Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've decided to join in on the pellet gun fun, guidance please.

Boolit Buddy
    I went a different route. Mine is a .22 cal Umarex Octane. It comes with good irons and a decent scope. Mine is a critter gitter. I've taken some tree chickens with it so far but its plenty enough for any small game out to 50 yards if you do your part. I've only got 300 shots thru it but I'm a believer.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the old Sheridan blue streaks.

BTW you can still find those old Sheridan's if you watch gunbroker and similar sites.

I picked up a second last year for 130 + shipping. At 150$ I was and still am tickled pink to have it.

It is just one of those guns which never let me down. Takes a minor amount of maintenance and upkeep.
    I did notice that the price of pellets rose last year right after I stocked up.

I figure people were doing as I did, put the .22lr in the safe, dig out the air gun for close range quiet jobs. And get out a re-loadable center fire like .223 for longer range work.

Of course the ultimate proof is in the pudding. Until you have a box of pellets through a sheridan at all kinds of targets at all kinds of ranges you probably won't understand the almost cult like following the Sheridan enjoys.

Boolit Master
    do not disregard the daisy target guns...no not the common fodder you find in the box stores. I have or have had the one variant of the sheridan/blue/streak/crosman pump ups at one point.
    The basic sights on the sheridan/benjiman/crosman 297/397 well , suck. The williams peep is a upgrade for sure although the adjustments are rather crude also.
    There are plenty of modifications for these rifles. Trigger work front sights ectect.
    If you are not used to a good trigger it wont matter much with most pellet guns. If you are indeed used to a smooth crisp trigger most pellet guns triggers are awful.
    Im a crosman 1400 fan myself (ANOTHER CRAPPY TRIGGER) but I like the power and accuracy mine deliver.

That said
    If your looking for a decent "marksmenship" type of pellet gun that wont be very expensive the daisy M853 offered by the CMP is a good little gun.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...er-air-rifles/

for general plinking fun the 880 does well, all though mine is a older rifled barrel model ( disregard these just for the trigger alone they are like a valve if you pull the trigger slowly you let the air out slowly)

what ever you decide pellet choice or finding the pellets it likes is one of the first tasks.... when you find a pellet it likes try to buy more of the same lot if possible.
    I have had good luck with the crosman primiers bought in the large brown cardboard boxes and JSB match dome pellets in both 17 and 22 cal.
    I even have a little daisy 953 i picked up at a yard sale. it has a rifled barrel is actually pretty accurate for 4 pumps with some light wad cutters i have.

just one upgrade of the many for the 397/92 http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog...supersear.html
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-03-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Mold
    In our house we have 3 Daisey Single Pump air rifles, one Avanti type that the Cadet Corps use in Canada, and 2 similar ones but not quite as good.
    Our problem up here was when the Canadian Gov't changed the gun laws after a shooting in Montreal.
    Canadian Gov't laws say pellet guns have to be under 500 fps, unless you have a PAL license.
    If over 500fps, with a PAL..( Possession, Aquisition License ) pellet guns are treated the same as a .22 rimfire or other High Powered Rifles.
    If you want to buy a pistol, pellet, it too must be under 500 fps.
    If over 500, then you need a PAL-R license..(Restricted), same as a Desert Eagle or Colt 1911.
    So we Canucks have to be happy with under powered pellet guns.
    Flat faced pellets bounce off most targets, but the pointed ones will not bounce. We found that acoustic ceiling tiles will catch and hold a pellet, without going through.
    I made my Grandson's a pellet trap, using 2 layers of 2" Styrospan insulation in it. All pellets will stick into it.
    Targets are held in place with a piano hinge that sticks to magnets mounted on the case edge.
    Now if all the "Nosey Parker " do gooders wouldn't call the cops every time someone uses an AirSoft, BB gun or pellet gun in their own yard....

Thanks for all your good information on these sites.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

A couple of weeks ago MidwayUSA had Ruger Air Hawks refurbished on sale for $49.99. Got one, it's like new and just last night I shot a 5 shot group not quite centered in a 3/4 inch bull that measures .198 center to center.

It not only was a great buy but a super value. The Air Hawk is a close cope to the RWS 34, yes parts interchange.

Sorry to say they are all gone now!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bumthumb View Post
    In our house we have 3 Daisey Single Pump air rifles, one Avanti type that the Cadet Corps use in Canada, and 2 similar ones but not quite as good.
    Our problem up here was when the Canadian Gov't changed the gun laws after a shooting in Montreal.
    Canadian Gov't laws say pellet guns have to be under 500 fps, unless you have a PAL license.
    If over 500fps, with a PAL..( Possession, Aquisition License ) pellet guns are treated the same as a .22 rimfire or other High Powered Rifles.
    If you want to buy a pistol, pellet, it too must be under 500 fps.
    If over 500, then you need a PAL-R license..(Restricted), same as a Desert Eagle or Colt 1911.
    So we Canucks have to be happy with under powered pellet guns.
    Flat faced pellets bounce off most targets, but the pointed ones will not bounce. We found that acoustic ceiling tiles will catch and hold a pellet, without going through.
    I made my Grandson's a pellet trap, using 2 layers of 2" Styrospan insulation in it. All pellets will stick into it.
    Targets are held in place with a piano hinge that sticks to magnets mounted on the case edge.
    Now if all the "Nosey Parker " do gooders wouldn't call the cops every time someone uses an AirSoft, BB gun or pellet gun in their own yard....

Thanks for all your good information on these sites.
    In the case of something like a Sheridan blue streak do they take into account how many pumps it takes? Do they consider the maximum pumps to be the FPS it is judged by? I have been studying for a PAL licence up there. I am pretty familiar with firearms so I have no problem with the written portion for the PAL or restricted licence. The only thing that trips me up are the specific questions on some safety acronym you use there that I am not familiar with. I am Canadian American so it will be interesting to see how I will transfer my own firearms to myself as an American, to a Canadian when I move back. That is if I ever move back. Fell in love with AR's and hunt with them now. I cant do that there unless it is on my own property with a restricted licence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12