Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Yahoo . . . Discovery is up and running 100%

Boolit Master

Yahoo . . . Discovery is up and running 100%

Been dreading taking it apart enough to check the sleeve and gasket that is leaking since it came back from warranty work on the poppit valve.

Leaked like a sieve around the breech I was assuming the O ring/gasket was bad or missing.
    I have been dreading tearing into this all week, but decicded this afternoon and get it fixed or be fit to be tied.

Took it down and all the parts were there and no damage.

Put it all back together (thrice) as It was and it leaked just the same.

Loosened everything that could be loosened and flipped the sleeve (transfers air from the reservoir to the chamber) over since that is the "only change" one could make.

Put it all back together and NO leak.

This fixes it and I am good to go.

As I typed this, I suddenly realized what happened and the fix for it and will take it all apart and redo it some time next week.

Dang, the saga continues, but with less drama and the gun functions as is.

Oh well like most things that one has to tear apart a couple of times I have a good familiarity with the pieces and parts and how they go/work together now.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-10-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Right on now if she ever goes sideways again you won't hesitate to tear into her and see what the problem is.

Good to hear you gave it up and shooting again .Marvin

Boolit Master

Well D@$%% spoke too soon.

Left it fully charged on Tuesday evening and when I came back tonight (Wednesday), I put a pellet in it, took careful aim and heard a kaplunk as the hammer fell on a fully discharged reservoir/valve.

NO air in the reservoir.

IF I had only read the Amazon guarantee return when I got it in and found that it was defective I would be rid of this piece of ****.

Benjamin's corporate response from the beginning was more than underwhelming.

One response from them two weeks after I sent an answer to their request for info . . . "I forgot to get back with you."

Many have great success with their products, but I will have NOTHING good to say after this and I am out the warranty shipping for work that held up for a whole week and a half.

Wow, Damn discovery, maybe better they will be better made when they make them in china.

I guess I am going to see if I can find one of the chinese knock offs of the Day State Huntsman that can be purchased through Canada.

They are supposed to be great rifles UNLIKE this discovery piece of ****.

So sorry I wasted the money to buy it and then follow up throwing money away on warranty shipping.

Guess I will blast the product I have and corporate persons warranty responses/discussion in every place on the web I can post it.

Just tried to pump it up and guess what can not even get it to hold air.

I think next shipping will be to corporate with a suggested orifice I expect them to place it in.

OH and to top it off I sent 20 bucks cash for return shipping, got the gun with $10.57 (IIRC) USPS shipping and the rest was kept as a tip.

YES I am far less than a satisfied customer.

Guess this goes with my charter arms bulldog as money WASTED ON INFERIOR PRODUCTS THAT FACTORY COULD/WOULD NOT FIX.

nagant\guy said now I could feel comfortable tearing into it, Yes I could, but why should I have to.
    There are limits to what I will spend on return for repairs too, will just blast their product whenever/whereever I can, saying I know others have good luck, BUT I certainly have NOT.

New signature will be "My Benjamin Discovery SUCKS"
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-11-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Really PEEOD now
    Amendments

Boolit Master

So much for field repair station, this time it went back to Crosman in NY for repairs.

Now up to 52 bucks in shipping back and forth.
    Amendments

I recently bought a marauder and was quite impressed with shot count per fill and sound but my 30+ year old 342 would out shoot it at 25 yds (as will my disco that I am happy with).

They sent me back an email and said they would test it out (guess they didn't trust me when I said I tried mor than a dozen pellets with 3 different optics, including one that was known good, VX III).

They said I might be able to recover shipping but I just returned it to a local retail store (lost $19 doing that as they are drop shipped from crossman, figured I would call that rental).

I really wanted a .22, as I have a bunch of them, but need to decide if I am going to get a .25 mrod or a .22 airforce. Decisions....

Boolit Master
    Was it new or used? Crosman claims they fixed the issue with the 22 barrels awhile ago.

Even though it's down on power and shot count, I think I'd go 177 for higher BC pellets at 900 fps. This video was enlightening. The compensation for wind with the 22 is like 4-5 times as much at only 40 yards. Worth watching just to hear the South African accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqZL7zUmvWg

It was new, going to give the .25 a try, supposed to have better barrels.

I don't think anyone has liked their 22 mrod. The .25's have Green Mountain barrels in them and everyone loves them.

On the Disco it should not have to be that a consumer has to fix a product to make it work. Most of the time the Disco's leak because of 1 of 3 things. A burr around the threads where the fill port is, burr around the hole for the pressure gauge, and the poppit is not sealing. A good deburr job usually take care of orings getting cut. The poppit can be fixed after you remove the valve and disassemble it. Take something like J-B paste and apply to the mating surface between the poppit and valve seat, attach a drill to the stem and polish it smooth like you would a car valve.

Boolit Master

According to USPS tracking, it arrived at Crosman today for the latest go around of repair.

Shoulda spent the extra bucks (shipping is starting to add up to meet the difference in cost) and bought a Hatsan 44.
    Amendments

I haven't had any issues with my Disco but Sally at crossman said that I could send a note with my marauder, asking to be reimbursed and they would send me some ammo too (accuracy problems).

I wound up just returning it to the business I bought it from but you might ask.

Boolit Master

It was purchased through Amazon and if I had heeded the sage advice from someone here early and returned it to Amazon I would be so much better off.

Did not even read their return policy until it had been sent to field repair station.

Will be interesting to see if Crosman's repair lasts longer than 2 weeks.

EVERY time I think about it, the Hatsan 44S 10 Long gets more attractive.

I do have to admit the gun shot pretty well when it was operational, but I think is is still quite a bit below the 44's standard.

Yet again an example that I should have spent a few more bucks on a "lifetime" investment.
    Amendments

My Gen 2 MROD shot great.Almost boreing accuracy.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries