Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ditch the 22-250 for 223?

Boolit Master
    I once sold a SAKO in 222, in fact I sold it twice. Traded it, got it back and sold it again. It had the L46 action. I have never even seen another. One of my biggest regrets. If I ever get to own a Kimber you will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO: keep both if you can. I like to shoot cast boolits in my .222 boltguns (Kimber,Sako,) but I always wanted an AR15. My solution was to build up a .222 AR15 (barrel change only)...If a rifle is important to you, keep it. If you totally hate it consider selling it. If you can't decide, keep it in the back of the gun rack until you come to your senses and decide that you actually like it. Free advice and worth what you paid for it. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

Well, for me, I have both as well and my 250 is my go to rifle. Yip, I love my ar but it's not my 250. I wuld never be without it myself. But it may be different for you. Go with your gut.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's looks like you will have to make your best choice and live with it . Both sides make sense , I've sold many firearms over the years . Only a few I remember and fewer still do I regret selling . The AR type rifles are built every day and will be for some time to come so you're not up against the wall on this . Kimbers ? I really haven't paid attention to them since production in Oregon stopped .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I once sold a SAKO in 222, in fact I sold it twice. Traded it, got it back and sold it again. It had the L46 action. I have never even seen another. One of my biggest regrets. If I ever get to own a Kimber you will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Kimber is just another rifle. A very nice rifle but still just a rifle. I had one in .338 Federal. It kicked harder than a .338 magnum. No thanks !! Traded it for a dirt bike, no regrets. LOL

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I moved on from the 22-250 because of the 223. I traded my Ruger #1 in 22-250 for a Sako Forester .243 which I had rebarreled with a 1:9 twist Bertlein barrel and bumped it up to a 243 AI.

There is now a clear step between my 223 and my next up varmint gun. Each to their own.

rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 06-19-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Kimber is still in the safe, safe from any ill timed decisions to sell at this time. I'm gonna shoot my Remington 700 in 223 a bit more and see how she does stretching her legs a little. With the slower twist rate of the Remmy (1:12 IIRC) I cannot benefit from the low drag bullets available, but should be cast friendly if/when I ever start casting for the 223.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My pal wore the barrel off his old 700 and needed a chuck rifle so I loaned him my Varmint Special chambered in .223 for the summer . At the end of the summer he wanted to buy it , he's found it covers almost as much as the big rifle did . It's been a long time now and he still hasn't rebarreled the 22-250

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

I have a Savage chambered in 22-250. Also Winchester Model 70 chambered in 225 Win and 223 semi-autos. Have shot the bolts less than the semi autos, I guess the reason is the bolts are little less challenging at the 0.5-0.75 MOA at 100yards that they provide. I may shoot them infrequently but I will not get rid of an accurate piece. They will not rust if you keep them lubed. Nice to come back to them when you want to feel the accuracy.

For me I got a Rem 22-250 700 and works for all I want it for and able to do.I reload and cast for it and have not wanted a 223 in a ar .I got a 308 win in semi auto to do all I want. But it is what will work for the one that wants and keep.As for me I do not let go any of what i get and keep them.Each one have its own reason and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

When I go on a three day pdog shoot, I take 4 rifles. 22K Hornet for under 200, a 223 for up to 300, a 22-250 for up to 400, and a 243 for wind and over 400. That said, 223 gets shot the most, and K Hornet shots are the most fun and cheapest. On a good day will shoot up to 300 rounds. Probably 150-175 rounds will be 223's. The rest will be divided according to circumstances. Had one morning is sort of a bowl where shots were a max of 200 yds, and shot over 50 rounds of KHornet for better than 60% kills. A most memorial morning.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

A gun that stays in the safe is only worth what someone will pay for it. I had a good Rem 700 22-250 but the fun ended with the load development. Had one load that would sometimes result in a j-word turning into a gray mist a few yards from the muzzle but even that lost it's charm after awhile. Thought I would take up varmint hunting but I never did. I sold it and passed along a load it liked, never missed it.
    Funny story, I found out during load development this rifle didn't like fore end pressure so I relieved it. New owner modified the stock to re-apply fore end pressure and had a muzzle brake installed a bit off-center. Needless to say it no longer shot the 3/8" groups it shot for me and it wound up back in the used gun rack.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    Or - you could give me a price on the Kimber & see if we can make a deal!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Or - you could give me a price on the Kimber & see if we can make a deal!
    In all fairness, I've had another member offer to buy via PM, so he'd have first dibs, but I'll put you down as second. The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm wanting to turn it into cash for other projects. Every time I pick it up lately it just makes me think of the divorce from my first wife.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Kimber is still in the safe, safe from any ill timed decisions to sell at this time. I'm gonna shoot my Remington 700 in 223 a bit more and see how she does stretching her legs a little. With the slower twist rate of the Remmy (1:12 IIRC) I cannot benefit from the low drag bullets available, but should be cast friendly if/when I ever start casting for the 223.
    Sounds like a candidate for a rebarrel with 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel. Shoot some heavy 75+ grain low drag bullets close to the lands. But I am a fan of heavy bullets in .223/5.56.

Boolit Master
    Personal opinion is if it's a true shooter keep it. If it is picky and stubborn let it roll. I am the same way with the 300 BO as of late, I want to add a RRA to the clan but all my others are shooters or they wouldn't be in the safe.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12