Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 155 Grain Cast for .40 S&W?

Boolit Man

155 Grain Cast for .40 S&W?

Well, I hate to admit it, but I might be getting old...

I've been shooting a lot of cowboy loads recently, fairly heavy boolits at pretty low velocity, in an effort to bring up my speed during matches. And since I want to shoot Wild Bunch, I started experimenting with lighter bullets and lower velocity in the 1911, with a goal of being able to place three aimed shots in 1 second. I found a load with a 185 grain SWC that my current 1911 really likes. Now, here's where the getting old part comes in.

Went to the range today with my usual shooting partner, and decided to shoot my P226 in .40 S&W, rather than my usual sixgun. I was shooting some 180 grain plated bullets at pretty close to factory velocity, 5.2 grains of W231. I took about 140 rounds with me to the range, and was doing pretty well up until about 80-90 rounds in, when the holes in the target started getting farther from the middle. Now, I'm not a recoil wimp by any means, but I definitely felt my right wrist getting tired (I'm right-handed). I had to take a bit of a break, after which the rounds went back to hitting where I wanted them.

So, I thought I might do that same thing with the .40 that I've done with the 1911; reduce the weight of the bullet and the velocity, to increase the (my, not the gun's) accuracy, and make it more pleasant to shoot. So, I'm going to buy some 155 grain SWC boolits, and bring down the velocity to 800-850fps, since all I do is punch paper and shoot at steel. Anyone have a favorite load for a 155 grain lead in the .40 at around that velocity?
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

For really light loads, I like 6.3grs AA5 and 160grn RN. Haven't checked velocity but I'd gander 800fps.

Boolit Grand Master

No sense in beating yourself up needlessly. This is why I got rid of my 454 Casull. You'll just have to experiment and see what your gun likes. No cookie cutter recipes work from gun to gun.

Boolit Master
    You probably already know this but the low power rounds you want to shoot in 40sw will probably require a lighter recoil spring or the slide won't cycle.

And as long as you're shooting 155gr, maybe see if MiHec has any of the .40sw 135gr hp molds left. I bet those things moving at 800fps are real soft shooting.

I enjoy shooting the loads I load for my wife's 40, 165g with 3.5 to 4g Titegroup, trying some 140g cast with the 3.5 TG next...

Boolit Buddy

My Glock 23 will function with 4.5 of 231 and the 155 MP hp. It has the factory recoil spring yet.
    It has at least a thousand rounds thru it tho.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    You probably already know this but the low power rounds you want to shoot in 40sw will probably require a lighter recoil spring or the slide won't cycle.
    Possibly, but maybe not. I thought I was going to have to change the recoil spring in my 1911 to shoot the 185's, but even with a brand-new 16# (stock power) spring in it, it runs just fine.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

I don't use the same powder you do so my load data probably won't do you any good, but I can tell you for certain that using the 155 grain boolits makes the 40S&W shoot very easy on the hands.
    I started using that boolit weight to take the pressure off the arthritis in my wrists and it worked like a charm. I found an older custom mold from Lee in a 6 cavity that drops excellent tc boolits right at 152 grains. They shoot great in my guns.
    I left the powder charge the same as for the heavier boolits and used the same recoil spring. They feed just fine for me.

Just saw this thread.
    I have a Sub .40 XD, I shoot Store bought 155SWC, I use 4.2 Bullseye, or 5.7 Unique, 1.120 oal.
    I never Chrono'd the load, groups 1 ragged hole, not much leading.
    I too do not like to beat myself up on practice, like your way of thinking.

Barman54
    out

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post

And as long as you're shooting 155gr, maybe see if MiHec has any of the .40sw 135gr hp molds left. I bet those things moving at 800fps are real soft shooting.
    A big 10-4 on the Mihec 135's ... works good in my keltec P-40 with lighter springs , won't find any thing smaller than that pistol in 40.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    I compete in action pistol and 3 gun with a tricked out XD 40 4". I ran 155 lswc over 4.6 grains of hp-38. It was not as low as I could go, but accuracy was good and it cycled well. It was much better than factory loads, but the wax lube sucked with that powder.

I have been shooting an NOE 160 rn pb PC and it was very nice over red dot powder and I had very low recoil with this load. I bought a jug of tight group and use it, but I am running a load with a tad more recoil than the red dot load. Shooting weak hand or single strong hand takes more powder than shooting with two hands. The red dot load was likely too light to function in all conditions. Tight group is not bulky enough for my taste but it works just fine.

140 grain bear creek moly coated make a light load, but the are louder than a 180 grain moly that is loaded light. The 140 is almost square and gets stuck in my bullet feeder, so they are a no go. The 160 rn and 180 moly work great in the bullet feeder.

That 160 load with TG might have the same recoil as as factory 9mm, if that.

I use a 165 TC cast with 4.5 of 231, easy to shoot one handed from XD40. After 100 rnds my arms get tired too but that load went end-to-end in a good sized pig ~20yds. It will probably do fine at 4.2gr. I changed to WST for the 9mm XDs (130gr TC) for an easy to shoot but hard hitting load.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold

Cool THerbert

Did you ever locate load data for:
    .40 155gr Cast/coated?
    I need the same but for Titegroup.
    Any help?

Boolit Master

I probably shot 2500 of these last year from my G35 and AR!

Love the lil Lee 145g bullet. I get it moving with a splash of tite group and a win SPP.

The 175 dosent feed from My AR. The Glock feeds everything so I went with the 145 for both.

Zero issues toppling poppers or large plates.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by Gunru View Post
    Did you ever locate load data for:
    .40 155gr Cast/coated?
    I need the same but for Titegroup.
    Any help?
    The Hodgdon data site has load data for 150-155 grain bullets and plated using Titigroup. The load data is so similar, I think you could use that for reference.

Boolit Master
    Not 155, but I have found 4.3 gr. 700x to be nice under a 145 swc in .40. Start around 4 and find a sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I load 7.5gr of Unique under my MP-molds 155gr slick sided HP boolits. Shot a bunch of them this past Sunday with my nephew.

I use 5.2 grains of unique with a 155 grain cast out of my SA 1911
    Big Sandy Shooter