Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on filling the pot at the end of a casting session

Boolit Master

Cool Thoughts on filling the pot at the end of a casting session

As I finished my casting today and refilled and skimmed the junk off before turning it off I realized I might be doing this somewhat differently than others:
    Once I'm done casting I return all the spur to the pot along with enough ingots to fill it. I give it a change to heat up to melt all the added lead and I remove all the trash and such.
    This way it's one homogeneous mass and there is no water trapped inside that could explode when the pot is reheated down the road.
    It takes a bit longer for the pot to cool off but it's all ready to go for the next casting session
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Not a thing wrong with that, for exactly the reasons you described. It wouldn't be practical for people who use more than one alloy but it works well for me.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I use three separate pots, one for soft alloys, one for hard alloys, and the third for mixing. I usually try to keep an inch or so in the bottom, just because I think that it helps to get the next batch melted faster when I start my next casting session.

Boolit Grand Master

I use two pots, one for hard (dipper only), and a 20 lb lee for soft to med hard.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

+1 on the inch or so.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I leave a couple of inches, to half. I would leave it full, but I gotta carry it in and out before/after using.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy

I do as Beagle, unless I am going to change up alloys (only have one pot ) and then I pour off the remainder after finishing the casting session into an ingot mold and pack em away for next time around. Gives me a chance to clean the pot once in a while too..

I also return my sprue and some scraps as I find them as I cast. I am old.. need a break on occasion, let the melt get back up to full temp and the mold to cool a bit.. and me to cool a bit.. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

One other trick Ive done in the past is after the full pot has solidified and is still warm run a wax candle or stick of beeswax around seam of pot and lead. This provides a seal between the two and acts as a moisture barrier also. dossnt take alot of wax but the additional seal may help in very humid conditions.

Boolit Buddy

I do this as well, since I use beeswax almost exclusively in my casting pot, I add a little at the end when the pot is cooling pretty well down to coat the surface of the remaining alloy and it helps keep the rusting down on the walls of the pot too in humid summer conditions around here (I keep the pot indoors, but cast in the garage).

bhn22
    Since I am using scrap metals for casting, I mix each pot up to match the needs of my next anticipated batch. Then I cast that batch until it's almost used up. Then I mix a new batch and start the process all over again. My range scrap varies in it's hardness, as do wheelweights anymore, so this is the approach I finally took. I keep all lot numbers separated and marked, of course.

Boolit Master

understand the weight issue--mine is on a rolling table so it comes out of the garage when casting. I think the 'right' way is whatever the caster does, short of pouring water on the molten metal.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I always refill, flux & clean prior to turning off at the end of the casting session. Being the OCD type I have 3 pots ready to go anytime with different alloys depending on the need. Yes, the full pots when cool do weigh a bunch but I am fortunate to still be in good health and can carry them around.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I always keep my cool pots at least 1/2 to 3/4 full when I'm done. All the sprue goes back into the pot, remelted, skimmed, then I turn off the pot. When it's cooled enough so you can hardly touch the pot without being burned, I take some of the excess boolit lube from the luber and put it on top of the cooling lead. This seals it from moisture, but most importantly it keeps the oxygen away from the lead in the pot thus really slowing down the oxidation of the lead mix
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I usually fill the pot back up unless I'm planning on giving the pot a good cleaning at the end of a casting session. After I clean the pot, I fill er back up.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I don't fill it per say, but I never let it get more than half empty. So sometimes it gets shut down that way or a bit more. Faster start up if it is only half full.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I started casting in 1970 and my mentor at that time taught me to refill the pot when your casting session is over. I live in Louisiana and have never had one single problem with moisture on my next start up. If it's going to happen, I would have seen it here in the land of 100% humidity days.
    When you fill the pot up at the end, it makes your next session easy to start. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

heating a cold, full pot would give any moisture time to remove itself

Boolit Buddy

I use 2 pots, one for soft lead for m/l round balls and the other pot for hard boolits. I fill the pots when I'm done casting, let the lead start to cool, then sprinkle saw dust on top. I leave the ash on top and store the pot
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Buddy
    When casting I throw the sprue back in, let them melt and keep going. When I'm done I'll unplug the pot and throw the pile of sprue in to cool it down faster and keep the pot primed for next time.

Boolit Buddy
    I like to keep it all together as well, pot stays fluid why not put all the same alloy scraps back in!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast