Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new Star finger pincher

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Then the bullet feeder attachment is for you. I would save up for one.
    I do have a bullet feeder on order as I plan on adding a cylinder to actuate the ram and I do not have any desire to put my fingers any where near the ram when it punches a bullet through under air pressure!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oger View Post
    Take a lite coil spring and wind it around on of the shafts the ram rides on. No cotter keys or a spring hanging out for you to snag on.
    Yup, that certainly would work but would require dis-assembly of the sizer to accomplish. Also the larger spring would cost more than the skinny little spring I used if you have to purchase one.
    The little spring and cotter pins really do not hang out in the work area so there really is no concern about snagging on it plus installation does not require any dis-assembly and is easily reversible.

Do we even need to mention M1 Thumb?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Those machines were designed in the old days when folks were a little bit smarter.
    When I was a kid it was not uncommon to see older folks with digits partially or completely missing and most of those folks were smart as well as extremely skilled craftsmen. Stuff happens but equipment safety has improved as well as less hands-on fabrication so way less of these accidents seen today.

I saw a post here a few years ago regarding "Star bite" and I got a feeder for pistol CB's to prevent an accident as I value my digits. The feeder is impractical for rifle CB's especially when GC's need to be fitted. I don't have a safety spring setup but am aware of the risk of bite so I am careful.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Just got my (new to me) used Star Sizer delivered today. Need to get a heater and a die and punch for .311. Think I'm going to have to take the barrel vise off the bench to make room for the Star Sizer.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub

Completed Automation

Got it finished, man is this cool!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	144613

1.) Heated base consists of a 6 by 8 by three quarter inch aluminum plate, a 100 watt cartridge heater, and PID temperature controller, all courtesy of eBay. less than $50 and a couple hours drilling holes in the aluminum plate to mount every thing up.

2.) Lube cylinder pressure system. I went with of a couple neoprene washers on top of the stock piston and spring set up with a pressure regulator, $4.50 from Harbor Freight, and some quarter inch fittings I had laying around. The adapter on top of the stock Lube cap was a three eighths flare fitting to quarter inch national pipe thread from the local plumbing store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	144616

3.) The most complicated part was automating the stroke cycle. I accomplish this with a 5 inch stroke, 1-1/4 inch bore cylinder with built-in air cushions to keep it from hammering itself to pieces. This was another eBay purchase that cost me a whole 18 dollars with shipping. The most expensive part of the whole project was the assorted tube fittings, quarter inch plastic hose, and the hand control valve that I got from Automation Direct, they have really decent prices, all the stuff to hook everything together cost me about $68 again shipped, and I have several fittings left over for future projects. Took a couple of afternoons worth of tinkering to get the cylinder mounted and everything timed right.

4.) The final piece of the puzzle was the 1/2" od x 3/8" I'd Lexan tubing to make bullet holders. Got this in 6 foot lengths from Amazon, cut into 24" lengths and they hold about 45 of my 125 gr RNFP 38 cal. bullets. I load these in the evening while watching TV. Really speeds up the sizing operation.

Now, with just a flick of a finger I can lube bullets till my hearts content!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Star3.jpg   Star2.jpg  
    Last edited by 357Wheelgunner; 07-15-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Wow you really worked that Star over! Simply amazing!
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Very nice air assist setup you have done. Really nice long bullet tubes too. I automated both of mine as well as one I installed my wife and the other my son

Boolit Master

Very nice! So what are you going to do with the time saved?
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Nice job, looks great. You should consider linking a video of your take on automation to the Star Sizer sticky thread

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Very nice! So what are you going to do with the time saved?
    Cast more boolitz of course!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe123 View Post
    Nice job, looks great. You should consider linking a video of your take on automation to the Star Sizer sticky thread
    I will have to think about that one, never done a video before.

Boolit Bub
    Awesome!!!.
    Video, please.

This is why GOD invented that thingy called "an auto feeder", which keeps yor hand about 8 inches away from where your fingers get CUT OFF !

I spent very little (relatively speaking) in comparison to having to work with less than a full complement of digits/fingers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master

Nice air set-up, but I don't see how any time is saved, as you have to flip the switch for every bullet. Saves some effort though, but I am young enough that it is no big deal. My local TAP Plastics has all the tubes I need for my bullet feeders, no need for Amazon.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Nice air set-up, but I don't see how any time is saved, as you have to flip the switch for every bullet. Saves some effort though, but I am young enough that it is no big deal. My local TAP Plastics has all the tubes I need for my bullet feeders, no need for Amazon.
    Just wait, you will someday discover that it is not all about speed!

I Lube/sized bullets for half a century on Lyman 45 and 450 sizers and it never was an issue. However approaching 60 years at the bench, along with other activities, and advancing arthritis have left my hands pretty beat up so that anything that I can do to remove both repetitive and gripping movements is a huge plus.

Oh, I live on the North slope of the Olympic Mountains. No "local" much of anything out here except scenery so, unless you want to drive a couple of hours and a $40 ferry boat ride to get to any serious "shopping", Amazon is a must if you want anything out of the ordinary.

Boolit Buddy
    You don't have to disassemble the sizer all you do is start one coil of the spring around the shaft and wind the rest of it on very easy to do.

Boolit Mold
    Took a slightly different approach. Got a roller handle from Lathesmith, got to looking and thinking..... it measures .375, that is 3/8. Cut 3/8 NC threads on the end of it, lightly filed it down just a tiny bit, ran it through the holder. Then got a long hanger nut from hardware, section of threaded rod, 2 nuts and stack of washers and basically built a bob weight on other side of handle. A little experimenting as to amount and location , works just fine.

The bullet feeder also makes the handle stay down, will the cotter pin,sping kit keep it up with the bullet feeder
    on it?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    The bullet feeder also makes the handle stay down, will the cotter pin,sping kit keep it up with the bullet feeder
    on it?
    No, the little spring that I have for the lift will not counteract the larger, stiffer spring that withdraws the bullet feeder. However it will hold it up about 3/4 of the way and keep it in place. I would think that a stiffer "lift" spring would be counterproductive since you would be fighting thee heavier spring every time you stroke the machine. In my case it was kind of a moot point since the air cylinder installation eliminated the handle entirely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12