WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My dad brought home a stray and I have to feed it

Boolit Bub

My dad brought home a stray and I have to feed it

The stray:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1886 riffle.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	142264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1886 model.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	142265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-90 WCF.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	142266

I'm thinking an NOE 350gr RD mold but not sure what powder. I don't need to run full power with the crescent butt plate but don't want the high pressure of using trial boss to take up the case volume. Has anyone reinvented the wheel on this or should I still be going with IMR4895 and 5744?

Boolit Master
    I would love to take the problem of figuring out a load, off your hands. She is really a beauty. I'm green with envy.

Seriously, I'd love to give you some suggestions, but I've never loaded for 45-90. However, there are several very knowledgeable folks here who have and I'll leave it to them to steer you in the right direction.

If that crescent butt plate gives you any problems, I would be happy to relieve you of this difficulty. I happen to like the crescent butt plates.

That rifle is sweeter looking than a new born puppy.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

Envious! Jealous! Did I mention Envious and Jealous?

For me personally, the only thing in the world better, would be in 50-110! That's just me.

You are one lucky Dog!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master

Light fun loads are:

40 grains of 3031 and 300 or 350 grain boolit

30 grains of 5744 and 300 or 350 grain boolit

This is an Express Round (light bullet)

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 06-17-2015 at 01:53 PM.

5744 is hard to beat, the only other powder I've used in a lot of a 45-90 was IMR 4198. I haven't loaded for 45-90 in about 10 years so it'd take a while to find my old load data. I know that if you favor a compressed load you want to look at Varget.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Light fun loads are:

40 grains of 3031 and 300 or 350 grain boolit

30 grains of 5744 and 300 or 350 grain boolit

This is an Express Round (light bullet)

Mike
    Yeah, it's an express rifle more so than the cartridge. The only reference I have is the lyman cast bullet handbook. They start with a 457124 at 385 grains. 350 is as heavy as I'll be going.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I would love to take the problem of figuring out a load, off your hands. She is really a beauty. I'm green with envy.

Seriously, I'd love to give you some suggestions, but I've never loaded for 45-90. However, there are several very knowledgeable folks here who have and I'll leave it to them to steer you in the right direction.

If that crescent butt plate gives you any problems, I would be happy to relieve you of this difficulty. I happen to like the crescent butt plates.

That rifle is sweeter looking than a new born puppy.
    Well, well. It seems Ole Smokeywolf dun fell in love with another mans girl!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    A model '86? crescent butt plate? octagon barrel? in 45-90? You're dog-gone right. If there was an emoticon of a mouth with a string of drool leaking out one corner, that would be me.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Bub
    A model '86? crescent butt plate? octagon barrel? in 45-90? You're dog-gone right. If there was an emoticon of a mouth with a string of drool leaking out one corner, that would be me.
    I mentioned my dad is the one who brought it home right? Hopefully it'll be many years before it comes into my hands along with the 86 in 33 WCF. Until that day I'll have you mind your manners talking about my sister like that.

Boolit Master
    Not to worry theleo, I have a couple of your sister's sisters over here; one in 40-65. A deluxe with XX wood, pistol grip, color cased receiver, single set trigger. She's a beaut, but not a 45-90.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I feed my 45-90 1 1/2Fg or FFg, still trying to decide between Swiss and KIK. IMHO case is too big for smokeless powder.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I feed my 45-90 1 1/2Fg or FFg, still trying to decide between Swiss and KIK. IMHO case is too big for smokeless powder.
    I definitely understand what you're saying, I'm just not set up to reload with black powder and have very little experience with it in general. I'm fairly new to casting and like to make reloading one new discipline at a time.

Boolit Bub
    Not to worry theleo, I have a couple of your sister's sisters over here; one in 40-65. A deluxe with XX wood, pistol grip, color cased receiver, single set trigger. She's a beaut, but not a 45-90.
    Sounds purdy. Honestly the only lever guns I really luster for is a pair of 32-20 model 92's my great grandfather handed down to my dad. Not pristine by any means but one is a trapper model and the other a saddle ring carbine. I don't this 86 or any other firearms leaving the family in my lifetime, and there's plenty of time for me to enjoy them at the ripe age of 29.

Boolit Master
    poor guy!
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Good Lord willing, you'll have kids to pass those irreplaceable family heirlooms down to.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

What and hell is it?? Model and caliber to make sense in this post

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    What and hell is it?? Model and caliber to make sense in this post
    I'ts all in the pictures...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Winchester 1886 in 45-90 with octagon barrel and crescent butt.

Geezer, thanks for asking

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Skeet: Those loads look pretty reasonable, do you know where a kid like me could get his hands on published data for 45-90 with bullets 350 grains and under? It seems to be a challenging task.

Boolit Master

The first edition (1958) of the Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets is available in a large format reprint from Cornell Pubs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handbook-of-...-/290893129399

There's data for the 45-90, 405 WCF, 33 WCF, all that cool stuff.

Snooky Williamson's "The Winchester Lever Legacy" has a lot of modern data worked up in original Winchester lever guns, seeking to reproduce the old high velocity performance.