Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found some new ingot moulds at Wally World

Super Moderator

Found some new ingot moulds at Wally World

.........Having been married lo these past 30 years (come December), I know the signals. If Donna sticks her head in the garage and says, "I'm going to so and so" that means it's okay for me to NOT go. If on the other hand she says, "I'm going to 'someplace', and would you like to go?" that means I am supposed to go with her.

I heartily dislike the place and would only go there to buy Win Dynapoint 22RF ammo. So anyway there I am, schlepping along behind her trying to not get bashed into by someone's cart, while they're trying to control 3-4 kids, or run into someone who has stopped, dazzled by something on a shelf, right there in the middle of the isle.

While stopped for some minor traffic congestion I glance around and lo and behold my eyeballs land on this display of cooking stuff.

Mini-loaf pans. I thought these things looked really great, so I was fighting to seperate 2 out of the nested stack ($5.93 ea). Donna says, "Ingots?"

Bless her heart, she just KNEW I wasn't going to be baking. While these are just a tad larger then perfection, perfection is rarely found at Wally World but I figured they'd do. I think they'll prolly drop a 3.5 to 4 lb block. Since I got two of'em and they will cast 8 apiece I can just fill each cavity only half full and that should be just fine.

I won't discard my round muffin tins, but these will stack better, and being more square will utilize space in the containers I store them in.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Cast Hunter

Those really look like the ticket. I've used a round muffin tin for years, but really don't like round ingots. I may have to make a trip to Wally's.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Buckshot, I know what you mean about those people who are easily dazzled by bright shiney things. Why is it, when a woman goes through the door of a store, they will come to a dead stop, creating a massive crash of people behind them? Can't they step to the side, out of the traffic flow? They are most likely the same one poking down the middle of an aisle with a shopping cart, blocking all passage to others. Why, oh WHY, do they do this!!!????? Brainless, or rude? You chose.

Cast Boolits Owner

Who defines perfection?

Hey Buckshot. I had the same idea too. The little round muffins worked great so I thought that bigger was better for stacking and mixing so I found a pretty nice bread pan too!
    So I cast a few "bricks" and decide they are a lot easier to stack but are kinda heavy...
    Then realize they don't fit the old lee bottom pour to well anymore cause they are kinda big....

Must be the pan size! Maybe I should downsize a little.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    My wife thought they would be great, I tried them but they came apart within a few uses, the lead soldered itself to the coating inside them, they made nice ingots til they died tho

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

I have been looking at the miniature bread pans for a long time, wondering how they would work as ingot molds. I tried the Wal*Mart® muffin pans and could not get the ingots out. Let us know how they work.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Leave all muffin or bread pans out in the rain a few days, they will rust and the ingots will fall out. I ruined a 12 muffin pan on the first use because I forgot to let it rust.

David

What's rain?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    Leave them out in the rain for a few days? That might take ten years here.
    I had the same experience as others with the lead soldering itself to the coated pans, but found they make great bees wax loaves.

Boolit Master
    Buckshot, in order to keep the peace do not under any circumstances even consider using tupperware from the wife's inner sanctum (aka the kitchen). I have been relegated to using rubber maid tubs for my cases, boolits and other stuff. Funny thing though, my rubber maid stuff is in better shape and way older than some of her tupperware. Frank

Boolit Master

Buy your wife new tupperware or other containers and you take the old ones. I don't do that I use the plastic containers/tubs that margerine, cottage cheese and yogert come in. I used to use the Danish cookie tins too, but the doctor stopped that.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    Ed, tupperware on occasion does take back and replace old and damaged tupperware.
    My wife swapped out some old items. Yeah and I love the danish cookies too. Frank

I have used the bakery pans that No. 1 showed. By propping up one end of the pan, you can make triangular ingots in the "corners". They don't stack very well, but they do fit into the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Wills & Ury

If it don't rain, do it the old way. Piss on it!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Talking

Ingots too big???? Hell, you don't need smaller ingots.... You NEED a bigger pot. Never have had the problem with the turkey frier and 50 lb pot.
    Gus

Boolit Buddy
    "rain" is alot like "snow" only wetter.
    rain is the reason why im only working 2.5 days a week . we are logging on the north side of Big Mountain ,one of the wettest places in the entire state . I had thought for sure my camp trailer and logging equiment had floated away over the weekend. Instead everything had sunk out of sight in the mud . at least there is no fire danger , i much prefere cold and wet vs hot and dry

Boolit Master

Rick....I've been looking at them for a long time and wondering if they'd hold up. Looks like they're just the right size for my use. These Lyman moulds are just too darn dinky to work with. Takes a couple dozen to make a pot full.

I'd really like to have a 100 ounce mould like they make silver ingots with but I haven't ever found one.

We have a kind of unique bread mould made loacally here in KY I guess as I've never seen then anywhere else. Makes a 3/4 round stick about 8-10" long. I use one for an ingot mould and it works all right but I'd prefer something larger. Casts about 10 saticks as well as I recall.

Let us know how they turn out and i'll jump on the bandwagon if they do okay./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46
    Ed, tupperware on occasion does take back and replace old and damaged tupperware.
    My wife swapped out some old items. Yeah and I love the danish cookies too. Frank
    I've had pretty good luck with the rectangular shaped "Gladware" type throw away plastic containers for storing bullets and cases, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Ingot Molds

They used to make, and probably still do make, but haven't seen for a long time, cast iron corn bread muffin molds that look like corn cobs. Think they would probably cast about a 3- 3 1/2 lb. or so. Like a lot of others, am tired of the round muffin tin, and mine is all bent up anywho. If I run into one of the old corn cob types in cast iron at a garage sale think I will pick it up and give it a try.
    1Shirt

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast