WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a snubbie

Boolit Master

Picked up a snubbie

After thinking about it for a couple of days and talking to the folks on the S&W forum bought this revolver. Wife told me to find her a revolver that she could carry in her purse or pocket when out walking but now I am not so sure she will end up with it. Local BX had a 10% off sale so it cost $355.50 OTD and no sales tax. This little thing is really growing on me. Five years ago never thought I would end up with a hammerless .38 special but life is about trying new things. I can see a couple of more of these in our house in the years to come.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about a derringer but that may be a better choice let us know how it shoots!

Handles a new one a couple of months ago, same model I think. Almost bought one for my wife,it looks like a really nice little gun.....enjoy

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	142075Be careful! The darned things multiply like rabbits!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Congratulations - everyone ought to own a pocket gun!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 340 scandium titanium in 357 mag and a 36 airwieght in 38spl. Both are great shooters but the 340 airlite is a handfull due to the extreme light wieght. I have shot one 640 ( stainless steel) while heavier than mine recoil was much reduced due to the weight increase. For awhile Smith made j frames with up to 5" barrels. Id really like to try one with the 3" barrel. Alittle more muzzle weight, slightly longer sight radious would be benifits.

Boolit Buddy

Great choice, I want to get my wife one but I can't even get her to shoot a pellet pistol. I'll wear her down eventually.

Boolit Master

why do a lot of folks consider these to be girlie guns?

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure. I've always wondered that myself.

Banned
    The Hammerless, snubnose 38 Special revolver is one of the greatest self-defense tools ever invented !

Gun store commandos, mall ninja's and other assorted wanna-be's will disparage the snubnose 38 but their opinions are seldom, if ever, based on actual experience.
    In the real world, where most of us dwell.......having a gun on your person, that is easy to use under tremendous stress and is rock solid reliable is worth its weight in gold.

Get to know it, learn how it shoots and carry it. If you stick with it you'll likely find that there is a LOT more in that little package than meets to eye. Enjoy your new gun.

Banned

Don't leave two of them in the safe together...

Boolit Master
    What's not to like?
    Small.
    Lightweight.
    Safe to carry - very resistant to ADs.
    Surprisingly accurate.
    Power level suitable for self defense with good ammo. (Gold Dot 135s or lead SWC HPs.)
    Extremely reliable.
    Will fire from inside your coat pocket if needed.
    Will fire again and again from inside your coat pocket. (Try that with a semi auto.)

There's no faster draw than having the gun already in your hand. If your wife should find herself in a questionable situation (perhaps walking to her car later at night than she anticipated through a parking lot darker than she'd like) she can have her hand in her pocket with that revolver in her hand. It's one of the things that a hammerless revolver does best.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The Hammerless, snubnose 38 Special revolver is one of the greatest self-defense tools ever invented !
    (Snip)
    In the real world, where most of us dwell.......having a gun on your person, that is easy to use under tremendous stress and is rock solid reliable is worth its weight in gold.
    Well said.
    There's a reason why it's still one of the most popular carry guns ever made.
    Congratulations to your wife on her new revolver.
    Get one for yourself too.

Uncle R.

Banned

Guess what Jerry Miculek carries? A J Frame in a pocket holster. That is quite an endorsement. I have had a few J Frames and a couple LCRs. Really like the J Frames, will always own a couple few, but love the LCRs. Ruger really nailed it.

Banned
    As Uncle R said, get one for yourself too .

As for potential loads for the snubnose 38, opinions vary but I'm a strong supporter of the classic "FBI Load". The soft lead, 158 grain, semi-wadcutter hollow point loaded to +P velocity has an excellent and lengthy track record.
    Uncle R mentioned the Gold Dot 135gr load (Speer Gold Dot 135 HP, sometimes referred to as the "Gold dot short barreled load" ) and that round has a good track record as well.
    Most fixed sighted 38 Special revolvers are regulated for 158 grain bullets. Between the 158gr FBI load and the 135 grain Gold Dot, you can usually find one of those two rounds that will center the group with fixed sights and they are both credible SD rounds. Others will have additional recommendations but those are the two loads I prefer for SD work with a strong favor towards the FBI load.

The standard pressure 158gr SWC is a fine "do all" load and a good speedloader friendly practice round as well. The 148 gr. wadcutter is also a good practice round, produces less recoil and consumes a bit less lead & powder.

Speedloaders are good tools but a bit bulky for some concealed carry situations. The Bianchi Speed Strip is an excellent alternative that allows one to carry a reload without a lot of bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    why do a lot of folks consider these to be girlie guns?
    Historically speaking At the early part of firearms production
    Women carried their own self defense in the form of Muff Guns

At first they were single shot black powder of small dimensions and latter
    they were marketed short barrel small caliber revolvers.

Like this LadySmith in .32
    Usually more cosmetically appealing - and it continues today

Though the advantage of a carry bag is that you can
    regularly carry a larger handgun without much bother.
    Last edited by Artful; 06-14-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    I will not pretend to advise the female portion of the population but I'm not a big fan of "off body carry" (as in a purse, backpack, etc.)

Boolit Master

50/50 WW-Pb air cooled. These do this every time, through denim, through wood, cross grain wood, end grain wood, straight water, everything I tried it on. Easy to get them over 850 fps. from the 1-7/8" barrel. Not a cannon, but I wouldn't want to catch one.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Performance Center 642 last year and love it. It has been my carry gun everyday since. I started off carrying the Remington Golden Saber home defense ammo. Claimed it was for short barrel guns. Shoots pretty well out of my little gun. I just found some Remington +p 158gr LSWC and will be testing them out. I know that my hand loaded 158gr shoot pretty much to POA so i'm hoping the Remington will do the same.

Boolit Grand Master

After going back for my wifes pirse several times when she forgot it Im not a big fan of off body carry either. Un fortunatly with a ladies shape, curve and build finding a comfortable means of carry can be harder than for a man.

je suis charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast