Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditch the 22-250 for 223?

Boolit Grand Master

Ditch the 22-250 for 223?

I've several AR's in 223 and a Remington 700 Varmint in 223 as well as currently building a Varmint style AR. To say I'm invested in 223 would be an understatement. I can't walk in my reloading area without tripping over something 223 related.

Back in my safe resides a Kimber Varmint in 22-250. Beautiful, Accurate, the things we expect out of a classic rifle......but it rarely ever gets shot. I haven't had it out in 2-3 years. It's my only 22-250.

Had a friend make me a fair offer on it in passing. I asked him last week if he was serious about it and he confirmed it.

The proceeds would go towards my "Ultimate AR".....Likely a POF P415. It would be the only way I could afford something like that.

What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I've several AR's in 223 and a Remington 700 Varmint in 223 Back in my safe resides a Kimber Varmint in 22-250. What would you do?
    Well, there are nowhere near the number of Kimbers as opposed to ARs. How is the Kimber holding up, value wise?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

To me, hold the Kimber and move an AR.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

The 22-250 is my favorite cast/jacketed varmint gun.I load it from 22 magnum to full power with wonderful results.ditch the .223 IMHO.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Do you think the AR will mean as much to you in ten or twenty years ? The AR platform is easy to replace but a Kimber from Oregon ... not so much . My Kimber 84 rarely goes to the range but that's because it is on constant varmint alert . There are other rifles to go to the range with but the Kimber is "Semper Accurate"

I guess it breaks down to how good of a friend is he ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any real attachment to this Kimber. I had bought it on a whim when I was going through a divorce 6-7 years ago with the idea of doing more varmint hunting (probably why I don't shoot it much. When I pick it up it reminds me of that time) That never really happened and I've got a family now. I did shoot it a little with my father before he passed but it was just on a range day. I've got many other more sentimental pieces owned by him or that we bought together like my Marlin 1895 GS. He advised me on that one and loaded and sighted it in for me a few years before his passing as he was retired and gave him something to do. That's one that I'll never let go.

I was thinking of consolidating that genre of 22 calibers to 223 Remington as my main thought and perhaps using the funds to buy something that id shoot more. I have a Sako A3 in 25-06 that'll give same levels of accuracy with 75gr VMax bullets that was my fathers that has sentimental value. Not to mention my first rifle, a Ruger M77 tang safety in 243 that, while not as accurate, could still be considered a walking varminter. The Sako with medium heavy barrel, a touch to heavy. But I have Varmint calibers from 22 on up is the point I was trying to convey I guess.

The $$$ for a top tier AR is more than I'm willing to put down and It's not a necessity for sure and the Kimber could continue to collect dust. The funds from the potential sale of the Kimber bring the price down on the POF to about half and is more palatable. I was just kicking the idea around but don't want to kick myself in the butt down the road. Yall are my trusted firearms family so I turn to everyone's opinion.

Sort of like swapping a real gem for a semi-precious stone, say trading an emerald to add another agate to your bag of tumble polished "gems". Why not trade off the surplus of AR-223s and get your ideal one that way?
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master
    I'm generally for consolidating calibers, but I'm generally against selling off hard to replace guns in favor of easy to replace ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Sort of like swapping a real gem for a semi-precious stone, say trading an emerald to add another agate to your bag of tumble polished "gems". Why not trade off the surplus of AR-223s and get your ideal one that way?
    Well I wouldn't call it a surplus. I have my RRA with irons. A cheapie PSA as a loaner/beater. I'm building a Varminter and I have my Sig 716 which would be the last to get rid of. But it's in 308. It gets shot the most followed by my RRA then my loaner which my wife and friends shoot. But I can definitely understand the analogy.

Yall really know how to make someone second guess themselves!

Boolit Master

Over the years I've done a lot of trading, upgrading, and now there isn't one gun that I got rid of that I don't wish now I still had. I don't think I'll ever get "rid" of another, I think it best to just take your time and save up and get the next. Safe queens? Yep I got them, but I'll never kick myself for getting rid of them, JMO...

Boolit Master

I would ditch two ARs to keep the Kimber.

.223 vs .22-250 depends on where you hunt 250 yds +/- i would be happy with the .223. Beyond that, I would want the .22-250.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    and now there isn't one gun that I got rid of that I don't wish now I still had. ...
    I'm the same way. My guns, while none are actually "collector's items," have all risen sharply in value.
    I have several Ruger No.1s that I paid only a few hundred dollars each, a custom Hart barrelled varminter that cost less than 400, to name a few. Now each of those are selling for more than a grand each!

When I die and my "gun stuff executor" (I have things set up that way) sells off my stuff and hands over the cash to my wife, she will finally have to admit, "I guess he didn't have too many guns."
    Plus, they are fun to just have! (as long as I didn't/don't spend grocery money to get them)

Boolit Master
    How many 223's can you shoot at one time?

I had five AR's at one point and got rid of three of them, including two Colt Match Targets. I thinned the hurd, and only kept of the two best shooters of the bunch.

I have a Kimber 84M Varmint in 22-250 like yours. I'd never get rid of it. If, or when, I have to get it re-barreled, I'll have it done in 22-250 AI.

Keep the Kimber!

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    ...The $$$ for a top tier AR is more than I'm willing to put down and It's not a necessity for sure and the Kimber could continue to collect dust. The funds from the potential sale of the Kimber bring the price down on the POF to about half and is more palatable. I was just kicking the idea around but don't want to kick myself in the butt down the road. Yall are my trusted firearms family so I turn to everyone's opinion.
    Sounds like some pretty hard rationalizing going on here, kind of like you've already made up your mind. Keeping it as simple as possible, if you sell the Kimber you WILL be kicking yourself in the butt down the road. Trust me, I've regretted every gun I've sold that I talked myself into parting with. Keep'em all & get a part time job...LOL

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DR Owl Creek View Post
    How many 223's can you shoot at one time?

I had five AR's at one point and got rid of three of them, including two Colt Match Targets. I thinned the hurd, and only kept of the two best shooters of the bunch.

I have a Kimber 84M Varmint in 22-250 like yours. I'd never get rid of it. If, or when, I have to get it re-barreled, I'll have it done in 22-250 AI.

Keep the Kimber!

Dave
    dave, if that is the case I have quite a few trapdoor springfields to get rid of

Boolit Mold
    Lots to be said for only having one caliber brass to worry about.

Read though this post and only have a few thing to say. The 223 and the 22-250 are very similar in performance. The big difference is the platform used for each caliber. If you like semi-auto and be able to empty a 30 round clip in under 5 seconds, then an AR platform is for you. 223's are relativity cheap by today's standards. And as long as the military is using it, it will be plentiful and cheap compared to other similar cartridges. The 22-250 will not be going away in my life time or yours, but it is more expensive to shoot. And in defense of the 22-250. There is nothing the 223 can do that the 22-250 can't do better.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 06-18-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: World's worst speller.

You dont have to convince yourself. If you are a a 223 guy and dont really shoot the 22-250 go ahead and sell it to get another 223. I myself never sell guns. I did sell one recently because I just really didnt have a use for it. I don't regret it because it wasnt something I was ever real thrilled about. I thought it was definitely a nice rifle but I didn't have much of a use for it and kind of bought it at the heat of the moment. Sounds like your in the same boat. If it is something you think you will regret selling even just a little bit then don't sell it. Its not something that has been in your family for years or anything. Its not a rifle you cant get again. Think about the type of hunting you will be doing in the future. If you plan on shooting stuff far in windy conditions like prairie dogs then keep it. If its like coyotes and small critters no farther than 400 yards use a 223. You can always rebarrel your remington 700. Or you could put a faster twist match barrel on an AR and shoot the heavy stuff. If the 223 is something you have been wanting for a while and its that one gun you always go back to, build it. If its something you just thought of and think it would be kinda cool to have then think about it more before you sell your other rifle. Im also building another AR next but a retro one. Im not too into building the new style ones. I like to have a couple for my specific purposes but like more historic guns for everything else. Just think long and hard if you think you will ever use it much. If I do build a new style AR the varminters are definitely my favorite type. Not into the super tactical stuff. Get what you want.

Boolit Master
    For years I never even concidered the .223 for varmint hunting and was set on getting a 22-250 if and when I got a 22 caliber varmint rifle.

Then I got my Remington VTR-15 in .223 and my opinion of the .223 turned 180 degrees.

It really comes down to your hunting conditions and range. Most of my groundhog shots are between 150 and 250 yards. My longest kill with the VTR is 344 yards IIRC. This was on a very calm evening.

The 22-250 is easily good for making 300 to 400 yard shots almost look easy but do you need that kind of range? If hunting in dog towns the extra heat of the 22-250 can also be a problem.

I'd say let the 22-250 go. It's probably a slow twist anyway. A good AR with heavy bullets could very likely do the same out to 400 yards. Of course there will be a little more drop.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Since this thread is "favourite CAST BULLET loads" I'm gonna suggest that neither is optimal but the .223 in a bolt gun would be close, the .222 better, and the .221 Fireball better still. The Bee, Hornet, K-hornet, and Mashburn Bee are tops, with optimal case capacity for cast boolits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I would ditch two ARs to keep the Kimber.

.223 vs .22-250 depends on where you hunt 250 yds +/- i would be happy with the .223. Beyond that, I would want the .22-250.
    This makes the most sense in terms of the rifles but if you rarely shoot the 22-250 and your friend is making a decent offer I'd let it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast