WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: He showed me a Squib

Banned

He showed me a Squib

Ok, so I went shooting today. I wanted to try a powder from back in the day. HS-6. I only had 10 rounds PC'd, so I loaded them at a 7 gr starting load.

Every one fired, the recoil was nice, and other than the first shot which I pulled, had a group much much better than I was accustomed to with the Unique and WST powders I have been using.

Except the last round which felt light. I assumed that I had inadvertently loaded one of the baby rounds that are used for kids, new-b's and malfunction training.

Well, a few minutes ago, something told me to check the bore. Well, I'm a Christian, and accustomed to listening to that. So, even though we dont look down the barrel of loaded guns anymore than Peter wanted a BLT, I checked the bore.

Guess what?

You know what...

There was a bullet stuck about half way in. It's a subcompact, so, half way. It was easy to see. The feeling it gave me wasn't so easy, more like uneasy. 'specially since I have been carrying it all day like that.

So, when a semi auto doesn't eject the case, and feels light, check the bore. Might not have been from your kids ammo box. (honestly, they feel similar in recoil).

I have shot and loaded at least 25,000 rounds for this caliber, 70% of those through this gun. This was the first time that I had loaded one empty, and I KNOW that it was the Holy Spirit that told me to check that barrel.

Praise God.

Amen. Glad nothing bad happened.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned

Me too of course.

I never just shoot a magazine. I was out doing load development on the rifle and thought I'd bring a pistol target and start data collection.

Boolit Master

Great reminder that paying attention to ours guns and the Holy Spirit is wise!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    While I have never had a stuck bullet I did load one round of 45ACP on my Dillon 550 with a primer upside down. (Must have happened when loading the primer tube.)

Was shooting with a buddy when he had a pop instead of bang. He ejected the faulty round and aimed again when I called a cease fire to check the bore, thinking that there was no powder charge in the affected case. That is when we discovered the backwards primer in the case on the ground.

That is a great reminder and one that I will remember.

With well over 100,000 rounds shot, 99+% reloads, the only squibs I've seen, twice, is from commercial 22LR. Just pointing this out as somehow reloads get a bad rap while commercial usually gets a pass.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I had a pastor tell me a story once. He was late for a important meeting, he was down town and needed a parking place.
    So he prayed for one. Right before his eyes a car pulls out. He then said, I don't know if he answered my prayer, but he new what was going to happen and used it to strengthen my faith. AMEN
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

You might be surprised at how often He will help you out if you follow Him and just talk to Him.

Believe in that constant conversation that the relationship with God brings with it. Has helped me more than a few times.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned

Yessir.

Boolit Buddy

I thank God for protecting you, he is so good to us. Next time a cynical person thinks an act of god is a coincidence ask them what 1/25,000 is and tell them this story.