WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 7.62X39 Sort Of

Boolit Buddy

7.62X39 Sort Of

Gentlemen:

Range report. I have a 1909 Argie that I got as a barreled action. The old barrel went first. It now has a 30 Kern barrel on it. This is a blown out 7.62X39. It is in an aftermarket wood stock. I read the 7.62X39 sticky and got the Lee 155 mould. The chamber neck is very tight so I turned the case necks to .010". I sized the boolits .312. The neck fit in the chamber is tight, and the bolt cams the round in when it closes. Next time I will size the boolits .311". I loaded 14.6 gr of WC 820 surp. This is a Lee 1.0 dipper. I zeroed at 100 yds. It is a real joy to shoot. It is more like shooting a rimfire rifle. With some work it will shoot well enough to kill iron chickens at 200M. For a rifle made out of "stuff" I just had laying around, it has turned out to be a real nice rifle. It would be very good for teaching kids on their first big rifle.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck Ca.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreytooker View Post
    Gentlemen:

For a rifle made out of "stuff" I just had laying around, it has turned out to be a real nice rifle. It would be very good for teaching kids on their first big rifle.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck Ca.
    You know, you just got me going! I have 2 7.65s and I read your post and decided one will become a 7.62X39. It isn't in very good shape cosmetically but functionally it is great. I'm currently building a 7.62X39 on a Mauser 93 action for my grandson (he's 12 and interested in shooting) with a .308 barrel, plastic stock, and a low powered scope will sit on it too. Changed it to cock on opening and it should be a good light 30-30 class gun for him. BUT now I'll build one for me on the Argentine! G-OOOO-D idea you have!
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    You know, you just got me going! I have 2 7.65s and I read your post and decided one will become a 7.62X39. It isn't in very good shape cosmetically but functionally it is great. I'm currently building a 7.62X39 on a Mauser 93 action for my grandson (he's 12 and interested in shooting) with a .308 barrel, plastic stock, and a low powered scope will sit on it too. Changed it to cock on opening and it should be a good light 30-30 class gun for him. BUT now I'll build one for me on the Argentine! G-OOOO-D idea you have!
    Badger:
    The Mauser boltface need not be modified for the 7.62X39. You you will have to single load, but the Mauser long extractor extracts the case. I only use mine to plink iron chickens and such, so single load is fine for me.

My only remaining 7.65 is a 91 sporter by Montgomery Wards ca 1960. Fine boolit rifle. The other 7.65 action became a 7X57. The barrel is a 1908 Brazilian carbine replacement barrel.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck Ca.

Boolit Master

I used a 1903 Turk Action with a 20" Wilson 7.62x39 barrel (308 bore) that shoots like a house of fire. I did a few modifications to make it feed and and extract easily. First I bought a feed kit from Brownells that gave me a small follower and new spring for the magazine and a delrin spacer for the mag well. This allows the five bullets to feed in a straight line without all the excess room in the magazine area for them to slide around in under recoil. I then rummaged around in my parts bag and found a brand new extractor that would slip over the smaller x39 case head and hold it there just like it was a 8x57 case head. I then found that the Mauser original ejector would pop out the spent x39 cases easily if I pulled the bolt to the rear sharply after firing.

So now I have a 5 shot 7.62x39 carbine that feeds and extracts with no issues. The rifle handles 120-180gr bullets without a hitch and my middle son loves to shoot HIS rifle that Dad built for him.

Boolit Buddy
    So now I have a 5 shot 7.62x39 carbine that feeds and extracts with no issues. The rifle handles 120-180gr bullets without a hitch and my middle son loves to shoot HIS rifle that Dad built for him.[/QUOTE]

Bruce:

If I read correctly the feed kit from Brownells is all one needs, to make a Mauser feed 7.62X39 from the magazine? My present extractor extracts the cases OK.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck Ca.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I used a 1903 Turk Action with a 20" Wilson 7.62x39 barrel (308 bore) that shoots like a house of fire. I did a few modifications to make it feed and and extract easily. First I bought a feed kit from Brownells that gave me a small follower and new spring for the magazine and a delrin spacer for the mag well. This allows the five bullets to feed in a straight line without all the excess room in the magazine area for them to slide around in under recoil. I then rummaged around in my parts bag and found a brand new extractor that would slip over the smaller x39 case head and hold it there just like it was a 8x57 case head. I then found that the Mauser original ejector would pop out the spent x39 cases easily if I pulled the bolt to the rear sharply after firing.

So now I have a 5 shot 7.62x39 carbine that feeds and extracts with no issues. The rifle handles 120-180gr bullets without a hitch and my middle son loves to shoot HIS rifle that Dad built for him.
    Bruce:

I contacted Brownells this morning about the magazine feed kit. By my discription they could not find one. Do you have anymore information on the kit like vendor or part number? If you do I can get back to Brownells and order one. I am quite pleased to find they make a conversion kit for the magazine.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Creek Ca.

Boolit Master

here is a link to a small ring mag feed kit at numrich

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    here is a link to a small ring mag feed kit at numrich

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

buy not for the single stack '91....
    but the parts could be modified, and for 17 bucks...might be a deal.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Manleyjt provided you thhe right link. I bought so much from Brownells and Numrich before I deployed to Iraq, I'd forgotten where I got it from.

I had to file some of the Delrin spacer block's sides to fit it into the magazine area. Now its a tight fit and works fine.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Manleyjt provided you thhe right link. I bought so much from Brownells and Numrich before I deployed to Iraq, I'd forgotten where I got it from.

I had to file some of the Delrin spacer block's sides to fit it into the magazine area. Now its a tight fit and works fine.

Bruce
    Bruce when Brownells was a no show, I Googled and ended up with Numerich. I got a mag kit for a 98 as mine is 1909 Argie. You put me on the track, as I did not know they had mag kits for Mausers.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck Ca.