Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336: Sight Recommendations

Marlin 336: Sight Recommendations

Time to upgrade the sights on my Marlin 336 in 30-30.
    Gun actually fell and chipped and bent front sight so might as well upgrade.

Looking right now like the best choices are:

• XS Sights Ghost Ring
    • Williams Aperture (Top Mount)
    • Williams 5D Aperture

Any thoughts, preferences, or suggestions.

Furthest shot for me hunting would probably be 100yds.
    Furthest shot to date only 40yds.

Let the games begin. Thanks.

DN

Boolit Master

Check out Skinner sights too:

That's not all they make but I liked this design. Feel free to drop this one and see if you can repeat the same parts breakage...!
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

I recommend the Skinner Sights also. While I don't use the winged sights like Maximumbob, I have the Guide Gun set on all my lever guns.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Skinner sights are great! I have two sets and like them allot. Plus, you get great support from Andy!!! Can't go wrong in my opinion.

PS, you may have to tinker with the proper front sight height.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Skinner sight on my 336 and love it. When I get another 336 it will also be topped with a Skinner.

Boolit Grand Master

Just put a Lyman 66LA on my waffle top. It was made for it, screwed right on.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Checked out the Skinner sights and really liked the look and priced good too.
    Thanks guys, keep any suggestions coming.

Boolit Master

Side mount Williams or Lyman, put Williams fire sight on the front. Sight in with the insert of either and then unscrew the insert and drop it in the bottom front of your rifle case. You do not need the insert anymore.

My Rifle with the same load sighted with has not moved in 12 years+++

Boolit Master

If you want maximum flexibility for various loads and ranges, you'll want to install a Redfield, Williams or Lyman sight. With their MOA (1/4 MOA per click-3 MOA per revolution) scales and adjustment you can maintain zeros for various boolit weights and velocities without having to resight the rifle if you keep a good log or data sheet.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I put a Skinner site on my Marlin 336 .375 Winchester and it works great. Changeable apertures' for fast to accurate. E-Mail Andy and ask him great guy to deal with. Just my $.02

Boolit Grand Master

Skinner

They aren't field adjustable for distance. But I've found no reason to adjust them. Buy a slightly taller front blade. And then file it down for the load. Mine are on hunting rifles so the sights are set up for a hunting load.

Moderator Emeritus

A lot of your answer really revolves around how good your eyes are. This will always be the case with iron sights. I've never had the very best vision, and now that I'm older, it's becoming a real challenge to use ANY kind of irons. If your vision is good, I'd recommend any type of peep rear with a 1/32" white bead front, or whatever color suits your environment best. I'm a hunter, primarily, and see white against the usual woodsy background best, normally, but your vision may well call for another, like a brass bead, or maybe black for your purposes. The main consideration for the rear is whether you'll be, or think you'll be, shooting at long ranges with your gun. If so, a sight like the Lyman with its long slide will give you the option since its slide is long enough to give you the proper elevation for some really long ranges. If not, any of the other, usually top mounted, sights should work. The top mounted sights are a bit neater, and avoid the "hump" of the slide on the side, so if you are sure you'll never need to shoot at long range, you'd do well to go with those.

The most frustrating thing for me about all this is that, with my vision in its current rather sad state, I usually see a squared off front, like the Baugman "Quick Draw" ramped front sights with a white insert best of all, but nobody seems to offer one of those in a bead front for rifles any more. The old Sourdough with angled front was a good one, but good luck finding one of those.

Sight choice CAN make a rather huge difference in your ability to acquire and use then quickly, so the matter merits some good consideration of the use you'll be putting them to. One of my favorite "river guns" is a Ruger Mk II std. model with the barrel shortened to 4" for ease of carry in a boat seat, and a set of adj. WO rear sights and a 1/32" white bead front. That little bead is just the right size for a snake's head, and the white shows up well against the black waters I love so much. Things like this - the application you'll be using them for, like field, target, long range, etc. - are the real determinants, along with the state of your vision right now.

Boolit Master
    I was always a fan of the williams but after seeing the skinner sights it's really making me look around....so to speak.

Ebner

Skinner sights have quite a following and are probably good sights. I have used the Williams 5-D for years now and pair it with fiber optic green front sights as they accomodate my older eyes in the field. I carry them on my 4 wheeler and tractor with no problems. As mentioned there may be others if one wants to change settings often. On my 92 Rossi they work for a couple of loads, one for plinking and one for deer. The deer load may shoot a little high but that isn't all bad.

DP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Been using Williams 5D-336 with slot blank and Lyman fine bead front on my 1894 and 336 Texan for years now. The aperture really helps my astigmatism.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    What Redfield, Williams or Lyman sight are out there that work well on marlin 1895 or 336 ?
    I see someone posted a 5D-336 anymore pics ? I like the looks of those sites and like the idea of fine tuning.

Williams makes 2 sights suitable for the Marlins. One now attaches into the rear 2 scope mounting holes. If drilled on the side then the Winchester Marlin sight works well. May have to get a higher front sight to go with them. I have used a .530 with good results.

DP

Boolit Buddy
    for what it's worth, i know it's not a traditional lever gun sight but i put ultra dot red dot sights on my lever rifles (marlin xlr 35 rem, 1894 cowboy 44 mag and a 336 30-30) its a lot more fun shooting and being able to see and hit something. my eyes and iron sights don't work out so well anymore. put the fun back into shooting for me.

Boolit Master
    The old school standard to which newer manufactures try to measure up too. Williams Foolproof.

Boolit Master
    I must be a little odd, but I was disappointed in the Skinner sight that I bought for one of my Marlins. My biggest complaint was the large "SKINNER" logo on top of the sight. It was just too much of a billboard to put on a classy levergun. My sight was brass so I just stoned the logo off and repolished it. Now I am fairly happy with it except for the rather weak looking post for the rear sight appature. It looks like a good bump would easily bend it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast