Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New calipers from Midway. Spun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Bear in mind, Midway, Cabela's, RCBS, etc are not known for their precision measuring equipment. It's good enough for a hobbyist but if you wanted a B&S or a Mitu, you were looking in the wrong catalog.

Also keep in mind that Midway, Cabelas, RCBS, and HARBOR FREIGHT are all the SAME caliper except for the name and the price, most come from the same factory! If someone is going to just buy a cheapie then get it from HF because buying one with "Midway" or "RCBS" on it will not get a better caliper it will only cost more. There's nothing wrong with these cheapies for hobby work or reloading, etc as they tend to work just fine even if a little rough but if they are needed for more than just general bench work then spend the money for the real thing -Mitutoyo, Starrett or B&S.

Also the digital calipers are a heck of a lot tougher than most dial calipers! Over the years I have lost several calipers due to dropping, seems once they hit that concrete that's usually the end of them. Most of the cheapies won't survive a drop to a hard surface but even the "Shock-proof" name brands don't fair much better in that situation, of course they are not designed to withstand that kind of abuse and we shouldn't be dropping them right? "Stuff" happens! So a long time ago I started keeping cheapies around for general use and saved my beloved Starretts for the important jobs then (for the same reason) I picked up a cheap digital at HF because it was less than $10 and I was more curious than anything else, now I wouldn't be without them and at the price I have a bunch of them now! They are a bit rough when sliding but plenty accurate with good repeatability, the best part is they are seemingly indestructible and the older ones have survived several falls to the concrete after being knocked off the milling table, etc. Digitals, name brands or the cheapies, I have discovered are not NEARLY as fragile as the dial type and are quite accurate, still I prefer using a dial caliper and I just love the feel and trust I have in my Starretts but by far most of the use around my shop now is with Harbor Freight digital calipers and for a darn good reason.

Boolit Master

AMEN! I quit buying mitutoyo when the started making them in Brazil, those were worse than the the ChiComs by a mile. I have a bouquet of cheap Communist digitals and one Starrett. and they are indeed tougher than any dial caliper I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Also keep in mind that Midway, Cabelas, RCBS, and HARBOR FREIGHT are all the SAME caliper except for the name and the price, most come from the same factory! If someone is going to just buy a cheapie then get it from HF because buying one with "Midway" or "RCBS" on it will not get a better caliper it will only cost more. There's nothing wrong with these cheapies for hobby work or reloading, etc as they tend to work just fine even if a little rough but if they are needed for more than just general bench work then spend the money for the real thing -Mitutoyo, Starrett or B&S.

Also the digital calipers are a heck of a lot tougher than most dial calipers! Over the years I have lost several calipers due to dropping, seems once they hit that concrete that's usually the end of them. Most of the cheapies won't survive a drop to a hard surface but even the "Shock-proof" name brands don't fair much better in that situation, of course they are not designed to withstand that kind of abuse and we shouldn't be dropping them right? "Stuff" happens! So a long time ago I started keeping cheapies around for general use and saved my beloved Starretts for the important jobs then (for the same reason) I picked up a cheap digital at HF because it was less than $10 and I was more curious than anything else, now I wouldn't be without them and at the price I have a bunch of them now! They are a bit rough when sliding but plenty accurate with good repeatability, the best part is they are seemingly indestructible and the older ones have survived several falls to the concrete after being knocked off the milling table, etc. Digitals, name brands or the cheapies, I have discovered are not NEARLY as fragile as the dial type and are quite accurate, still I prefer using a dial caliper and I just love the feel and trust I have in my Starretts but by far most of the use around my shop now is with Harbor Freight digital calipers and for a darn good reason.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12