Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found some new ingot moulds at Wally World

I love when threads like this come back up. It gives me some perspective on how my setup has changed over the last couple of years. At the time I wrote, I had a limited supply of "tools." Fast forward to a week ago- I drove 2k miles to pick up $6500 worth of casting equipment. Talk about getting sucked in.

Now I get to find out if it is worth it.

If it does, days that I have ingots on hand (other than the 125-230 grain ones) may be few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorTN View Post
    Yammerschooner,

If that Do-all mold is the strap weight one, it makes nice 1# ingots that cool quickly. That's how I got started casting boolits.

They're 1" x1/2" by 12" or so and stack nicely into milk crates. I have two and clamp a pair of vise-grips onto them for handles.

For strap-weights, you need stick-on weights or other soft lead. WW are too brittle.

As tar as the ingots, I whack'em with a hatchet and then snap then into thirds to fit into my pot.

good luck, TM
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post

Not any more, I'm afraid. I checked, and the price is now $13.99 + $8 shipping. Yard saes, here I come!

cast Iron cornbread molds

$5.99 #63530--www.agrisupply.com

1-800-345-0169

this is where Im got mine. they gotta lot of good stuff in their catalog

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

cast iron cornbread moulds--$5.99 www.agrisupply.com #63530 1-800-345-0169

gitche a catalog, gotta lot of good stuff.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

I've been using a Pampered Chef mini loaf pan for several years now. They are about 4-5lbs depending on how much I fill them. Its a 4 banger and works well.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Master

I went to my local Wally World just to look for mini loaf pans. It would seem that my local store doesn't carry mini loaf pans or anything that would be suited for ingot molds. I even ask one of the employee's in the department if they had mini loaf pans her first response was to look at me like a cow with a bastard calf. I have the corn bread pans that look like ears of corn. I thought it would be good to use and found out that they don't stack.

Boolit Mold

corn cob's

just a little note -- i have three corn cob type moulds two cast iron and one aluminum all found at a garage sell $3 dollars for all use them for soft lead about 1 1/2 pounds each... one pie shaped pan $ 2 ..makes 7 ingots for cleaned WW molds about 3 1/2 lbs @ and two aluminun, kinda star shaped one"s for Lynotype about 1 pound @ from letter press type they all fall out when cooled . just to keep my alloy's seperate There still out there but have to look and can get them for a little denero at times ...

( THE CAT )

In Remembrance

I bought my cast iron corn molds at Walls discount in Elk City, Ok. for 3.95 , it was about 1 1/2 years ago. I store the ingots in a wooden crate with rope handles, but I can't move it when full. DALE

some times you can find a everware corn bread pan that is round and makes 8 nice 3 lb ingots shaped like a piece of pie got mine at a yard sale for 1 dollar
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Boolit Grand Master

The OLD corn ear molds are high dollar collector items. If ya find one for cheap, don't use it for lead. Evilbay it and use the funds to buy Lyman Alum ingot molds w/handles.
    Ingot molds are an investment that can always be sold later at a profit. In the meantime you get stack-able ingots in a really convenient size. Watch for Midway to put them on sale.
    BTW Milk crates will contain 750 1 lb ingots. Just don't try to move it.
    If the crate is full to the right level, you can stack another on top. That means in 13"X13" of floor space you can safely store (contain) 1500 lbs of lead.
    I have several of the old metal and wire crates (1950s) and have well over a ton of (same alloy) ingots in the same 13" footprint.

The best molds I have found are just a 3" channel iron cut to 4"-5" long. Wld a piece of palte or angle iron on the ends & you get a great ingot mold. Of course having access to a welder is key, but there are a lot of guys making them.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The OLD corn ear molds are high dollar collector items. If ya find one for cheap, don't use it for lead. Evilbay it and use the funds to buy Lyman Alum ingot molds w/handles.
    Ingot molds are an investment that can always be sold later at a profit. In the meantime you get stack-able ingots in a really convenient size. Watch for Midway to put them on sale.
    BTW Milk crates will contain 750 1 lb ingots. Just don't try to move it.
    If the crate is full to the right level, you can stack another on top. That means in 13"X13" of floor space you can safely store (contain) 1500 lbs of lead.
    I have several of the old metal and wire crates (1950s) and have well over a ton of (same alloy) ingots in the same 13" footprint.
    Won't work for me - I don't need any 13X13 holes in the floor of my casting shed!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    I probably paid too much for these cast iron muffin pans, but when I saw them, I thought "Stackable and easy to use" so I got two of them.. Yep, Lodge.. They can make an up to about 3 pound ingot, I filled them about 2/3 full and was happy with the size of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ingot.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    The best molds I have found are just a 3" channel iron cut to 4"-5" long. Wld a piece of palte or angle iron on the ends & you get a great ingot mold. Of course having access to a welder is key, but there are a lot of guys making them.
    I'm a decent welder, but i can't picture how the mold looks. Do you have a picture?

Boolit Man
    Looks like this:

http://www.abymc.com/Articles/Gallery/Justin_L002c.jpg

I just wish there was a way to make the angle iron about a 100 degree angle, then make the sides a 70 degree angle, to make a trapezoid that would fall out of the mold easier.

Boolit Master
    Steel185:

Here is the best designed ingot mould I have ever used ! I have six of these five-pounders made by jawjaboy.

BEAUTIFUL welds !

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

I guess I'm luckier than most of you guys, I have about 15+ 4cav moulds from most of the big mold makers. I just sort of collected them at garage sales and from some of the old guys at the ranges I used to shoot at before they were closed down. I separate alloys in the different branded ingot molds. And I buy my own Rubber maid containers. And MY WIFE knows better than to ask me to go to wally world or any like place. NAH, NAH NAH.

Sorry had to throw in the nahs. I guess it sounds like I'm bragging. But I ain't. Just EXTREMELY LUCKY in my WIFE'S choice of a husband. And in finding ingot molds.

Now if it would only work with the lottery.

Boolit Bub
    Amazing what we can think of for ideas! I too use old muffin tins but find the roung ingots a tad large for my Lee pot. Have been looking for something different and decidied to try some "small" muffin cups (tinfoil type) but after reading this post I have a dozen different options...
    Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You.
    (Psa 33:22)
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -John Adams

Boolit Bub

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Buckshot, I know what you mean about those people who are easily dazzled by bright shiney things. Why is it, when a woman goes through the door of a store, they will come to a dead stop, creating a massive crash of people behind them? Can't they step to the side, out of the traffic flow? They are most likely the same one poking down the middle of an aisle with a shopping cart, blocking all passage to others. Why, oh WHY, do they do this!!!????? Brainless, or rude? You chose.

They Walk ..... Just like they "DRIVE" !!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast