Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 22/410 savage overunder Quest. Safe to ream the 22 to 22mag

Boolit Man

22/410 savage overunder Quest. Safe to ream the 22 to 22mag

Town machinest in formed me he had a ream to change a 22 bolt action, or over under..... to a 22 mag.
    the old savage im sure can handle the pressure difference... but will it hinder the accruacy of the 22 long
    rifles very much.... having options is always cool expecially in this environment.
    thanks for any expierence.

Boolit Master

No comment on pressure but you will not be able to use .22LR after the conversion. Convertable revolvers always use two cylinders and TC produces separate barrels.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Be careful what kind of "bolt action" 22 you convert to 22Mag.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    If it is an old Savage 24 then leave it the way it is.
    I recently had one that was in perfect condition, that I was going to Bubba into a Custom Survival Rifle /Shotgun.
    I decided against it and sold it back to the guy I bought it from.
    It is worth more in the original condition then as something custom.
    I will find one in not as good of condition if I want to butcher one.

Different twist different bbl diameter.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people say BOLT GUN or CYLINDERS for pistols when the op clearly stated "over under" in his title line!!!!

Buy a 22mag/20gage over under shotgun/22mag rifle combo if you want to use/shoot 22mags in such a firearm. 22mag bullets are a true .224 dia and use a faster twist (1 in 14).

Boolit Master

There is actually a .001" diameter difference between .22 LR and .22 WMR.

Boolit Man

Thats why I love this sight...... Not afraid to tell you that you will be making a mistake..... Appreciate it guys....
    will keep it the way it is....

Boolit Master
    Also 22WMR is a lot more expensive than 22LR. If you can find WMR. Have a Savage 24 in 20ga/22WMR. Is a fun gun but a bit expensive to shoot.

Just a note on past experiences. I have seen what a 22Lr looks like after being fired out of a 22 Mag cylinder. The 22Lr round was very quiet and didn't have enough power to pass through a couch cushion. After the shooter pushed out his empties I saw that they were all burst down the side. I don't know how dangerous shooting 22Lr out of a 22 Mag would be, but based on what I saw It's a pretty much worthless endeavor to try to kill anything with a 22Lr cartridge out of a 22 Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I fired a .22 LR in a Savage M24 chambered for .22 Mag once. It ruptured the case. At the time I had no choice and would not do it again except in an emergency.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    Town machinest in formed me he had a ream to change a 22 bolt action, or over under..... to a 22 mag.
    the old savage im sure can handle the pressure difference... but will it hinder the accruacy of the 22 long
    rifles very much.... having options is always cool expecially in this environment.
    thanks for any expierence.
    I have one and thought about the same thing and my local gun smith said no way, the barrel is too thin. I also looked up the O U 22/410 and is the most popular one of all the different combinations. The prices run from 500 and up and go for as much as 700.

Boolit Master

Leave the 24 alone!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a 22lr it will not make a good 22rfm. Wrong bore size and the 24/22lr will be worth more!!!!

Do not screw with it for the few dollars you will make.

Boolit Master
    I think Chiappa makes an over under like the 24.

Double badger in 22mag/410

Boolit Man

Convinced.... the Savage will stay as is....... I just got my first 22mag..... its a PMR-30 from KelTec... and I have a relative
    who scored a load of 22mag yrs ago..... so my supply is good.... Im really liking the pmr.... so thought I would ask the
    collective opinions..... but the savage has been a great squirrel and bunny gun.... and this past yr....the rabbits have
    returned...so thanks again.... wont screw with a winner.....

Boolit Grand Master

IMHO a 22 lr barrel will not shoot 22 mag as accuratly as a barrel made for the cartridge. Also around here the older Model 24 Savage rifles are bringing a premium in factory condition. If a customer brought this in as a job of work i would talk hi out of it or buy the gun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The advice as to NOT shooting .22 LR ammunition in a .22 WMR chamber is quite correct.

If you want a lower power, low noise .22 LR equivalent to shoot safely in a .22 WMR rifle, the obsolete inside-lubricated .22 Remington Automatic and .22 Winchester Automatic rounds, and the .22 WRF lead bullet ammunition, is of similar case body diameter and bullet diameter to the .22 WMR, and will produce satisfactory results, IF the ammunition is reliable.

The problem is that these obsolete rounds have not been produced for many years, and they are scarce, expensive and collectible. Every so often CCI and Winchester make a short run of .22 WRF ammunition, and if you can find a box or two of recent production at a gun show, it is worthwhile to pick up some to keep around. Older ammunition produced before WW2 is better left for collectors, as it may not go off and is not dependable. I see Cabelas has new production.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-B...Box/740952.uts
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    Convinced.... the Savage will stay as is....... I just got my first 22mag..... its a PMR-30 from KelTec... and I have a relative
    who scored a load of 22mag yrs ago..... so my supply is good.... Im really liking the pmr.... so thought I would ask the
    collective opinions..... but the savage has been a great squirrel and bunny gun.... and this past yr....the rabbits have
    returned...so thanks again.... wont screw with a winner.....
    I think this was a wise decision. I doubt if the barrel would be too thin for safety, and there is a strong possibility that you would have got good accuracy with the magnum conversion. But it is a gun better kept as it is, and they are right about the impracticality and possible danger of using .22LR after conversion.

There are good reasons for the Magnum, once thought the wonder of the age, to have declined in popularity. I think you will find yourself using the Savage more than you would a .22 Magnum. The latter might have more point in long range shooting for which a converted rimfire target rifle would be good, or on slightly larger animals. But you have described the sort of shooting which is likely to be close-range and quick, with a light rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    I think Chiappa makes an over under like the 24.

Double badger in 22mag/410

Yep - I ordered/bought one a few weeks ago.

It was a lot less $$$ than a Model 24 ($300 OTD), and I like it every bit as much as the various Savage/Stevens 22/410's & 22Mag/20ga's I've owned over the years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Yep - I ordered/bought one a few weeks ago.

It was a lot less $$$ than a Model 24 ($300 OTD), and I like it every bit as much as the various Savage/Stevens 22/410's & 22Mag/20ga's I've owned over the years.

Good to know. I've been thinking about one. I got the little badger in 17hmr and one in 22lr. Hopefully the trigger is as good on the double! The little badger has a heck of a trigger.