Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: AC question

Boolit Master

AC question

Our current house has one of those big air conditioning units that sit outside the house. Are there any filters in these units that normally require replacing or cleaning?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    No filters that I know of but a once a year hosing from the back side out will keep the condenser fins clean and keep the performance.

You can find commercial a/c condenser cleaning solutions at your nearest home improvement store, just follow their directions.
    Last edited by dagger dog; 06-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Buddy
    There are two main types of air conditioners commonly found in residential applications. "Split systems" are the most common. They have a "condenser" that sits outside. It is connected to the air handler and evaporator inside the house with two copper pipes. The air handler WILL have a filter in the duct carrying the incoming air. This filter may be in the "return air grille" (less common) or in the air handler / furnace itself (more common). The other type is a "package unit". This type of system has the condenser, air handler, and evaporator in a single cabinet. These are most commonly used in commercial applications, but are sometimes used in mobile homes. A "package unit" will be connected to the occupied space with ductwork to carry the conditioned air. A package unit will also have air filters in the air stream coming from the occupied space. So the short answer to your question is yes, there are air filters that need changing and / or cleaning. Where they are located is the $64 question. If you can get the make / model numbers off the unit's nameplate. I will be happy to help you determine what kind of unit you have and where the filters may be located. Please pm me so I can give your question the attention it needs.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! PM sent
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

A helpful tip. If the cooling fins on the outside unit get bent over from something or some kid mashing them down to see what happens, they can be straightened out. Use a new wire brush and gently comb the fins back out. It is like brushing tangled hair (not that I have hair to tangle anymore).

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    fin combs are made to fit the various spaces between the fins, sort of like threads per inch. find the right comb and go slowly. As someone already posted a wire brush can be used. Just make sure it's a brand new brush, if it's broomed out it won't work. there is one company that makes their condensers with a serpentine wrap around the coils, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company. Those you can't use the fin combs, only the spray coil cleaner.