RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Red Angel A/C leak stop

Red Angel A/C leak stop

Curious to hear from those that have tried Red Angel to try and stop an automotive 134 leak. Did it work or did you waste $33?

BB

Boolit Master
    I have never had any of the A/C leak stop products actually stop a leak. They have slowed it down, but they all eventually required repair. Find the leak, Most are easy to repair.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Curious to hear from those that have tried Red Angel to try and stop an automotive 134 leak. Did it work or did you waste $33?

BB
    IMO, finding the leak is the tough part. lol

Finding a leak can be a challenge at times, most systems have a dye that can be seen with a blacklight that many times helps. I will say that using a stopleak and then recovering with a machine that most shops use is detrimental to the recovery machine.

Boolit Man
    The A/C techs state to never use the leak stop, it causes more problems and will cost more when they have to fix the real problem.

I had older f250 a couple of years ago that had a slow leak, I would fill the system and it would work well for 4 months or so, enough to get thru the summer, much cheaper than a repair, but if you are keeping long term, get fixed

Banned

your gonna have to have it fixed anyway.....

Been trying to find a leak in the wife's truck for 5 years now and still can't find it even with the dye still can't find it ready to try the AC pro stuff soon.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

The evaporator can leak, you can't see it often times. Many times an expensive fix.

Boolit Grand Master

Red Angel A/C leak stop

While not automotive related I'm an HVAC Technician by trade. We absolutely don't use the leak stop products. One of the main reasons is it voids all warranties. We've tried it in a couple of older systems at the owner's request over the years. It did not work at all. Find the leak and fix it.

Boolit Master
    As an auto tech I would not recommend using any stop leak products. They may or maynot clog the leak but will blow the compressor or clog the orface tube/TXV valve. What kind of truck? If its a slow leak it may be hard to spot. The dye gloes under UV light and maynot glow with a black light. Look for any wet spots especially in the condenser area. A small rock dent can cause a leak. Also look at any weld joints on condenser. If it has rear ac take a good look at the front to rear lines. Could be corroded under a band clamp or line hose.

Boolit Master

A fully equipped automotive AC service man will have a Freon sniffer that can detect miniscule amounts of Freon in the air. They have an audible signal wen they detect Freon. That's the best way to find a leak.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    A fully equipped automotive AC service man will have a Freon sniffer that can detect miniscule amounts of Freon in the air. They have an audible signal wen they detect Freon. That's the best way to find a leak.

David
    To bad Freon isn't used anymore. Like Kleenex, Freon is a brand name. In this case it's for R12. If you can't tell this is one of my pet peeves :beer:

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrvmax View Post
    The A/C techs state to never use the leak stop, it causes more problems and will cost more when they have to fix the real problem.

That's right, if you use a stop leak product and it doesn't work you'll need to replace the entire system because the stop leak will severely damage the recovery system that the shops are require to use to evacuate and recharge your system. They generally don't work, anyway.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Red Angel isn't a water reactive stop leak. The water reactive products are the ones the will plug up a recovery system.

I have already used dye and a light and found the leak. It is an old car and my mechanic wants to try this product. He owns the recovery system so if he has enough faith let red angel into his equipment I am willing to pony up the $33 for 2 oz.

BB

a/c leak

try looking at the input valve on your a/c. I once had a leak that drove me nuts. Finaly found that the screw in valve, shrader valve was loose and not making a good seal.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Been trying to find a leak in the wife's truck for 5 years now and still can't find it even with the dye still can't find it ready to try the AC pro stuff soon.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.