data

Post Allstate patents spying on driver's physio data

Ah, the joys of an omnipresent monitor, in your car, on your wrist, NSA....

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/28.73.html#subj8.1

Henry Baker <hbaker1@pipeline.com> Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:20:09 -0700FYI—"George Orwell wrote this, right?", says Bob Hunter, insurance
    director for Consumer Federation of America.

"The invention also teaches the monitoring and recording of data from
    onboard cameras and proximity sensors, as well as driver physiological
    monitoring systems. Also included within the invention is predictive
    modeling of future behavior as a function of recorded data an individual
    driver compared with other drivers within a database."
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Banned

modeling of future behavior,,,,,,, great.[the thought police are on duty]
    glad I only got about 20 more years in me.

Boolit Grand Master

Future thoughts are tempered by past memories. My memories are finding hiding places, does that mean my thoughts are loosing their temper?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    As it is difficult or next to impossible to disable the electronics in the newer cars that enable OnStar type agencies and therefore government alphabet agencies to spy on you. The Mrs. and I will keep our older vehicles as long as possible or attempt to replace with used from pre-digital OnStar/GPS and the like technology.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

Not a problem around my house. All I can afford is old "junkers" anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been looking at a mid 90's jeep CJ. I would rip out the computer controlled motor and drop in a 350 with a carb. Keep it simple, not need much for spare parts...

Boolit Master

I quit Allstate in the early sixties,I had insurance with them for years,never a claim,and was about 3 months from being discharged from the Army,I sent a payment and put my Army return adress on the envolope and they canceled me becase I was in the Army.They said they would reconsider me after I was discharged.My parents usually paid the premium from our home adress,no problem.That was when you paid for insurance by the year and not the month.I stayed with the next insurance agent for the next forty years and then went to another agent after the first one died because he was a personal friend of the daughters and have been with him for about 25 years,
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Perma-Banned
    tied in with that, the auto industry is workin' feverishly to get laws passed to prevent you from workin' on yer own car so that you can't disable "big brother".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    tied in with that, the auto industry is workin' feverishly to get laws passed to prevent you from workin' on yer own car so that you can't disable "big brother".
    Got any links to articles about this?

Perma-Banned
    no I don't & wouldn't know how to post them if I did. just type in "auto industry laws to prevent owners from working on their own cars" or anything similar & you'll get pages of links.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Perhaps I should reconsider keeping BOTH of the 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel 5 speed pickups with camper caps.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I quit Allstate in the early sixties,I had insurance with them for years,never a claim,and was about 3 months from being discharged from the Army,I sent a payment and put my Army return adress on the envolope and they canceled me becase I was in the Army.They said they would reconsider me after I was discharged.My parents usually paid the premium from our home adress,no problem.That was when you paid for insurance by the year and not the month.I stayed with the next insurance agent for the next forty years and then went to another agent after the first one died because he was a personal friend of the daughters and have been with him for about 25 years,
    This also happened to me. I got drafted in 1969 and when I got out and tried to get insurance again they refused me. I went with St. Farm and have been with them since.

Boolit Master

I signed up for in-drive with St. Farm insurance. I've been with St Farm all my life, since 1965.

It's a module that plugs into the test port on my Saturn Vue. Immediate 5% discount, further discounts if I drive well under the 10,000 mile/year I'm at right now. It keeps track of my driving habits as well as I suppose some other things. No bio readings though, but so what? I've nothing to hide.
    Last edited by snuffy; 07-04-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

So you are assuming the source of this is reliable?

Onion perhaps?

Boolit Master
    30+ years ago my folks were with Allstate on their home. Had the policy for some 30 years. Pipe broke and flooded most of the house. Allstate said, even before the carpet got wet it was used and used carpet is worth next to nothing, so that was what Allstate gave them. Insurance agents are your best friend while they're selling. Then, when there's a claim they give you the long face and say, "I'm really sorry, but that's the best we can do."

Back when the insurance companies paid off the gov't to allow them to surcharge after a claim. That's when the insurance companies became no better than an organized criminal racket that you pay protection money to.

You pay premiums to cover you in case you have an accident. Then, when you have an accident you find out that those premiums you've been paying for 10 or 20 years weren't to cover you in case you had a claim. They were pure profit for the insurance company, because now that you've had a claim they're going to surcharge you on top of your premium until you pay back the amount of the claim.

About 12 years ago when the stock market started imploding, because insurance companies are the biggest stock holders in the U.S., most insurance companies jacked up the homeowner policy rates 10 to 20%. Not because of increased risk, but just to make up for their losses in the stock market.

How do they get away with all this? Because nearly all politicians work for those who bribe them, not for those who vote for them. And SCOTUS has ruled that bribing politicians is a constitutional right, protected by the 1st amendment.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    I signed up for in-drive with St. Farm insurance. I've been with St Farm all my life, since 1965.

It's a module that pligs into the test port on my Saturn Vue. Immediate 5% discount, further discounts if I drive well under the 10,000 mile/year I'm at right now. It keeps track of my driving habits as well as I suppose some other things. No bio readings though, but so what? I've nothing to hide.
    Proof right here that they don't need to force this on us. Sheep willingly sign up. You're willing to give up your privacy for a 5% discount? I have seven vehicles on my policy and 5% off that sure as hell isn't worth it. Eventually this technology will be a requirement to have an insurance policy. Thanks for starting us down that path.

I've been looking for a 67 chevy pick up lately.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Allstate now. Got it when I moved to the south. My daughter recently totaled my truck in another state. I called them and the 1st woman I talked to was awful. They cant do anything till monday ( it was saturday ), she wasnt on my policy, yada yada yada...She also had one of the most annoying voices I have ever heard. I cut her off and told to put her supervisor on the phone. After explaing my daughter just got back from the sandbox which is why she was not on the policy and only had 2 weeks leave to get home and no car which is why she was in my truck he bent over backwards to help. Got an agent licensed in my state to immediately add her on so I was covered, helped find her a hotel and said the adjuster would call me the next day which she did. When the rental company would not give her a car for some reason but would rent her one for $100/day I called Allstate. Allstate said "not even close, we will handle it" and she was in a car less than one hour later no out of pocket. The adjuster called me next day, went over to the tow companies yard, declared it a total and called me that day. I had a check cut and in my hand for much more than expected by the end of the next week.

The whole thing was top notch from start to finish.
    Last edited by jonp; 06-28-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I LOVE the older Mercedes Benz diesels

I have been driving Mercedes diesels for well over 30 years. Currently I drive a 1987 Mercedes 300 diesel with 413,000 miles on it. I bought it with a shade over 100,000 on it 10 years ago. Religiously maintained it with oil and filter changes every 3000 miles. It still doesn't burn a drop of oil and purrs like a diesel should. I did the body over 2 years ago and this car is reliable as all get out.
    I LOVE the older Benz cars because there are next to no electronics on it. The biggest electronic piece is the cruise control and the heat/AC control. They are just old fashioned printed circuit boards. Both have been rebuilt by geeky engineers in California - TWICE! Yank 'em out, send them, they fix them and they send them back. They test and replace if need be every resistor, diode and transistor on the board. Reinstall and you are good to go.
    I once had an alternator let go as I left Buffalo NY. It got darker and darker as the battery ran down. I jumped off the NY State Thruway into a motel before it got really dark. I just parked it, locked it up, and let it idle all night. Got in the next morning and drove away. No muss no fuss. These diesels have a mechanical injection system so who needs any electronics?
    I'll stick with the older diesels, thanks. Starting to look for a good used 99 or so.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 06-28-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have been looking at a mid 90's jeep CJ. I would rip out the computer controlled motor and drop in a 350 with a carb. Keep it simple, not need much for spare parts...
    You could replace the engines current electronics with a MegaSquirt or MicroSquirt DIY ECU. That would be cheaper, give modern electronics/fuel system, allow for E85 if desired and for you to be in control. The price is about $160 for one that you solder to $650 for ready to run.

http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm

http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/megas...ons_diyefi.htm