RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 55 Classic BP measure Drop Tube Lock Screw thread?

Exclamation Lyman 55 Classic BP measure Drop Tube Lock Screw thread?

What is the thread for that little set-scew that holds the drop tube in? I spent about 15 minutes rummaging through old primers on the carpeting before I gave up. Surfing the web hasn't revealed the thread. Why order it from Lyman if Ace has a socket head set screw for 50 cents, if that?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

I would carry it with me to the hardware store to be sure to find the right one.

Boolit Master
    I will check mine in the AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    I will check mine in the AM.
    I checked and it is a #10, and the thread count looks to be 36. At least that is what my 55 year old eyes saw, but I suppose it could be 40. Not a standard size, but most hardware stores have an aisle stocked with small screws and some have odd sizes. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    I checked and it is a #10, and the thread count looks to be 36. At least that is what my 55 year old eyes saw, but I suppose it could be 40. Not a standard size, but most hardware stores have an aisle stocked with small screws and some have odd sizes. Good luck.
    I went into Ace today and struck out with a #10 24 and 28, tried metric as well. The screw goes in about 1-2 threads, then stacks up. Wait a minit, I do have a Starrett thread gauge, though I've only used it on external, the leaves are small enough to chech this thread.

Wondered about the thread, since the 55 has been around so long...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Try a 10-32 UNF, the #10 is about .185 dia. The 10-32 is the normal fine thread on a #10 screw.

If all else fails, you can re-drill and tap. Try a magnet in the carpet, the primers are non magnetic, but the screw is probably magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Try a 10-32 UNF, the #10 is about .185 dia. The 10-32 is the normal fine thread on a #10 screw.

If all else fails, you can re-drill and tap. Try a magnet in the carpet, the primers are non magnetic, but the screw is probably magnetic.
    Just measured the minimum diameter of the screw hole with a small hole gauge - @ .160, Machinery's Handbook says that is the smallest diameter for the threads on a screw hole on a 10-36. Used a thread gauge, the 36 tpi leaf was so on-form that I had to rotate the holder like I was unsrewing it...

Yes, primers are pretty much non-magnetic, during the initial search for the screw the darned things stayed on the floor... What a mess.

I will be calling Lyman soon. Initially, I hoped it would be a common thread. Doesn't look that way.

Used my favorite trick to detect small things on the floor, a flashlight parallel to the floor. That way, even small things throw a shadow... Nada. Sure it is there, but I'm not waiting until I find it...

UPDATE 1 July Holy snap, the service rep is sending the screw for free...
    Last edited by ohland; 07-01-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    UPDATE 1 July Holy snap, the service rep is sending the screw for free...
    Well good on 'em for that!