RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OUCH! Trigger Finger Takes a Vacation!

Boolit Grand Master

OUCH! Trigger Finger Takes a Vacation!

Cut my right index finger quite badly in a workplace accident this morning, could tell right off I wasn't going to fix this one using my beloved butterfly closures. This was just hours after getting a good weather report for a scheduled range trip Sunday with my old shooting buddy.
    I think I did pretty good, immediately checked out the wound and applied pressure with my thumb. Reported to the boss, as required, and he immediately regretted asking for a better look, lol.
    Got to the clinic and the poor nurse was queasier than I was, had to manipulate my finger to get it into the little irrigation tray. You'd think a kid with that many tats wouldn't be that way, lol. PA who did the sutures was a sweet girl, she and her husband are shooters and I showed her my latest SAA acquisition pics on my I-phone. We talked about the Cabelas rewards for a bit while she started work. Must admit I faded out while she was putting in the Lidocaine, I wasn't aware of that much pain but she was on her toes and stopped to let me catch my breath. Noticed I was soaking wet with sweat and decided my mind was doing a good job of blocking pain. She mentioned "fight or flight" response and as a veteran of more than a few fights I reluctantly agreed. On occasion I have "shut down" after a strenuous fight. Stitches were uncomfortable, to say the least, but my new friend got me thru it. Most of the cut she was able to tape and Dermabond closed, thank goodness.
    E-mailed pics to my shooting buddy before the poor little nurse made a poor attempt at bandaging. Poor kid couldn't even tear tape and I was too spent to draw my knife with my offhand, lol. Probably would have been a bad idea, lol. Nice doc sent me home, gave my employer instructions that I wasn't to return to work until Monday. I can't take most pain meds but Advil is doing nicely. I was covering for another guy this week and put off most of my admin chores, next week is going to be a bear. Oh, well.
    Good news, I shoot pretty well with either hand. I have a new-to-me Uberti/Cimarron .45 Colt that is begging for a range trip with a box of BP loads. I just can't picture cleaning my new treasure using one hand so I told Graham I'd tag along and spot for him with his new rifle. He's offered to clean my revolver but I think he just wants to fondle her, may even let him shoot her. We'll see.
    Movie marathon, my house, next four days! Actually have tons of work to do on my mom's estate but I can dream, right?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I try to avoid doing that sort of thing myself, after I nearly amputated the tip of my right middle finger many years ago. Glad you're going to be okay; hope your trigger finger doesn't bother you too much in the future!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

I could see the knuckle moving in the cartilage on this one, 5 internal stitched to put the tendon back together then the external ones.

Yikes.Folks,look after youselves,says a guy who cut his middle in a "v" shape to the bone at the first and second joint.
    Am a right hander and will be shooting left hand come saterday.All little martini`s.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    Yikes.Folks,look after youselves,says a guy who cut his middle in a "v" shape to the bone at the first and second joint.
    Am a right hander and will be shooting left hand come saterday.All little martini`s.
    Was that "sipping martinis" or "shooting little martinis?"
    If they are little, does it matter if you sip six packs?

I'd love having a martini to shoot!
    I lost the end to one finger working as a restaurant cook at 17. I was cooking just a little faster than my ability allowed!
    Just the tip. People never see it unless I point it out.

Boolit Master
    Sorry you got hurt. Getting hurt is never any fun, however getting attention from pretty nurses make up for is, a little bit anyways. First machine shop I ever worked, the boss did not like the sight of blood, so whenever I got cut, I would squeeze the heck out of it, and really make it bleed before I went to see him. He almost hated to see me coming. "what now?" he would say, and I would be delighted to show him and watch his reaction.

Boolit Grand Master

Guess I won't let a few stitches ruin a range trip. We stay pretty busy shooting the breeze so if I don't shoot it will still be a pretty good trip. I can't shoot the rifles I need to shoot and I think casting and loading for my other projects can wait. There might even be a Martini involved but it's a 22 Hornet. A glass (or three) of vino was a good backup to the Advil last night, slept pretty good in spite of a long nap yesterday afternoon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang! Sorry you got hurt! It's always a showstopper, but unfortunately cannot be comletely avoided.
    Take care, and don't overdo it!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Guess I won't let a few stitches ruin a range trip. We stay pretty busy shooting the breeze so if I don't shoot it will still be a pretty good trip. I can't shoot the rifles I need to shoot and I think casting and loading for my other projects can wait. There might even be a Martini involved but it's a 22 Hornet. A glass (or three) of vino was a good backup to the Advil last night, slept pretty good in spite of a long nap yesterday afternoon.
    I call my poison a Smoteroo Hotv - Sapphire Martini On ThE Rocks, One Olive - HOld The Vermouth. Usually a double,+, but only one per day (well, maybe 2).
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Was out with the elec. chain saw cutting some pretty good sized branches, must have nicked myself on the elbow tossing them in a pile. Son drove up to drop off the kids, they thought I'd cut my arm bad. Kids wouldn't even look at it, when the wife got home they told her I'd cut my arm off. Plavics will do that to you. Seeing my blood doesn't bother me much, seeing others does. Weird psycho. Heal fast!
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Blood, mine or others', generally doesn't bother me much. Same with needles and most types of pain. I dunno, maybe just getting soft in my old age, lol. My hands still heal pretty fast so hopefully will be good as new in a few weeks, Popper.

Boolit Master

Bummer hope you do not get scar tissue in the finger like i did.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your injury. I feel your pain. Got nine stitches on my thumb over Memorial Day weekend. Right down the middle of it w/ a mandolin slicer. Really deep cut that kept me out of work for two weeks. Got hit w/ 480 volts at work today thanks to a wiring harness that was frayed where we couldn't see it. Hoping I'm not really cramped up over the couple days. I'd rather cut myself then get hit w/ electricity because you know how bad the damage is immediately.

Frosted Boolits

Bummer. Time to learn to shoot with the other hand...
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

Glad it was not worst. Take a few days to let it heal, and do a little of what you can.

Dang sorry to hear you got hurt, sounds worst than a paper cut. I got cut one time boss took me to hospital and the gal at front desk told us I would have to wait 20 people ahead of me. Ask to see the cut so I poked my hand thru the window and let the blood run onto her desk. I was sent back immediatly. I never liked the glue to hold a cut together, seems I'm a little to active. The old friction tape used to heal cuts in a short time.
    Hope all is good to go with no long term problems.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

re; little martini`s.310 cadet,32-20 and a 17ackley bee.Packing gear now.
    Wound was washed and glued,taped to third finger for support.

Hey Tx, Sorry to hear about your finger! Guess you'll only be typing at half speed now!

Banned

Good to see you are on the mend. Last gash I got on my hand was wide open. Interesting to see what's in there. Thank God for Lidocaine, amazing stuff. 14 stitches and a scar that looks like Dr. Frankenstein did the work. The industrial clinic physician for sure never had any training in plastic surgery.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope you heal quickly and completely. Dont over do it popping a stitch can cause a pulled shot out of the group. It seemed like everytime Ive had stitches for an injury I pop a couple sometime along the way ( especially if I take the pain killers) by overdoing it. Kick back use the time to think thru and plan new projects while you heal up. Work the paper and pencil getting things set up for when your ready to go again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast