Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: torque wrench

Boolit Buddy

torque wrench

Hello everyone, I want to know with my wrench wheeler how hard I have to use to screw the barrel of ar 15, action of a remington police.
    There is a table with all the measures that I can consult?
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!

http://thearmsguide.com/5758/build-a...ceiver-barrel/

Initial 30 ft/lb - final torque to alignment no more than 80 ft/lb max

Liberally apply AeroShell 33MS grease to both the threads of the barrel nut and the upper receiver, slide the barrel nut over the barrel, and hand tighten the nut. Using the torque wrench and barrel nut wrench, torque the barrel nut to 30 foot pounds.More than likely, exactly 30 foot pounds will not allow for proper gas tube alignment with the barrel nut, so I typically “season the threads” by tightening, loosening and re-tightening the barrel nut a few times.
    Continue to check for proper gas tube alignment that is specific to your barrel nut. This generally means that when the barrel nut is timed correctly, the gas tube will be able to move straight and without hangups through either a notch or hole in the barrel nut and into the upper receiver.
    Once you torque the barrel nut to the initial 30 foot pounds, set the torque wrench for 80 foot pounds and continue to tighten the barrel nut until the correct timing is achieved. More than likely you will not reach the mil-spec cut off of 80 foot pounds before the barrel nut is properly timed. If you do end up reaching the 80 foot pound limit and your gas tube alignment is still no good, you may have to use a shim.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Artful for the help

Boolit Master

don't know how critical the torque setting is on one of those evil black guns but I have seen several engines ruined by a bad torque wrench. we have them calibrated at least once a year.

Boolit Master

not overly critical. generally torque to spec, then keep turning until you can get the gas tube through.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    not overly critical. generally torque to spec, then keep turning until you can get the gas tube through.
    Yep, and a lot of people don't even use torque wrenches. I'm not advocating the process. But 30#s is pretty minimal. And you'd really be pulling on the wrench to go over 80#s.

Boolit Master
    Government specs from Springfield arsenal. I am reading directly from the shop manual. When installing a new barrel on any rifle action the government worker should pull on torque wrench until right elbow clicks twice. Be sure you are using right arm.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Government specs from Springfield arsenal. I am reading directly from the shop manual. When installing a new barrel on any rifle action the government worker should pull on torque wrench until right elbow clicks twice. Be sure you are using right arm.
    What if it's digital and doesn't click?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Artful, if the torque wrench is digital and digit is Greek for finger it makes sense that your right middle finger should snap. Works for me.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    don't know how critical the torque setting is on one of those evil black guns but I have seen several engines ruined by a bad torque wrench. we have them calibrated at least once a year.
    Anyone that can beat a torque wrench out of calibration can destroy an engine with one in calibration.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beppe View Post
    Hello everyone, I want to know with my wrench wheeler how hard I have to use to screw the barrel of ar 15, action of a remington police.
    There is a table with all the measures that I can consult?
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!

I have built 6 ar's so far from a expert

Here is what Brownells has
    http://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Mi...ngAssembly.pdf

I have found 2 that needed shimming
    they would align perfect at around 22-25 lb and when I kept increasing tourqe up to 65 ftlb it still did not align up (one place recomends 30-65 max)

80 ftlb is a bit high in my mind seen too many threads strip by using too much force and the upper is made from aluminum

there is a tool to align / face the front of the upper but did not have

when i put the shim in (made from a pepsi pop can) and cut out (drawing template)
    when hand tight notch lined up ----and at 30ftlb plus it aligned up perfect -
    one on my 300 blackout and no problems so far and the other on a 1/12 cast ar rifle im working loads up on

After the fact I found out Im not the only one using a shim
    Last edited by Ford SD; 06-24-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more info