MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: lyman 525 seating deep?

Boolit Bub

lyman 525 seating deep?

I loaded some lyman 525 slugs in the fed gold metal hulls with waa12 substitute from claybusters with 31.5 grains of x800. The wad and the slugs seemed to seat with very light pressure. when I seated the wad deep enough on top of the powder to keep it from being able to shake around the slug was about 1/4 inch below the point of where the fold crimp would be flat. Do I have to seat the wad tight down on the powder to keep a pressure spike? The load does not call for it but can I put some cork disks or nitro cards on top of the slug? thanks

Boolit Buddy
    A nitro card under the slug is the way to go---it will have negligible effects on pressure, if that's a concern. It will also help keep the wad out of the slug base, and should enhance accuracy.

Boolit Bub
    It looks lime if I out anything under between the slug and inside of wad that the top part of the slug will be outside the cup and not tight in the barrel between the cup. Is it ok to put something on top the slug?

Boolit Mold
    Those federal hulls could be deep base. I'd back the charge down and put a nitro card over the powder to lift it up to crimp better