MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Bear hunters take a look

Bear hunters take a look

This is a long read but worth it if you bear hunt. Some won't like the bait method but some will. I plan on having a couple blocks before October.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1197261

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    This is a long read but worth it if you bear hunt. Some won't like the bait method but some will. I plan on having a couple blocks before October.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1197261
    I would add a little something to the article that I had to teach to our local wildlife agent trying to trap a particularly smart and potentially dangerous bear. The bear learned how to pull the donuts and sweet stuff out of the trap without tripping the trap and did it several times. After a week of bait stealing, The lady who lived in the house the bear had tried to enter asked me for help which did not please the officer's ego. He left the trap for me after saying the bear was untrapable. I brought in a can of dry cat food which is almost all protein and spread it over the bottom of the trap along with the last donuts. The bear couldn't resist all that protein until he got every little bit. Had him in six hours for pick up by the officer. He didn't see the humor when I said that bear was smarter than the average Democrat in the legislature so needed a conservative to catch him.

Moderator Emeritus

A couple of the best baiting tips I heard were to nail a polished shiny red apple where the boar had to extend his forearm to get at it, giving you a shoulder free arrow shot to the ribs. Second was to heat 1/2 lb cheap bacon and cooking oil and honey in an old coffee can until it smoked up the whole valley you were in. That will get them coming to your regular bait if they were not before.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 06-23-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: forgot the honey
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Where do you get cheap bacon?

Moderator Emeritus

Cheap bacon means fatty bacon, priced the cheapest of whatever exorbitant prices the grocery store can getaway with. OTOH, I just bought 1/2 hog for $2.29 cut, wrapped and cured.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have heard of a honey burn as well never tried it though
    also a beaver carcass hung in a gunny sac in a tree is supposed have similar results
    you can also position your bait station so the bear when at site is in the position you want it in
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

The honey burn is for when you do not have an established bait site. As it has been explained to me by successful friends who hunt ID a lot, a boar wants two things when he awakes. Something rotten to clean out his system and get it going again and sex. Females want food to put weight back on and get ready for pregnancy. An established bait site gets them returning to look for where they found food in the spring before. A non established site is best salted, so to speak with fat and honey with the smoke carrying the odors. You can smell them for 1&1/2 miles and the bear can for at minimum 5x that.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 06-25-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Second was to heat 1/2 lb cheap bacon and cooking oil and honey in an old coffee can until it smoked up the whole valley you were in. That will get them coming to your regular bait if they were not before.
    Worked for my dad, sans honey, but we had seen prior activity.

Boolit Master

Dirty baby diapers are a favorite with the bear guides in my NH area. I know yuk!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Dirty baby diapers are a favorite with the bear guides in my NH area. I know yuk!!!!
    Baiting is illegal here. Wonder if that counts?

That's good info if it's legal where you hunt, but it will get you arrested in Colorado, where I live and hunt. I'll stay on the outside of the bars, thanks!

Banned

There are places where you will never see a bear in a lifetime without bait. In heavy country there is no "spot and stalk." Some places let you use dogs but no bait. So you watch an apple tree that is legal but you can't put out an apple. You can hunt geese in a grain field but get a ticket if you spill some. Does not make much sense.
    Many states do not allow baiting deer but a food plot is legal. Must be different. Make a food plot and build a house on stilts, electric, coffee maker, fridge full of beer and a rifle rest.

Boolit Buddy
    The honey burn works. BTDT.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    My kids make lots of these! Let me know where to send them and you will have a 1-2 years supply sent to your address on a frequent basis.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    There are places where you will never see a bear in a lifetime without bait. In heavy country there is no "spot and stalk." Some places let you use dogs but no bait. So you watch an apple tree that is legal but you can't put out an apple. You can hunt geese in a grain field but get a ticket if you spill some. Does not make much sense.
    Many states do not allow baiting deer but a food plot is legal. Must be different. Make a food plot and build a house on stilts, electric, coffee maker, fridge full of beer and a rifle rest.
    Attachment 143605

Boolit Master
    So, is burning your morning bacon in oil, with honey considered baiting? I am a bad cook....