MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally got back to 1903a3 load testing and finally a decent load!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Excellent load, rifle and shooting 35 Whelen. Your sight setting is similar to mine when shooting the 311291 out of my rack grade O3A3.

Good luck at the match Mac. Hope you enjoy many 10s and Xs.
    Thanks can't wait.
    Well I snuck out Thursday for lunch/range run. It's a mad minute event rush there set up bang out a few rounds a screw back to work...any how just wanted to see if zero was good and loads are still good.
    So here was my results. Used gi web sling elbows on the table and just shot them at a steady pace. About a 20 second pace.
    100 yards....
    4 shots (yes I forgot to set my rear sight and plugged one low below the target!) Upper area you can pick out the 4 clean holes. That's the 160 grain flat nose tumble lube design ranchdog mold.
    16 grains 2400 , gas checked, LLA lube, wolf LR primer and assorted HXP cases. The next 5 are the more ragged holes in the lower right side.
    Lyman 314299 200 grain gas checked , 16 grains of 2400 ......
    I will take it. I will be running the 160s at the match as its just to hot to bother with casting up some more 200s.

EXCELLENT shooting. All this is making me want to drag my 03A3 back out again!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post

35W
    Me too!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Makes me wish I had one, too!

Just hafta keep plugging along w/my M1917.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Makes me wish I had one, too!

Just hafta keep plugging along w/my M1917.
    Looking for one of those myself.... hear they launch cast well also.

Boolit Master
    baby sitter bailed.....no shooting for me for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    baby sitter bailed.....no shooting for me for a while!
    Just hate when that happens, maybe it will be a short period before the sitter is back.
    Best wishes and luck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulator. View Post
    Just hate when that happens, maybe it will be a short period before the sitter is back.
    Best wishes and luck
    getting out to another match 10/16 just not sure if im going to shoot the 1903a3 or the swiss

It seems that the 1903-A3 is an excellent cast shooter. I was shooting the lee c309-113 on top of 10 grains of 700x and getting excellent accuracy. At 35 yards my best group was under a half inch. It's a great 100 yard boolit.

Boolit Master
    I have a lee 309 175 grain mold, 314299 sized to 310 and a 310 165 grain flat nose ranchdog mold which so far is the best shooting bullet. Driven as hard as 1800fps with no leading but accuracy seems to fade... right now 16-17.5 grains of 2400 with the ranch dog and tumble lube gets the best results out at 200.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 177417While not a light plinking round, at least that's what my shoulder told me after 7-8 rounds, I've had good results using a Lyman 311672, sized at .310, 32.0 grains of Reloader 7, CCI LR primer and mixed brass.

It'll be interesting so see how this load works in the 1917.

Update - this load in the 1917 is not even close, more of a pattern than a group.
    Last edited by Czech_too; 09-27-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: update
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post

35W
    ...and so I did:

1903A3-Range-Report-311672

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

bore scoped my a3 1943 barrel.... shot aprox 150 rounds of cast since I started this thread. dry patch just before taking video...

Boolit Master
    nice day and some fun shooting. now if I can just find some time to practice off hand and tighten my off hand groups up!

my 20 rounds combined in the prone stages

off hand.... inside the 8 ring is good for me and almost pulled that off today. by the end of the season I get close to putting them in the black but always 1 or 2 slip away

Boolit Master

After all the experimenting with my A3, the old standby 16grns 2400 under a 314299 works the best in my rifle. How often is the first load you try the most accurate?! Lol
    I must say, I love the light "shove" recoil of this load. I can plink or shoot steel with it all day long!
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    After all the experimenting with my A3, the old standby 16grns 2400 under a 314299 works the best in my rifle. How often is the first load you try the most accurate?! Lol
    I must say, I love the light "shove" recoil of this load. I can plink or shoot steel with it all day long!
    One of the guys on the line said I had advantage using these loads...and would call for a DQ if I was at a larger match.
    I to remind him of the rules or lack of for ammo. My ammo is safe and appropriate for the rifle that's about the only rule there is. For 200 yards they are great!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    +1 (almost) with out question...it was until the Saeco 315 (NOE 315 175FN / Accurate 175 FN) arrived it is by far the most accurate in all 30 cals. period.

Mac you might want to try sizing your bullets .311....out of the 50 or so 03's, 03a3's I have had .311 delivered the best accuracy, also a bullet with at least a 02 nose..check out NOE sit and his various 299's - 311/312/314

Great shooting as is..but could be better with more bullet experimentation..Dan

Words is screwing up yally this morning..sorry

Boolit Mold
    Nice shooting makes me want to break out my 03-a3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guicksylver View Post
    +1 (almost) with out question...it was until the Saeco 315 (NOE 315 175FN / Accurate 175 FN) arrived it is by far the most accurate in all 30 cals. period.

Mac you might want to try sizing your bullets .311....out of the 50 or so 03's, 03a3's I have had .311 delivered the best accuracy, also a bullet with at least a 02 nose..check out NOE sit and his various 299's - 311/312/314

Great shooting as is..but could be better with more bullet experimentation..Dan

Words is screwing up yally this morning..sorry
    if I had the time to work on my loads I would try some different bullets. Right now its 10 ring capable when I am.
    Im guessing if i sat down and shot these loads from supported rests they would be in the under 2moa range. As i find time i will test out other loads.
    Right now im looking to get a few more rifles under way for cast. Next up is type 99 and the enfield

Boolit Master

Springfield Loads

Just got an 8 lb jug of 2400 a few months ago. I shall try that load out as I have several hundred 311299 projectiles cast. I've just got to size and lube 'em.

Just got to love old army rifles and it will be interesting to see which of these Springfields shoot the load the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springfields 2-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast