MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lee #4 Buckshot mold help

Boolit Master

Lee #4 Buckshot mold help

Fellers I`ve melted lead & alloys for a while now & got purty good results & a lot better since joining

But I`ve met my match , This buckshot mold that casts 3 balls at the time is driving my patience to the outer edge.
    I`ve done everything I know to do to it except beagle it for venting. Here goes , I started with my regular iso alloy, added 2 more % tin,
    tried my NOE358429 mold with alloy GOOD Boolits , no buckshot joy!!
    Now I`ve ran the gauntlet of mold temps & alloy temps methodically & patiently no buckshot joy!!!

CHANGED to some old hard GOOD alloy from 1980s wheel weights, again PERFECT 358429s no buckshot joy even after runnin the mold/alloy temp gauntlet.I`m fearing I mite warp this mold if I go higher. I went to 900f & called it quits , set the mold to the side, cut the pot off went in the house ,drank some ice water!

The mold WILL NOT FILL ALL 3 OF THE CAVITYS, I get the top ball everytime , bottom & middle practically none of the time.
    My next session I`ll clean this mold AGAIN (sprayed it with that mold release stuff) , figured what the hey. Then I`ll beagle it to help venting as the mating faces of this mold seems smoother than any I`ve ever received from Lee.

I`m open to suggestions , questions, even laughing at me , I just need some #4 buckshot from this mold.

Addition: mold has been heat cycled to 375 10 times & 3 attempted casting sessions.

TIA

GP100man
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    here's the only help i'm aware of..........

http://buckshotmold.com/

Boolit Master
    I use one of the sharp shooter molds that cast #4 and double 00 buck shot.
    Same as the link above.
    To make this mold work the mold has to be very hot.
    I warm the mold with a propane torch to a high temperature.
    Once the mold is hot it will cast good buck shot.
    I wear a pair of thick heavy duty welding gloves when casting with this mold.

Boolit Master

I've heard those buckshot molds want to be run hotter than your boolit molds. I've only used the sharpshooter mold. When I'm getting good casts, the wood handles are starting to smolder a bit.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I've found pressure casting works best for my 00 Lee mold.

Boolit Master

GP100man,

Scrub the spray on mold release out of the mold; all this did for me was make things worse. I have several buckshot molds; they need to run hot, I mean "hot". Secondly, I smoke the cavities real well with a candle. I get near perfect buckshot and all the cavities fill completely. Set your mold on the furnace and go get a cup of coffee, leave it on for about 30 minutes, come back and it should be ready. BTW, casting #4 buckshot drives me crazy. Good luck.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Faster , Faster , Faster! Like you said run hot and at warp speed! Alot of the time I cut the sprue before it hardened. Made mine into a 30 cavity and the problems went away it needs volume threw it and heat. There is a lot of mold there to keep hot so you got to go fast and hot. Best of luck to ya.

Boolit Master

Ok fellers I got it cleaned up 1 more time ,Im either gonna cast some buckshot or burn this mold up the Wknd.

Cold mold ,or too cool , I thought I was reading the lead rite but just couldn't bring myself to get it that hot !!
    GP100man