Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Wichita & 7mm IHMSA

Wichita & 7mm IHMSA

Hello Folks,

I'm looking at one of these on the used market. Whatever you can tell me about it would be useful.

The cartridge is formed from the 300 Savage. Can they also be made from 308 Winchester?

How is the reputation of the Wichita MK-40 for reliability and accuracy?

Wichita has a web site, but it does not appear to be active. Are they still in business?

Photos of the gun do not show holes drilled and tapped in the ring, although a rear sight is mounted on the bridge. Do these guns typically come ready for scope mounting, or were they intended for iron sight use only?

Although intended for silhouette competition, the 7mm IHMSA appears to be a good hunting cartridge. Any opinions?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Grand Master
    Never shot one, but there were a few that did. I think Wichita is still in business. I bought one of their single shot break open models and emailed wichita a few times about extra barrels, last year.
    You are talking about the bolt gun, aren't you. If so, they were very accurate. It was the gun to beat. When they came out, there wasn't a scoped class in IHMSA IIRC, so wouldn't be suprised they aren't D/T for scope rings. The 7mm IHMSA was just a bit below the 7-08

Boolit Man
    You can make your cases from .308 but .300 savage is easier to form. I tried both cases for a case just a bit shorter (1.75") & cases losses are nil with the .300 sav. I would have used the IHMSA round for my rifle but the action is just too short so went with a 1.75" based on the IHMSA case instead- an extra step in sizing- 2 steps with .300 or 3 steps with .308 .

Boolit Master
    I have one of the Wichita bolt 7IHMSA pistols. I USED to shoot sillywets when I was younger. I have used it for deer and varmints with and with out a scope. I found a set of bases on line for it MANY years ago. It handles about any bullet, cast or jacketed, you want to use. I have a bunch of brass left over from the 300 Savage that I sold before I got the Wichita, and it came with a quantity of brass/ammo. The MAJOR problem I have with it is there is NO SAFETY, and no way to install one. I called Wichita about this in the 80's and was told "IT is a TARGET pistol NOT a hunting gun, so no safety is needed!" I do NOT carry it loaded when hunting.

Boolit Master
    I have noticed a lot of people "used to shoot silhouette" in their posts. Why have you stopped shooting, if I may ask?. IHMSA is still an active group and I have been shooting in it since 1984. Well kind of.. I guess I put more time into target setting, set-up and teardown then shooting now days, but still shoot when I can. That was the main reason for getting into cast bullets for me
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I have noticed a lot of people "used to shoot silhouette" in their posts. Why have you stopped shooting, if I may ask?. IHMSA is still an active group and I have been shooting in it since 1984. Well kind of.. I guess I put more time into target setting, set-up and teardown then shooting now days, but still shoot when I can. That was the main reason for getting into cast bullets for me
    Same old song, "Those Wedding Bells Are Breaking Up That Old Gang Of Mine".

Boolit Master
    Easier to make from 22-250 brass...

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    Work issues were the primary reason I stopped "sillywetting". These last years it's been health issues. Not being able to walk beyond 200 yards is a real problem! I STILL have several of my old guns and shoot ground hogs from the truck once in a while. I also have a friend who drives me to the farms and sets up a chair and tripod rest for me. The Primos 2 point rest works very well with rifle and handgun!

Boolit Master

I have a custom XP-100 in 7 IHMSA, Shilen SS match barrel , Brown fiberglass stock, the bolt has been lightened and a Sako extractor installed, work done by Barry Brown , a XP is allready drilled & tapped for scope mounting and comes with a safety
    As far as accuracy leaves nothing to be desired! will usually do under 1" at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    The NRA got into it and in some places folks went that route in lieu of IHMSA. Some ranges got lighter turnout over time and abandoned it. Other shooter got into action pistol.

I think because of this many don't shoot it or can find a range within a reasonable distance to attend without it becoming a weekend affair. That plus changes in a lot of states gun laws have folks either concerned or potential criminals if they were to attend.

Did it 30+ years ago with a Ruger SBH and cast. Was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    ...That plus changes in a lot of states gun laws have folks either concerned or potential criminals if they were to attend.
    I wish you would explain this remark. Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I have a custom XP-100 in 7 IHMSA, Shilen SS match barrel , Brown fiberglass stock, the bolt has been lightened and a Sako extractor installed, work done by Barry Brown , a XP is allready drilled & tapped for scope mounting and comes with a safety
    As far as accuracy leaves nothing to be desired! will usually do under 1" at 200 yards.
    Barry was a great gunsmith, shot sillywets a few times with him. He built my 7-08 rifle, although he tried to talk me into the 7 IHMSA.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Mold
    Cost was a factor, travel, motels, meals plus entry fees, gas. Reasons a lot of shooters left.

I still have my Barry Brown built 7 IHMSA XP-100. 14" Shilen stainless barrel. Besides all the reasons others stopped shooting silhouettes, my sister divorced my spotter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Our range quit having matches when turnout dwindled (before I moved here). Nearest matches are 5 hours away now. We re-did part of our range so we could start up again after a 30 yr hiatus, and hopefully will get one started soon.

Boolit Bub
    I have two Wichita MK 40 pistols, a 7mm IHMSA and a 308 Win. Like others have said, the 300 Savage is the more traditional parent case for the 7mm, and I have formed quite a few through a set of standard Redding FL 7mm IHMSA dies. Go light on the lube around the neck and shoulder to lessen lube dents. Today, I'd use a different parent case.
    I have a bench rest hunter class wildcat based on the 7 IHMSA case shortened to 45mm OAL. I previously used the 300 Savage case for that too. I recently bought 10 pieces of Lapua 6.5 x 47 Lapua brass to try as the Lapua brass is far superior to anything you might (hard to find) get in 300 Savage. I formed up those 10 cases by first expanding the necks up from 6.5 to 7mm in a Lyman "M" die and then one pass through a set of modified (shortened) Redding 7 IHMSA FL dies. Much better than starting with 300 Savage. The Lapua cases are easy to find, but they are pricey! The Lapua brass is a little bigger just ahead of the extractor groove so they could be a little tight in a minimum chamber. They worked fine in mine, and it is tighter than normal due to holding the reamer back short when chambered to the 45mm OAL. I'm guessing the modified dies acted more like a set of "small base" dies and squeezed the back end down just enough. They chamber fine but the first firing of them will be at the range tomorrow. The other "presumed" advantage to that brass is that it uses a small rifle primer, which handles higher pressures a little better and is providing smaller velocity extreme spreads as reported by the long range shooting bunch.