RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Unev bases and checks?

Boolit Master

Unev bases and checks?

I've often wondered what effect a gas check has on a bullet with a rounded base edge. Like when the mold/ melt is too cool for proper casting. Does the check still seal the bore? I don't mean a BEVEL base design, but a 311041 or similar design that SHOULD have a flat base! I never seem to be able to save the ones I cast that aren't perfect. I return them to the pot and retry when I refill the pot.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I'll Take a crack at this: I have on occasion ( Probably more then I can remember) did not cull out a slightly rounded gas check base edge on my boolits and very successfully applied checks and shot them with out any strange behavior....Some even in a tempermental .243...but I'm not talking malformed boolits ...just those that almost made it ( They appear that they have a slight bevel where the square edge should be) But if the base is not full flat over 90% I remelt them
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington