RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recalled 597 options

Boolit Grand Master

Recalled 597 options

Decided I won't risk shooting my 597 in 17HMR for liability reasons. Nice lady at Remington told me I could have it re-barreled for 22 Win Mag or get a check (coupon) for $200. I really liked it as a 17HMR but I did see a few pressure signs and discontinued use. Neither option is especially attractive, not a fan of the 22 Mag but I think that beats a coupon for well under the purchase price.
    What would (did) you do?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I'm with you, 22mag then get a bolt gun in .17
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd get it rebarreled, then see how it shoots. I would also gripe, moan, groan and complain loudly to Remington about them not offering to refund the full purchase price.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Dang a recall and reduced price of returned Item. They should request original recipt and refund full monies plus a few "gimmies" for your time/ troubles. That is showing the companies gall there giving used price on a recalled firearm.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The 22WMR option does shoot rather well .......................

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    The 22WMR option does shoot rather well .......................

Jack
    Thinking with a 22WMR it will be worth more to me than $200, especially since I upgraded the trigger and bought extra mags. My only 22WMR is a hideout NAA revolver. May have to shoot the 597 a bit after re-barreling then maybe trade it for a 17HMR bolt gun. I really like the 17HMR but actually have little use for any rimfire. Bottom line I don't want to take $200 for something I probably paid $300 for, especially when it's probably a coupon toward a new Remington. Don't much feel like a new gun right now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Complain, loudly. Then get re barreled in 22 mag. With the new VMax bullets, the 22 mag really shines compared to historical (in)accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

I dunno, Doc, I'm just not in the mood for drama lately. There's enough going on around here already and a nice quiet transaction would be a welcome change.
    Funny story: When the 17HMR came out I read the reviews, looked the ammo over and immediately determined that there is no way to economically mass-produce an accurate jacketed lead bullet that tiny. Then again I once opined that the then-new 40 S&W was a compromise between the 9mm and 45ACP with the virtues of neither.
    Live and learn, I guess.

If you've already had your trigger upgraded then you should be able to see quickly the 22WMR in a rifle is good for accuracy too .

As for value of them .... I think they are in the four to five hundred range but I haven't seen one locally , just gunbroker sales .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

According to my records I paid around $400 for the rifle, may have included price of the trigger kit I installed. Today I told the good folks at Remington that I've opted for the new 22WMR barrel. They're sending me a box, guess I better find the rifle and remove the scope maybe re-install the my trigger bits. Can't recall the trigger mod I made but I fear my new friends in NY may restore it to factory as is common for factory repair trips.

Putting back the original parts is a good idea . It's likely that you won't see a good trigger returned to you , unless they decide to clean up the Remington one .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Give it a try at least. Let us know how she works out. If mailing ammo wasn't so costly, I'd send you some ammo to try.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't recall exactly what I did to the trigger but I now recall I wasn't very happy with it, think it wasn't re-setting very well. Come to think of it, I'm not sure just where exactly this rifle is. Thinking I'll have to move a few to get to it, this could be fun.
    Osteodoc08, I'm assuming you're referring to Hornady ammo. Don't know much about 22 WMR ammo but in the 17 HMR Hornady made components for the other manufacturers. I think I've seen a fair bit of 22 WMR ammo on the shelf lately, hopefully some of it is Hornady.

Boolit Grand Master

TGN,

yeah. The hornady VMax ammo has shot pretty darn well out of my Voere.

Boolit Grand Master

Tried to pick up a few boxes @ Cabela's tonight. They said it quit showing up after 22LR started showing up. That made no sense but that's what they said. Picked up a nice Cimarron/Uberti 1873 in 45 Colt while I was dawdling around, couldn't find anything else I wanted.

Boolit Master
    Have them send you a couple cases of 22 lr ammo. Keep one and roll the other one for whatever you want for a rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a thought except I really don't think they'll go for it. I have a decent supply anyway, for as little as I shoot it.
    Not too happy with the 22WMR supply these days, I guess if it doesn't show up by the time my rifle comes back from RP I'll just trade the rifle in on something I can use.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, my 597 is boxed up ready to be shipped to NY. Still haven't found any 22 mag ammo but the rifle could very well be trade bait since I bought that Ruger American in 17HMR to replace it. I'll figure it out when it gets back, apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to screw a bbl on & off.

Thanks TXGunNut for the information. I've been sitting on my 597 wondering what to do with it and finally decided to make the call to Remington to have a 22 mag barrel installed. I had to ask for the box to ship it in.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have any questions PM me. I boxed mine up yesterday and my UPS driver said he'd have a call tag for it tomorrow. When you have it ready to ship download the service request and shipping label and then call to arrange for the call tag. That means the driver will have the shipping label but I would affix the shipping label Remington e-mails you as well. Put the service request inside, it may help if exterior labels are lost or destroyed...it happens.
    Good luck finding 22 Mag ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast