MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 50 EX twist rate

Boolit Buddy

50 EX twist rate

Have a 50 Ex (50-110) 1886 Winchester with no discernable rifling. Bore is extremely pitted. Interested in relining it. What would be the optimum twist rate for the 51-320P bullet from Accurate molds. 1800-2000 fps velocity range.
    Rick

Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, I think I'd go with something in the 1:22" range, so that it'd take heavier bullets up to about 550 gr., just in case I ever wanted to shoot them. Double check that twist rate though, 'cause I'm just going from memory, and my CRS disease makes that a bit iffy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply. The only twist rate that TJ's Liners offers is a 1-20. Always better to overspin the bullet. The other way doesn't work.
    Rick
    PS That CRS is awful rampant now a days.

Banned

1-20 should stabilize boolits down to about 250grs or so just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    1-20 should stabilize boolits down to about 250grs or so just fine.
    This has not been my experience ,I had a Amie Sports 56-50 Spencer that had a 1 in 20 twist rate and with 350gr bullets you could not hit the side of the barn from the inside,with 450gr bullets it was a tack driver at low velocity so it was not the barrel.I would not go quicker than a 1 in 30 twist rate if I was to go for the lighter bullets ,even then it is much faster than Winchester used for this calibre and those old rifles shoot OK

Boolit Master

The original twist for the 50 EX was 1 in 56". I have seen one as slow as 1 in 60". Later ones were 1 in 48. The 50-100-450 started with 1 in 48" and I think the later ones were 1 in 36". The bullet nose for the 86 has a special shape so it will go through the loading gate. Green Mountain has an octagon blank for the 50 EX with the 1 in 56" twist, http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/wl86-50...ction-express/

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the referral in regards to the Green Mountain barrels. Considering buying one of their round 1886 blanks and having it turned down, to be used as a liner. This is one way I could have a bore with a twist rate that would approximate the original barrel.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Thanks for the referral in regards to the Green Mountain barrels. Considering buying one of their round 1886 blanks and having it turned down, to be used as a liner. This is one way I could have a bore with a twist rate that would approximate the original barrel.
    Rick
    Probably be easier to just replace the barrel. There are a few places that can do the lettering to make it look original.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Another advantage of that slow twist is you can use soft mixes in your boolits and still push them to reasonable velocity. 50-50 can get moving right along in a slow twist (1-40 and slower) and when it thwaps into soft critters it wacks with extreme authority.
    Short fat boolits just do not need a lot of rotational movement to remain stable.

Thank you Mr. Taylor for that link. I had not seen that barrel option as I am looking into a caliber 50 lever rifle built on a 86 (jap) receiver.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Another advantage of that slow twist is you can use soft mixes in your boolits and still push them to reasonable velocity. 50-50 can get moving right along in a slow twist (1-40 and slower) and when it thwaps into soft critters it wacks with extreme authority.
    Short fat boolits just do not need a lot of rotational movement to remain stable.

Thank you Mr. Taylor for that link. I had not seen that barrel option as I am looking into a caliber 50 lever rifle built on a 86 (jap) receiver.
    Mike in Peru
    If you go with the 50 Alaskan you might get by without altering any of the action parts except the carrier. The 50 EX and 50-100-450 will need some action work to get them to feed and also to be able to get the ammo into the mag tube. The later 86s and 71 have a threaded mag tube which calls for some opening of the loading gate. Also the carrier needs to be opened up a bit because the cartridge is a little fatter than the 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Mr. Taylor
    Thank you for that information. I have decided on the 50 Alaskan simple due to the availability of brass. Already have that and dies and a couple 50-70 molds. The real sway was reading about the easier conversion of the 50-Alaskan. Probably will never get shot by me at the "elephant stomper power" but a 450 grainer at 1350-1500fps would have to be a good cruncher on any critter I will ever see.
    Was looking at a rebore... but a new caliber 50 barrel would leave the original intact for a future simple return to original if a son decides to go back to
    45-70. Thank you again !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.