RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Moderator Emeritus

Ice Road Truckers first season was on the Canadian true ice roads into the boonies. Driving down rivers, crossing large lakes... then they went to the haul road and only had a few trips on ice. One was moving a drilling rig on the sea ice. http://www.history.com/shows/ice-roa...sodes/season-1

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Likely had to do with costs and transportation of the filming crews and all their stuff.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Was fun to watch The Ice Road other then the big idiot Hugh, met him at a NASCAR race, just as bullheaded there also.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

In Remembrance
    I watched way more of the canadian ice road show than I ever did the one about Alaska.
    After watching the goat rope they put on filming the show here, I have serious doubts about how real the reality was on the Canadian show.
    We have real ice roads here too, but those guys were never on them, as far as them moving a drill rig on the ice road, the oilfield ice roads are private roads, nO FILM CREW ALLOWED past security. I doubt seriously the movie stars had the right creds to run the ice roads. The over water scenes they shot were props built and shot over here on a local lake, which is a good size pond.
    Any driver than can manage to get up in a truck can manage an ice road, it is about some of the easiest driving their is, where the Canadians movie stars had trouble was what they were calling the ice road, which is the haul road. They were not used to ice on mountain roads at all, which makes me wonder just how much actual trucking those guys did in Canada.

Boolit Grand Master

It's all drama to feed the masses. So are all the rest of the so called "Reality" shows. No one would watch real "reality".
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Way, way back between 1974 and 1976 I worked in heating company warehouse. - Started off as the helper. My supervisor got "let go" after 3 months, they then hired an alcoholic buddy to be supervisor. He got six months for drunk driving and they did not replace him. I did shipping, receiving, ordering, and maintained inventory for over a year all by myself - for no increase in pay. In December I gave my notice and went into contracting aluminium siding and soffit.
    Stopped at the warehouse to visit and discovered there were 3 folks there doing the job I did all by myself before.
    And I discovered that rather than $40.00 before taxes and deductions a day I could be taking home $150 in my pocket.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Here is my rant on the job market and employers. Employers want you to sacrifice and put in 110% all them time, but not when it comes to pay. They want 1950s era work ethic on a 1950s salary. It is hard to break your back for someone and put in the extra time if you know you are not appreciated, makes little sense to me.

Boolit Master
    In another 30 or 40 years, America's standard of living will be equal to that of the 3rd world countries where corporate America is sending all the middle class American jobs. More likely our economy will collapse before then, due to the disappearance of the middle class consumer's purchasing power.

Big business is putting zero value on the American worker. By sending the jobs that American consumers depend on to buy new cars, refrigerators, TVs, clothing, home improvement goods, and associated DIY tooling, they (corporate America) are shooting themselves in the foot. They are actually rendering their biggest consumer market incapable of buying the products that they are now paying the Mexican and Chinese workers to make for them. And, because the Mexican and Chinese workers are being paid only $2.00 per hr., they can't afford to buy the products that they are making.

They are killing the economy and standard of living of the greatest and most envied Country the world has ever seen.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I'm glad I don't have a TV.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In Remembrance
    Smokey, sure can't argue with that, but at the same time the consumers (WE) are part to blame.

Most folks will but foreign made to save a penny, when something better is right here. How many will order off the internet, to save a penny, instead of backing a local business, or automatically looks first for something at wally world?

Boolit Master

I tried some REALTREE suspenders the other day. They broke, right next to the MADE in USA tag. Useless ****. Chinee probly aint better, just sayin.
    I shop on the internet as it is over a hour drive to any real store. Why spend the time and gas when I get it cheaper or same price dropped at my door?
    As for quitting the job, I hope it works out for you. I walked away from about $70k per over a number of building issues. If I could go back, I would not do that again.
    good luck

Boolit Grand Master

In my neck of the woods Walmart has already driven all the local stores out of business. You either follow the crowd or buy on line.
    Main street used to offer competition among its stores which kept prices good. Right now WM has a program ( savings catcher )to pay you back if they find an item sold cheaper. I just bought most of a weeks groceries with my paid back savings.
    Reality is their the only game left in town. The fact that I really save with their initial prices, and again if they aren't the cheapest is not to be sneered at.
    I know that eventually they will go up in prices, but if they do it will open the door to another local supplier.
    I shopped local until there were no locals to shop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Smokey, sure can't argue with that, but at the same time the consumers (WE) are part to blame.

Most folks will but foreign made to save a penny, when something better is right here. How many will order off the internet, to save a penny, instead of backing a local business, or automatically looks first for something at wally world?
    We do a lot of our shopping on Amazon. Usually, down below the item description is part numbers and Country of origin of the part. If it says China, I keep shopping. If I can't find what I want "made in U.S.A., then I look for the product made in any other Country than China. If all else fails I buy the Chinese made product. Used to shop at the local hardware store instead of Home Depot until I found out the local hardware is owned by the parent company of Do-It Center.

I also have, several times, when I couldn't afford the American made product, decided that I could wait and save more money for the American product or get along without the product completely. We make a very real effort to keep our money first in town, and second in the U.S.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Several years ago Cabelas purchased a local golf course and built a great store.

Lots of room for 18 wheelers to sleep overnight safely in their parking area.

As usual lots of quality products and qualified staff that can be relied upon to answer almost every question you can ask.

Now they have sold acreage and a Wal Mart Super Store has a new home.

This should be very interesting to see how things progress.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Loyalty?? I always get a chuckle when I hear that. Companies are always talking about how having Loyal employes is important to them.
    That is until they actually find some. Then as soon as they get into their mid 40's and their insurance premiums go up.

Ummm, we are restructuring and your position has been eliminated. Funny how its almost always the middle aged guys who's jobs got eliminated. Then a month latter they have a young cheap guy doing the same job. Just with a different title.( so as to not get sued for age discrimination)
    Loyalty? Sure until some manager has a quarterly bonus on the line.

Myself I have been pretty lucky with that. I have been able to smell them out in advance.
    They usually have a consultant come in and do a job study. As soon as you see that.
    Start looking, Moma always said its 10 times easier to find a job if you have a job.
    Seems to work, I have had steady employment since 13 years old.
    This. No matter what part of the plant you work in- the suite or the pit.
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Master

Ascast, buy some Perry suspenders ! www.perrysuspenders.com

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the Perry suspenders. Wore them for over 20 years. I still have 4 colors, and some are over 10 years old. They out lasted my belts and pants.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123