Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody use the Lee handpress loader or the Lee classic reloader

Boolit Grand Master

I found the Lee Hand Press so useful, I bought a second. I do more reloading and case prep with them than with my two bench mounted presses.
    They can be stored in a tool box with everything to reload with. I keep one in a gym bag with dies, powder, powder measure, primers and bullets...Take it to work and reload in my office...they are sweet.
    No problem reloading any handgun and 30-30 and 308 winchester. But...full length resizing some 303 British , fired in max. sized chambers of war surplus Lee-Enfields...the leverage just wasn't there. Had to use the bench mounted Pacific Super C with it's compound linkage for that. But that's the only time the little hand press could not do the job asked.
    Get one, in fact get the kit. My first kit had the press, dies, lube , primer seater and powder scoop all for a reasonable price. Ordered it from Midway.
    These setups are great for someone with no place for a bench. I do a lot of reloading at kitchen table, easy chair, on the bed, at the computer desk at home...in my office at work...
    Checked Midway...kit no longer includes dies but it's still a good outfit.
    Gary

Boolit Bub

LEE Handpress

Two years ago I had an accident at work where I broke my heel bone in 12 places. I could not put any weight on it for 14 weeks. I knew I was going to have to spend a lot of time on the couch so I purchased a LEE hand press. With it I spent may an enjoyable hour loading various cartridges from 416 Ruger on down. It resized all of them with very little effort. I would watch an old black and white movie and pound out 50 rounds in that time frame. I would use a hand tool to seat the primers and LEE powder scoops to charge the cases.
    I always thought I would take it to the range with me to load small batches while I was shooting. Still have not done that or in fact even used it since I regained the use of my foot.
    I love the little thing anyway !

Boolit Master
    Broke your heel in 12 places? Stay out of those places! No really, those Lee handpresses are pretty flimsy and won't stand up to any of my F.L. sizing, they are okay for light duty work in front of the TV or at the range, although I prefer my 310 tools for that type of thing esp. the ones with steel handles.

Boolit Master

I never had any problems with my Hand Press. It was the first press I could afford when I first started reloading, the 41 Magnum. When I got divorced and had to sell everything and start all over, I got a Hand Press again. Used the Lee Loaders for 45/70 and 303 for building up a load at the range. Great items and never bought any "real" dies since for those calibers.

If I had one today, I would skip the Breech Lock version and replace the breech srew with a Hornady LNL bushing and use them.. The Hornady bushing is better and cheaper.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Classic cast standard. Handpress is great for that case not prepped right or whatever while you are loading - just move the shell holder & go. Don't bother trying to resize MG fired 308W.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I am currently sitting here with 3 presses, a classic cast mounted inverted for bullet sizing, a bigger square D shape press that looks and feels like alum. And my hand press with the breech lock.

In I pinch I'd sell the others and keep the hand press. With it and a supply of the breech lock bushings you can do anything.

I will say that if you are full length resizing full sized cartridges get some imperial sizing wax.

I will never sell mine, or allow it out of my sight. Not without money in hand to replace it.

Boolit Bub
    I've got both!!!! I take my hand press to the range to work up loads on .223 and hand gun calibers! I take my components and drop everything off at the range table and start shooting nd testing.... When I first started I had a .45 ACP and .38 spl Lee loader that I wore out my plastic hammer with. Loads of fun when you're starting out.... And if you want to introduce someone to reloading, there is no better way than the Lee Loader!! One pkg of primers, some powder Ina medicine bottle,a handful of boolit s and some cases; and you are ready to teach someone to reload their own ammo! You should see the pride in their face when they crank off the first reloads and find out how little it costs!! Then you show them how EASY IT IS TO CAST BOOLITS!!!!! And how much cheaper reloading is!!!, Then you have made a true friend!!! My closest friends reloaders and casters of BOOLITS !!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    The Lee hand press is a "handy bit of kit" as our British cousins would say. It allows you the flexibility of 7/8 x 14 dies, whereas the Lee Classic Reloader (whack a mole) is limited to one caliber and neck sizing only. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but you can perform many more tasks with the standard size dies, and what did it cost you? About thirty bucks?

Like many here, I started with the Lee Classic Reloader but developed an immediate fear of setting off a primer using the hammer technique. Probably not a valid concern, but I went on to a standard bench press. I purchased my first Lee hand press out of curiosity later on and found it to be a very handy tool.

If there is one criticism of the hand press, it's that the links for the ram are somewhat thin. I've never broken mine, despite some pretty hefty sizing tasks, but if I did I would simply replace them with slightly heavier stock from any hardware store.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I've got three of the handpresses and use them for various tasks. They work well for me and offer a change of pace that is welcome from time to time. The only complaint I've had is in the size/decap work where it is to me a nuisance to have to pull the shell holder to empty the spent primers. They're fun to use and the compactness and portability are convenient for me. LLS

The Lee hand press seems like it is very very popular amongst the folks here. Amongst it being very portable and is also good exercise for the hands and arms before shooting. I really appreciate all the feedbacks on the Lee hand loader. The Lee loader is the direction that I am going to head in, I love the idea of it being portable to use anywhere.

The Lee loader is a great way to learn the steps of loading. A set of scales and a vernier caliper and you are ready to load. A tip with cast and the loader is to sit the projectile on the loaded case then seat, rather than dropping it down the through the seating die as you would with jacketed.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

I loaded 50 - .270s on Monday. Used the hand press while standing at the kitchen table laying it flat on big book. Used the Lee loader to finish, hand weighing each charge. It was 100* outside and just a good day to stay cool and not be in a hurry. OOOOH some pretty loads!

Boolit Mold
    Started reloading .38s with the "whack a mole" almost 40 years ago. Have progressed to other presses since, however the hand press would be convenient to take to camp or even trying different loads at the shooting bench.

Guess I'll have to wait for update from OP as I thought OP was asking about the hand press and the classic Lee loader in a box.
    ie. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Class...der/733635.uts

I have Lee Classic Loaders in shoulder bags for just about every caliber I have, 38/357, 45acp, 30-30, 45/60 & 30-06
    Good for the range, and just like the shooters from 100s of years ago.
    I can carry a reloading system for any caliber I wish to take to the field
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I have a handpress.

I think it can barely handle 30-06 but is small for such a caliber. And it will be a muscle training when neck resizing for me.
    And I could not make full length resizing with it. (I have only rifles, and no pistols.)

So I use this press for outdoor reloading with brass resized already done by other press.

Tomo sir, I have 3 words of advice for you.

Imperial sizing wax.

I have and use it. Nice product. It works perfect for usual press.
    I think I need muscle training.

Thanks though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12