Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Alcan AL101

Boolit Master

Alcan AL101

Acquired some older powder and this was in the mix. (3) 250 gram cans.

There's some info for handgun loads with AL 120 and AL5, haven't seen anything on this one.

Your input is appreciatted. 30CF.

Boolit Master
    Well, there's been some lookers but no takers on info.

I dug a little and found out it was used for on the lighter side 12 ga loads. It has a burning rate of being faster than Red Dot. Upon looking in a trusty Lyman manual it looks like 700X is faster than Red Dot in general and one that at least has a fair amount of good info on.

So, in the interest of keeping it interesting I'll see about trying a few loads with it soon. Probably some W/C's in a 357. Give me some time here as it's been hard to get lately (free time).

Boolit Mold
    I know this is old but was wondering if you found any information on AL-101? Do you have a picture of the can? I have some Alcan powder that is in factory cans but it does not have a label, only some load data that sounds like AL-101. My powder has very small round, gray flakes, does this sound like what you have?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alcan.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	254237

Banned

A sew years ago, I got about four pounds of Alcan 120 for free. Load data was real scarce but I managed to find a few examples and determined it burned like Red DOt, so I used starting Red Dot data and was careful. I shot it in all kinds of things, handguns and reduced cast bullet rifle loads. I found it to be good stuff and never had a problem. Used up the last of it about a year ago, but I'd take more if it came my way.

Never heard of Alcan 101 before. If it's good, hang onto it and try to find data for something you can use it in.

Boolit Master
    I have not done anything with AL101 as of yet, The lack of info being the biggest reason. I will breakout a can and open it for a quick look though.

The're some info in some pre 1980 Lyman manuals with handgun loads using AL 120 and 8. There could be another powder number listed also but it's not 101.

Banned

Worst case, use Bullseye data and watch for pressure signs. It has to be slower than Bullseye. Probably burns about like Red Dot or 700X, you should be OK if you avoid starting with max loads of one of those.

I have an old Lyman manual edition something 2nd, don't know if it is 22nd, 32nd or 42nd with a handwritten date of 1960 and hand written $2.00 on it, small size, spiral bound. It has 2 12 ga shotgun load data for Alcan 101, also a couple for Alcan Super M, Alcan Nike and Alcan 8. Also handgun load data for DuPont 5066 and Hercules HiVel #2. Anyone heard of these??? Along with many other powders that are still known today. Alcan 101 must be some pretty old powder. No 101 data for handguns. Sorry.

Banned

I have one with a lot of Hi Vel data, no idea what it is.

The 5066 was supposedly THE powder for target pistol loads in the 50s and 60s. I have a couple of old cans, but that powder is very suspect, so not gonna use it.

I'll use old powder if it's in good shape and I can find some reference data for it, that Alcan 120 was good stuff in my experience and a lot of guys would have just thrown it away.

Boolit Master
    I'll be loading some mid range loads with AL101 and some other current known powders to get a baseline.

Looking at Lyman pistol and revolver handbook (# 1) shows a few loads with AL5 and AL120, Unsure where 101 falls in there but the 120 loads shown have some peculiar properties.

In 38 super it's used with both jacketed and cast, some loads are similar to Unique, with std seating depths. Other loads appear to act much faster with bullets seated deeper.

I'll try some loads in 38 special and fire them in a 357, in the interest of safety. Will report back when I've some results.