Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homer Alaska

Banned
    Nice "chickens" & combat fishing on the Kenai. I know some big ones come out of there every year but I caught more & the biggest when I lived in Ketchikan. Actually caught my biggest about 200 yds out of the marina where I kept my boat at N. Pt. Higgins.

It doesn't matter where your at in AK the fishing is great!

Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't matter where in the world you are fishing is great! Because it beats being indoors or working!

Boolit Master

Have fun. I'd love to visit Alaska one of these days. Maybe next summer.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

How do Alaskans get anything thing done with all the fishing and hunting in the way?

Banned
    Since its light until 1 or 2am, you go fishing after work & then find a nice hidey hole at work the next day & sleep. Or be the boss & call in a fishing day!

Well, that's a place im die to go to ...Might have to send the wife off with the youngest to rome and me and the little red neck in the house do some fishing ,your so lucky ..have fun be safe .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    Well it is Sunday again and back at McDonald's for breakfast and catching up on e-mails. the whole down stairs apartment is sheet-rocked and taped and has the mud finished sanded, the bedroom is panted and just needs the wood work done.

Having a real shower in the house makes a real difference then the one in the camper, also the laundry room is finished and we have already done the wash, feels great to have a lot of clean stuff to wear and only a small dirty pile.

The boat was worked on yesterday and we will be out fishing today with it.

I will check back next Sunday with a update.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    PICTURES PICTURES

It ain't happening if there ain't any purdy pikchers.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    This is me on the left, with Nate my friends next door neighbors kid that is helping to build the house after fishing on the end of the Homer Spit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150628_223338 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	145415

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    How do Alaskans get anything thing done with all the fishing and hunting in the way?
    Contrary to popular belief, hunting seasons are pretty short here, except bear in this area which is year round.
    Also contrary to popular belief, Alaska, while it does have great hunting opurtunities, it has low game densities, compared to most states in the lower 48.
    Fishing is also great and out of this world, but if you are talking salmon it is only during the runs, and our daily limits suck big time if you fish for a food source. Living in the interior, if you want to fill your freezer, the best way is to hit the dipnetting areas, where you can actually keep enough fish to make it worth the drive.
    We have a local lake system here that has some out of this world pike fishing. There is a five fish limit though, and because of the time it takes to get to the fishing holes, you really need to camp for a day or two, or week. lol Even if you camp for a few days, you can still only bring 5 fish back, because of possession limits, which also sucks.

We have great trophy fishing and hunting, but it is not like you can do it anytime you get the chance, you have to try and balance your fishing trips with the runs, which can be a pain if you have to work for a living. I have driven 400 miles before, just to find out that the run was over 2 days ago, which meant it went from GREAT fishing (when I was working) to wetting a line 2 days later. lol

+1 I quit hunting cause it was usually while I was fishing. I took some of the neighbor kids up river in my boat I fished Silvers or Kings while they went moose hunting.

Get back home clean my fish, wake up in morning with a cooler full of moose sitting on my ADN!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

If you won the lottery you could hit a lot of stuff!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Man
    Speaking for myself, from Homer specifically-

Ocean fishing is doable after work, but plan on it being a late night... If you don't have a slip, the rigamorol of the boat launch takes awhile. During the weekend, forget it. The Anchoraguans (people from Los Anchorage) clog up the small boat harbor.

During hunting season- which for us usually means moose season, there are a lot of people, and little acreage accessible by land. I have a place that's 30 miles out of town, 9 miles from the road. During moose season, there are LITERALLY traffic jams on the trails with ATV's.

In order to have a perceived "Alaskan Experience" you really need an airplane, and several weeks a year off work.

Very little of Alaska is not owned by the Feds, and even less is able to be gotten to by land.

Boolit Master

@starmac
    My dads school friend has a brother in law up in Fairbanks. I know he could catch grayling out in the bush at his lodge. Do you have better opportunity hitting the small water fishing too?

Moderator Emeritus

Your seasons are long compared to here! Deer season here is only a week long for example!

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, hunting seasons are pretty short here, except bear in this area which is year round.
    Also contrary to popular belief, Alaska, while it does have great hunting opurtunities, it has low game densities, compared to most states in the lower 48.
    Fishing is also great and out of this world, but if you are talking salmon it is only during the runs, and our daily limits suck big time if you fish for a food source. Living in the interior, if you want to fill your freezer, the best way is to hit the dipnetting areas, where you can actually keep enough fish to make it worth the drive.
    We have a local lake system here that has some out of this world pike fishing. There is a five fish limit though, and because of the time it takes to get to the fishing holes, you really need to camp for a day or two, or week. lol Even if you camp for a few days, you can still only bring 5 fish back, because of possession limits, which also sucks.

We have great trophy fishing and hunting, but it is not like you can do it anytime you get the chance, you have to try and balance your fishing trips with the runs, which can be a pain if you have to work for a living. I have driven 400 miles before, just to find out that the run was over 2 days ago, which meant it went from GREAT fishing (when I was working) to wetting a line 2 days later. lol

Boolit Grand Master

The population here in Az. was just over 1 million when we moved here in 1981. Now there are almost 4 million in the "valley", phoenix metro area.
    Took me over 30 years to get drawn for an antelope tag here. Have gotten probably over 15 elk so no complaints there.
    Just this week the game and fish released info on mercury in our favorite lake to fish. Think this was the last of the warm water lakes to get this warning. Most of the cold water lakes also have it. They say to limit consumption to 2.3 ounces a week.

I would like to visit Alaska and do some ocean and stream fishing. Cold really bothers me now so may not happen.

Glad Doc is having a good time and not working too hard. Nice when your friends are around to share the load and just bs with. Keep up the good work.

In Remembrance
    Leadman, I wouldn't turn down an Alaskan trip because cold bothers you just yet.
    I had given up the thought of living in Alaska because authritus was getting tough in New Mexico winters.
    I was Hauling loads back and forth from the lower 48, and remarked to my wife, that I didn't remember any trouble, so I paid attention the next trip. Temps were down as low as 30 below, and no authritus problems.
    It is hard to explain, but the cold here feels different, it is not at all uncommon to run around in shirt sleeves in the 40's even down to the high 30's, where I would be suited up in my warmest gear down south.

Mary I wasn't thinking deer, as we do not even have them in the interior, soooo no season at all for us. Moose is our main hunting season, and is 2 weeks in most units, we do have a winter hunt you can get a permit for in some units if you don't fill your tag in the regular season though.
    Our local caribou season goes by quota numbers, and might be as long as 3 days, or as short as one day.
    Up north, there is longer caribou seasons.

Banned
    Wellll now, guess I need to jump in. After living in AK for various parts of 4 decades & having moved out because of the cold, I can say from my view point it can get cold & it can really suck!

When I lived in Ketchikan & Wasilla we had the ocean effect & it could very much have the Eastern US bone chilling effect. But! no where near as cold as FBs & the interior where it is very dry.

I have spent lots of time in the dead of winter in FBs, Bethel, Kotzebue etc & when it's 0 or 20 below or just pick a temp & the wind is blowing sideways, it reallllly sucks!

Now after saying that, it is no colder than living in Eastern Oregon, Montana, Wyoming etc when it's cold there.

The BIG difference is it lasts a LOT longer!

Starmac is right on about shirt sleeves at 40 or 50 & a light windbreaker in the 20s (as long as the wind isn't blowing).

It can also be "warm" right up till Xmas. I can remember years when we were out on our training field in Kincaid park doing bite work with the dogs & sweating our azes off in November & into Dec with temps in the 40s.

I can also remember 40 days straight from 0 to 40 below in Nov/Dec & 5' of snow in Oct.

I also know I would never have left if I hadn't of gotten sick & couldn't take the cold any more. There is no better place to live. From rain forest in the SE to tundra in the N, it is a amazing land.

As far as hunting & fishing goes you need a boat or plane to really access the remote areas & escape the combat fishing & road warrior hunters & the 4 wheelers off the road system.

Even though you have that, you can still hunt locally & do OK. I killed a nice moose off my 4 wheeler 1/2 mile from my place in Wasilla & have got bear & moose by boat hunting the Little Su, Big Su, Deshka etc. In Ketchikan you almost had to have a boat to do anything & the same thing applied. With my boat I caught halibut to 175#, 40# kings, tons of silvers & reds, moose & bear, black tails & had goats not far away. (to lazy to hunt them)

Great place but winters are cold!

Boolit Man
    Oh yeah, and the ground shakes quite a bit up here... Just had a 6.2 about 15 minutes ago

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    @starmac
    My dads school friend has a brother in law up in Fairbanks. I know he could catch grayling out in the bush at his lodge. Do you have better opportunity hitting the small water fishing too?
    Grayling fishing can be out of this world in some of the streams, even way up north, we have good pike fishing too, at times the salmon fishing can be good. The salmon are not the best eating by the time they get this far inland though, nothing like closer to the ocean.
    We have great fishing and hunting, just not what folks that read about it in the magazines think. The things you read about are true, but they are expensive fly in hunts, that the average local does not go on. Our whole state only has less year round roads than most big cities down south, probably 90% or better is not accessable by road. Where my SIL hunts, they take a rollagon 105 miles from the nearest road, they burn as much as 2 thousand bucks worth of fuel. lol Many boat hunters start out with 400 gallons of gas to get to there camp and back, this is in the interior, down on the coast the boats can carry lots of fuel. lol

I'm cheap, my boat is a 17 foot canoe, with a 15 horse, I can't go the distances the air boats go, but can get away from most folks with it, on the cheap.
    There are also places to get away with four wheelers, and even better with argos, without spending a small fortune.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast