Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .308 subsonic

Boolit Master

.308 subsonic

Back to the .308 subsonic. All I can find is the D. Corbin description of all his dies and accessories. Somewhere was a soft point round nose in the 200 gr +/- range. There was a focus about a reforming die to make the nose round again after forming. It may have been another cal. other than the .308, however in the quest for proper procedures I am getting the idea that after forming the tip, both round nose and round nose hollow point there is a final step with a reforming die????. Off and on for the last two years I've been toying with the idea of a sub sonic suppressed semi auto .308, however I'm being pointed toward the AR10 platform since A1A's don't fully function consistently semi auto with that type of load. I don't want to start the war of the A1A's I've read both sides of the issue about pressures and modified gas valves I want to explore swaging sub sonic loads for suppressing.

Thanks,
    Bill

I have an RCECO 510-1E set that came with a lead tip reform die. After the point is formed, there's a lot of friction to overcome to eject it from the die. This tends to dork up the lead tip. The ejection rod is about 1/8" diameter. The lead tip reform puts a hemispherical nose shape back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1633.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	142679

Boolit Master

Beautiful bullet Tiger.
    Bill, I have been fooling around with a blackout, subsonic function with out muffler is a little tricky, yep tried heavy bullets, and do have pistol length gas system.
    Works great with 170 grainers at 1700.
    I have not done any research on how to get proper function with subsonic .308. What do you plan to try?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Tiger, that's the boolit round nose I was talking about. The .308 page Corbin has doesn't say anything about re shaping the hollow point, just stripping the jacket for mushrooming during penetration. The roundover was the first question a die maker asked me about re shaping the hollow point. Thanks.

Clodhopper remember the article about the 8mm bb's for ballistic tip 45 acp and all the punches and stuff BT made, maybe a smaller bb might help the .308 and no lead outside the crimp. I need another point forming die for the .308, since the only one I have is for the long shooter.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master

Maybe I'm approaching this subsonic .308 from.the wrong position. Something has come up about tip reforming.
    Does any one have the round nose point forming die for .308. I should be looking at the swaged boolit first.Can any one make me some round nose Boolits, I will supply.boat tail prepped cases in the 200 gr weight , which gives about .25" below the top of the j-word. PM me with the details, that would save some money on the decision for the round nose point forming die since there is an additional reforming die may be involved.

Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set but haven't done much with them yet

Bill,

Shoot me a PM and we can talk. I have a few designs that work great in the .300whisper/.300aac from 180g to 220g RN and SP they expand very well at sub-sonic velocities.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

reed PM sent.

Bill