Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Another No4Mk1 found its way into my gun locker.....

Boolit Buddy

Cool Another No4Mk1 found its way into my gun locker.....

I picked up another matching No4Mk1 recently, the receiver, magazine and bolt all have the same serial numbers.
    It shoots straight with handloaded 174 grainers, but about 4 inches high at 50 yds, I know to use a 6 o'clock hold with these loads.
    It started out as an ROF rifle and went through the FTR program, it has what looks like Savage walnut wood with an alloy buttplate with FR stamped in the stock and a letter S on the upper band and fore wood metal. The rear micrometer sight appears to have been changed as well and has a letter B on the top, perhaps a BSA.
    The FTR is stamped in small letters on the left wrist along with England and has the usual BNP stamp on the receiver round, the 2.222, 18.5 Tons etc, stampings are on the muzzle end of the two grooved barrel.
    So, it appears I have a conglomerate of parts from all over the globe going into making one rifle, I love Enfield rifles.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master

Nice find. I love to fill my gun room with 303s, quite the pile in there now but always room for one more.
    the B you see might be a stylized D which stand for Enfield
    through out their issue life many were upgraded and FTRed, all good just the rifles history
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Nice find. I love to fill my gun room with 303s, quite the pile in there now but always room for one more.
    the B you see might be a stylized D which stand for Enfield
    through out their issue life many were upgraded and FTRed, all good just the rifles history
    be well
    The letter is clearly a B on the top of the micrometer sight, none the less, it's a part of the rifle history.
    The leather patch in the buttstock is still there, the one to keep the olier bottle from rattling too much.
    So, it appears to all be a factory FTR and not an add on by a previous owner. I wish they all came with a paper scroll in the buttstock telling of the places the rifle has visited.

Boolit Master

The "B" does it have a little leg?
    Could be LB for long branch, it is all in one letter.
    be well.

But, I don't see a picture......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    The "B" does it have a little leg?
    Could be LB for long branch, it is all in one letter.
    be well.

No little "leg" in the letter B, I believe Longbranch and Savage used the sliding type micrometer sight not the screw adjustable one.
    It was FTR'd and restocked with Savage wood, bands, etc, the sight is probably BSA, definitely English in origin. The original Savage serial number on the wood is lined out and the new serial number stamped on to match the serial number on the receiver.
    I haven't had a chance to get some pics, I hope to soon.

I believe Longbranch and Savage used the sliding type micrometer sight not the screw adjustable one.
    One of my Longbranch No4's has the screw type. That's not to say it's the original sight though.

P.S. If you have photo's, please feel free to send them to me to post.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-19-2015 at 03:20 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=303Guy;3281841]
    I believe Longbranch and Savage used the sliding type micrometer sight not the screw adjustable one.[/QUOTEOne of my Longbranch No4's has the screw type. That's not to say it's the original sight though.

P.S. If you have photo's, please feel free to send them to me to post.

Thanks Pete, I will get some pics done soon and send them along to you. The sight on my No4 is probably not original, it very well could be BSA.
    Brit rifles had the adjustable micrometer, Savage and Longbranch had the slider type from the ones I have had, during FTR they use what is in stock to get it back into service.
    The Savage wood fits nicely and looks good on the rifle as well. I thought about putting a brass buttplate on it, but the alloy one is original to the FTR, so I left it as is.

My Longbranch has the adjustable micrometer sight and it is original. Made in 1950.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    This No4Mk1 seems to be a lucky rifle, so far I have seen 7 Roosevelt elk while packing it, the last cow elk stood 50 yds away and watched me as I tried to take pics on my old phone, they were too grainy to make out. I expired several invasive pesky long eared varmint critters with the No4 as well, a slight windage adjustment was needed for some finer shooting on such small critters as the European Cottontails we have here.
    I have sent 303guy some pics of the No4, he has graciously agreed to post pics for me again.
    I wish Pete lived a little closer, I would like to buy him a cold drink and shoot some bunnies with him.
    There should be some pics to view soon, thanks again Pete, John

Here it is! Beautiful.

If I ever win the lotto and make it your parts I'll take you up on the beer and the bunnies.
    Got to win the lotto. Got to win the lotto ....

Nice!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Very nice example.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    When I received the No4, it was in need of some TLC. I used 0000 steel wool (gently) and linseed oil to get the outer grime off of the wood.
    The fore wood and upper handguards were removed to clean, the buttstock was left on as I didn't want to damage the leather gasket on the inside.
    I used a lot of Hoppes No9 and a bunch of patches to get the bore shiny, I had to fight the spiders and dust bunnies for nearly an hour though.
    I bought the rifle from a Navy veteran, he said it was not fired in the 40 years that he had it, I believe him as there was 40 years of "stuff" all over and in the rifle.
    The barrel has the original cosmoline covering it, I left it alone as that stuff is just nasty to remove and better left on the barrel anyways.
    Thanks again to Peter for taking the time to post the pics, John

Boolit Master

Nice find!!!
    Be well

Boolit Buddy
    I did some minor work on the No4, according to the writeups I read, the No4 barrel was designed to free float from the factory.
    It is supposed to have 20 thou free play all around at the muzzle, mine was free all except for it having an upward pressure and was resting on the wood underneath the metal end caps.
    I simply relieved some of the wood and restored the clearance at the muzzle end, this changed the accuracy to the good and the point of impact dropped a couple inches.
    While I had the rifle apart, I noticed the barrel was changed when the FTR was done as the old serial number had been lined out.
    From what I can see, the receiver, bolt and magazine were used with the barrel being changed and all of the Savage wood and assorted metal were used to make a complete rifle.
    There is a shaped wooden block inside the stock where the receiver and barrel meet, I imagine this was used to properly bed the magazine well and king screw and to align the barrel in the channel.
    It was professionally done, the small bit of woodwork I needed to do was probably due to the wood swelling during the time from WW2 till now.

I used 0000 steel wool (gently) and linseed oil to get the outer grime off of the wood.
    Linseed oil and turpentine (genuine) do wonders on old wood. New wood too for that matter. Fine steel wool polishes wood nicely too although I prefer Scotch Brite pads so as not to leave steel behind that can rust in time. That's the theory anyway.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Linseed oil and turpentine (genuine) do wonders on old wood. New wood too for that matter. Fine steel wool polishes wood nicely too although I prefer Scotch Brite pads so as not to leave steel behind that can rust in time. That's the theory anyway.
    Bronze wool found at boat painting or high-end cabinet shops works best for wood polishing with linseed oil or turpentine. Steel wool particles can and do get trapped in wood grain or crevices. Also unmatched for removing rust from metal but preserving patina or bluing

.303, you really found a nice rifle there, complete with the micrometer sight and Walnut wood. I don't get them shot very often but I greatly enjoy the Numbers 1 and 4 that I have.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I did some longer range shooting tonight with some 174 RN handloads and a couple 180 RN Remington Core-Lokt bullets, the target was a rock the size of a deer across a big open pit at 200 yds+.
    I shot a rested prone shot and held right on what would be a heart lung shot, I saw a puff of dust but it was far enough that I couldn't see the spot I hit.
    I made the short hike over to the boulder and had a look, the hit was a high heart lung shot and definitely a kill shot for sure.
    I am happy to see such accuracy out of a battle rifle that was made during WW2, I am even happier that my 57 year old eyes can still make that shot without glasses.