Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KOMA Oklahoma City?

KOMA Oklahoma City?

Wondering if anyone else here grew up in the West listening to the Power House KOMA at night from Oklahoma City.

I remember doing my homework in the late '60's listening to my little transistor radio picking up KOMA when the sun went down in Cheyenne. First heard Cream, BB King, Joe Cocker, Aretha, Smokie, Hendrix, Doors, and on, from KOMA.

My fathers day present was a Blue Ray player and the 2005 Cream get together DVD from The Royal Albert Hall. Brings tears to my old tired eyes. I always wanted to play bass after hearing Jack Bruce thump out fitting, rhythmic lead and back up for Cream. Currently in the process of studying how to to build my own acoustic bass just for kicks after seeing (RIP) Jack Bruce enjoying his early times again...

KOMA broaden anyone else music horizons back in the day?
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Buddy

In the mid to late 70's, my hunting buddies and I would run the rural roads of the west, late night into the wee hours of the morning, en route to our weekend hunting destinations. Between school and flippin burgers, if we wished to hunt, the darkness was our only travel option.

The only radio station we could tune in, consistently, was KOMA. Can't say it broadened my musical horizons. Will say, it was nice to have a reliable companion, when any number of said buddies, nodded off to sleep, at 2AM, MST.

Then, along came the 8 Track player...................! And Woofers!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master

I used to listen to KOMA in the early and mid 70's when on the road at night almost anywhere out west. Also used to pick it up at night on the east side of the Sierra's in CA when I worked for the USFS back in mid 70's. Always made me feel a little closer to home.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Blast from the past. I grew up in rural SW Nebraska and late at night KOMA was the only station you could get. It was a constant companion while dating my now wife of 42 years who lived 50 miles away. As I recall, didn't they change to country at one time?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    MEMORIES

Back in my day it was WCKY Cincinnati 1 Ohio.

From Va Beach,Gitmo and most of a Med cruise.

What memories.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Listened to KOMA a bunch. Got it one time coming down from Big Bear Lake, in SoCal. Otherwise, it was only 25 ish miles away from my Grandparents and I would get to listen to it (and WKY) all the time when we were visiting.

I would pick it up occasionally from the So. Cal. desert in the early 70's.

Boolit Buddy

Having grown up in the Missouri Ozarks, reception was always a hit and miss affair. On some nights, I could get KOMA, on others, WLS (Chicago). If you could receive one, you could not get the other. Bringing back a LOT of memories.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I spent many an hour listening to KOMA growing up in SE Colorado during the 60's and early 70's. I started listening about 1959. I was only 5, but had a sister 9 years older than me and that was the station she listened to. We could only get it after sundown, but at my grandparent's farm 50 miles south, we could get it during the day.

I spent a lot of summer nights cruising the back roads with a couple 6 packs of 3.2 Coors (3.2 was legal at 18, and at least one of us was kind of close to 18) and several buddies listening to Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeplin, Hendrix, Creedence.....oh man- those WERE the days!

The last time I listened to KOMA they had gone country.

Mighty pretty, in Oklahoma City!!! Thanks for some excellent nostalgia of simpler times.

Can't say I ever did but do remember Wolfman Jack out of Chicago.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    Can't say I ever did but do remember Wolfman Jack out of Chicago.
    CD

KOMA was THE number one station in NE Colorado in the late 60's and early 70's but only at night and yes, a couple of six packs of 3.2 Uncle Adolf's Mind Tenderizer and a cold winter night helped keep the rabbit population in complete control.
    Also didn't Wolf Man Jack operate from XERA out of Del Rio ? I think he did bounce around a bit. If you never heard him on a good night when he really got wound up you really missed one of lifes treasurers !!!
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus

KOMA and WSM were listened to a lot on my crystal radio and a longwire antenna...

Yep, KOMA and WBAP out of Ft. Worth came in strong at night in Arizona. Also XROK 80 out of Juarez, day and night in this area. All AM in those days.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

KOMA, WLS, WHB, that mexican (don't remember the call sign but it was in english, just located in mexico) all interfered with each other, due to changing the beam pattern at different times of the day.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    also used to pick up WCCO in Minneapolis at night in south Idaho with a long wire antenna
    rockshooter

I also recall KVOO out of Tulsa was a strong country presence at night in my neck of the woods.
    As I thought about the OP, I recalled a Christmas Eve, probably in 1968, my brother and I were listening to our little radio in our bedroom in S. Arizona, late at night. I distinctly remember, for some reason Judy in Disguise playing on KOMA. I didn't know then and barely know now what the lyrics mean, but it was the epitome of cool to an 11 year old boy waiting for Christmas morning, haha
    Edited for clarification
    Last edited by DoubleAdobe; 06-28-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I remember it as a kid in Kernville and Ridgecrest Ca but the Mighty 690 and KFI were more reliable 60 milemiles from Reno Nv. My Dad and I went to Calgary to look at an airplane and KOMA was all there was all the way across Idaho.

I caught it on the FM side from just west of El Reno almost to McCalister . I knew I was lost in the bible belt when they played a radio edit of Hotel California in July of 13.

Wolfman Jack was a staple on the Mighty 690 but I think was syndicated all over .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance

KOMA was king with teenagers in West Texas in the early sixties. Everybody I knew in Jr high and high school listened to it.

Moderator Emeritus

I miss the days of individual radio stations! Now everything is the same top 20 **** on all stations... except one local I get. They play anything from jazz, 1940's country to new country, old rock... they are not a part of the new internet radio age http://www.935kscr.com/

Now this is weird.... I have lived under the KOMA transmitting towers for many years. There were three of them until they were taken out by the May 20, 2013, tornado that walked up 4th Street here in Moore. Same one that totaled my house. See, the towers were actually in Moore, not OKC. They stood side by side by side with the top lights flashing at night. I used those three flashing lights as guidance on many night flights to my home airport here in Moore. Since they were the only three towers that flashed like that for many miles in central Oklahoma, I would first home in on their LF which would guide me until I could identify the towers visually. I've picked up the LF many times out of Pampa or Amarillo, TX, only at night, & tried to navigate a straight line to Moore. It was kinda' neat listening to country music which would get louder as I flew closer. Now the towers are gone and so is my small home airport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast