Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Personal Firearms Records

Boolit Master

Personal Firearms Records

I have my firearms information in a envelope on 3x5 cards. I would like to put them on a flash drive for convenience.

Anyone have a personal favorite software designed for firearm records they would recommend? Something allowing attached photos an such.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Moderator Emeritus

I built a Excel spreadsheet for mine....works great
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Years ago,I had a M27-2 Smith stolen. Goose Creek,SC police now has it.I can't prove it's mine.The sn was never writen down anywhere.So they won't give it back.My BIL stole it.

Long story short...I write them down now!

Paul.....how about sharing the spread sheet,good idea.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

The sn was never writen down anywhere..

Finally! This European licensing nonsense has ONE benefit after all! The police KNOW who is the legal owner and will return the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    The sn was never writen down anywhere..

Finally! This European licensing nonsense has ONE benefit after all! The police KNOW who is the legal owner and will return the guns.

I take it that you didn't highlight the comment purple to show sarcasm. It is easy, select the text, go up to the "A" on the menu bar above the text box, click on the down arrow, choose purple, done.

Just because the police know the real owner doesn't mean they have to give it back. Sometimes they do....
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

A friend years ago had a custum commander stolen from his car. It was built up to the point rail had been repleced with the rods. A true custom carryPiece. He did finally get it back 10 years later or so. I was recovered a couple years later but was evidence in a trial and had to be held for it and all of the appeals. Then the police had to run him down and contact him. Things move very slowly in the legal system. I have a spreedsheet made up that lists serial number pertint info date purchased where or from who, How much was paid for it, a scan of the sales recipt, a section for any modifications custom work special features. This is kept on several discs in diffrent locations so a house fire dosnt wipe out the nly copy. I have a disc at a friends at a family members and here at home. A flash drive disc or even paper corp with all the information pertaining to the firearm is a big help at times.

Boolit Grand Master

Tom, I see you are on this thread. You need to chime in!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    A record book is useful and should be considered the minimum. I use one of the inexpensive bound ledger books available at any office supply store. The supplement to the log book is digital photographs stored on some type of stable media, I use a CD. Take a minimum of three pictures of each firearm: an overall photo, a close up of the serial number and a close up of the make & model stamp. Take your time and get good, sharp images in which the numbers & letters are clearly legible.
    STORE THE CD AWAY FROM THE GUNS ! Keep it in the home of a trusted relative or friend, in a safe deposit box, at a lawyer's office, at your office, etc. Some place the photographs will not be lost in a common accident such as a fire.
    This provides the best method to report and possibly recover lost or stolen firearms. It provides solid evidence for both a police report and an insurance claim.

+1 excel I use the next tab for photos, and I track all accessories and expenditures in case I need to sell the gun. I do this for most large purchases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I have my firearms information in a envelope on 3x5 cards. I would like to put them on a flash drive for convenience.
    Anyone have a personal favorite software designed for firearm records they would recommend? Something allowing attached photos an such.762
    Check out this link.
    Precision Firearm Records Software

(All Shooting and Reloading software may be installed and will run correctly on removable or flash drives. The software modules will run on virtually any computer with a Windows operating system)

Although, at first glance, the software package may appear to be complicated, the Firearm Records module is intuitive and easily mastered.
    Even a computer novice can maintain a comprehensive record of images and vital statistics on all types of firearms.
    With a digital camera, you can catalog and store a complete visual record or each of your personal firearms. The images below are a few of the many imaging aspects of the Firearm Records software package.

Click the images for larger size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintArmsImageCtrl.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	142794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintArmsPrint1.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	142795
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintArmsShortImages.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	142796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintArmsLongImages.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	142797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrintArmsSingle.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	142798

Information entered into the personal firearms database may also be used by the companion software modules that are available for download from the Precision Shooting Software Store, enabling complete loading and target records to be stored and retrieved for each firearm.

This software application and the companion modules on the website were designed to be compatible with the needs of both Cast Bullet and Jacketed Bullet shooting.

Take some time and explore all the links to the many pages on the:
    Precision Software website

Please post any questions or concerns relating to the Precision Software packages, and I will answer them here and then re-post them in the Vendor Sponsor forum into a Frequently Asked Questions section.

The Precision Shooting Software Store can provide you with a software application that will complement nearly all aspects of your firearms collecting, loading and shooting needs, be they of the cast or jacketed bullet type.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 06-24-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Tom, I see you are on this thread. You need to chime in!
    Hi Wayne,

Yeah, I was working on the reply.

I will soon be releasing the Precision Ballistics ~ 5 and Precision Load Records ~ 5 modules so I will be more active in promoting the Precision Software packages.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Moderator Emeritus

PM me if you are interested....Built on Excel in Landscape (page layout)

Make
    Model
    Serial No.
    Caliber
    Finish
    Comments
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I really don't like the cloud as a place to store things, but I think this would be one of those applications for safety. If you are worried about someone stealing the info, there encryption programs.... But I'm guessing that if you are that paranoid, you wouldn't be on line at all..... Especially here discussing your guns

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Lee software for years, may have to upgrade to Tom's someday. I print a hard copy now and then and put it in my bank safe deposit box.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Another Tom chimes in (but not the requested one).

Regardless of what you own, if it is a firearm of interest to thieves (ergo all), then you (everyone) needs at least an index, if not cloud storage. My point- insurance. Most folks have renter's policies or homeowner's policies. That's cool. But those policies have a dollar limit on firearm theft/loss. Look at your policy; ask your agent. If your collection exceeds your policy limit, then schedule. It's cheap. It's easy.

Regards,
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I've been using the Lee software for years, may have to upgrade to Tom's someday. I print a hard copy now and then and put it in my bank safe deposit box.
    An excellent solution. The key to success requires both an accurate record and storage of that record apart from the guns themselves. This doesn't need to be complicated.

Boolit Master

You don't need any fancy piece of software when MS Word will do.
    I have a manila folder in my gun safe with the rest of the house documents and passports. In it I have one page for each firearm in the safe - the top half has a color picture of the gun, below is a description of what it is and caliber, the serial number, pertinent info a savy buyer might be interested in (what the barrel slugs out to, barrel length, rifling twist, year built), and what the average price of it goes for on Gunbroker.
    I figure if I drop dead, at least the wife will have less of a chance of being ripped off by some unscrupulous gun dealer telling her a several thousand dollar Mannlicher is worth only fifty bucks because its old. On the cover of the manila folder I have the contact info for several of the guys I shoot silhouette with, who can guide her through the sales process. (and who would make out like bandits in my reloading room).
    I keep the Word file on several thumb drives - one in the safe with the folder, the other at my parents house.

Boolit Master
    This is my excell planagram. It includes a picture, and all information for future tracking, ( I don't know why the picures and the divisional lines are not showing up)

Colt Sheriff Model 3rd generation
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Steve/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    serial number: XXXX
    caliber: .44-40
    barrel length: 3 in.
    stock/ grips: black plastic/ Ivory
    purchase date: 12/1/2008
    primary usage: collection
    NOTES:
    another of the guns that I bought from Bob. Great deal, and
    looks good. Gave $000.00
    $XX0 for the now impossible to get IvoryFrom Keith Anderson..
    the guy I traded the sharps to for the peaemaker so many years ago!!
    date sold
    who
    IFOID
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black